• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2021 (October 9th)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well this race was a let down after the WRR and PR. I think the DQS plan was reasonable. Masnada catches Pog, sits on, and the group pulls Ala up to them. But Vinnie wasn't catching Pog on his own so the group realises it has to work together. Ala can't work cause his teammate is up the road, Bardet doesn't want to get out punched or out sprinted, two legendary non-pullers in the group and Roglic is cooked. So the chase starts falling apart when Bardet tries to attack. Ala tries a desperate attack on the flat and then gives up. Pog beats Gandhi in the sprint.
It would have been a great race if they did Selvino proper after Ganda, I'm quite sure.

Reactions: topcat
According to his Strava Fortunato did the Ganda climb only 25sec slower than Bardet. Was he caught behind when a split happened before/early on the climb?

The second Nibali attack with Pogacar and Bardet joining made a decisive split with the Masnada group chasing and another small goup a little behind. I suspect Fortunato was there. Then Pog took off, Nibali and Bardet were reeled in by Masnada and until the end of the climb the group that contested the third place dropped the others who couldn't keep up.

Reactions: Mayomaniac
Interesting stat from yesterday during race. Is that reliable data? That is 40W difference, plus Roglic is lighter.

7BWsysy.png

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If anything suprises me from that comparison, it's the average cadence. I thought Alaphilippe usually uses a bigger gear than Roglic.

Roglic has pretty much changed cadence this year. He climbs on a big gear & doesn't spin his legs like previous years.

It seemed to work better for him (& might be related to his TT as well which he improved this year).

Roglic has pretty much changed cadence this year. He climbs on a big gear & doesn't spin his legs like previous years.

It seemed to work better for him (& might be related to his TT as well which he improved this year).
Fron anecdotal evidence I'd say that lower cadence is better at lower intensity, when wear and tear on the muscles isn't a concern. If I try to spin my heartrate always goes up, even at lower intensity. If I try to keep my heart rate in the 120-130 bpm range I ride a lower cadence.

Last edited:
Fron anecdotal ebidence I'd say that lower cadence is better at lower intensity, when wear and tear on the muscles isn't a concern. If I try to spin my heartrate always goes up, even at lower intensity. If I try to keep my heart rate in the 120-130 bpm range I ride a lower cadence.
Anecdotally, as a couch potato who doens't really tryhard, I've noticed the same. I used to ride a rather high cadence even at low intensities because of some knee issues and I would get tired idiotically quickly.

I had mentioned noticing that before the TdF and that change likely was a power choice. One that would see his Tt'ing improve; which is seems to have done as you've said. It's the wild card each year for a rider program; selecting the prime race that counts most.

In hindsight, I wish DQS would have told Alaf to ride behind. If there was actually a chase on, Pog would have had to work to stay ahead of them, and Masnada might have had a chance behind a tired Tadej. Instead with the chase broken up, Pog only had to do just enough to keep them at arm’s length, and had plenty in the tank to cover the inevitabke attack/cruise the sprint.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I don't believe there was anything QS could have done to win this race. Remco was at the race he nearly died, Almeida cooked from podium the last week (plus possibly emotional since his last race for the team), Alaf had been ill.

Masnada is usually meh, but this week he wasn't and the team probably could have bet as much on him as the others. And I would probably give him a bit more chances now that Almeida is gone. He's probably their best climber right now so I wouldn't rule him out of top ten at the giro. Yes he wouldn't win but neither would I expect Remco to do so at this point.

But the next year is far ahead, while the withdrawal symptoms is real :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

TRENDING THREADS