• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2022, one day monument, October 8, farewell to Nibali and Valverde

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tbh, this has been Mas the whole season minus Tour de France. Unfortunately he crashed out of all the big one week races, but showed he was stronger than ever in those. That not only resulted in Mas being scared to descend and a horrible TdF, but also Movistar getting in a huge risk of demotion. Mas is the strongest rider in the field just below Roglic, Evenepoel, Vingegaard and Pogacar.

Tbh, this has been Mas the whole season minus Tour de France. Unfortunately he crashed out of all the big one week races, but showed he was stronger than ever in those. That not only resulted in Mas being scared to descend and a horrible TdF, but also Movistar getting in a huge risk of demotion. Mas is the strongest rider in the field just below Roglic, Evenepoel, Vingegaard and Pogacar.
Agreed. But difficult to assess wrt Hindley.

One final sprint led out from 400m.
Nah, this time he started with less than 300m to go.
Bora probably overestimated their leaders a bit, Fabbro's tempo was to high for for them.
Next Como finish please bri g back the Muro (with optional training wheels for all Belgian riders) otherwise it feels a bit like a classica mutilata

Serious, if the colma descent is too dangerous we might as well declare 80% of all Italian descents (that we've seen in races) too dangerous.
I'm all for putting up extra signs before a dangerous corner, but it's not a descent that we shouldn't use because it's too dangerous.

Goodby Vincenzo and Bala!

There was no clear path to 1st for Mas, but I think he nearly played his cards optimally. If he wouldn't be able to drop Pogi uphill (looking back, I don't think he could do that no matter how he tried), his only viable option left would be to force Pogi to go too long in the final sprint. For that, he needed Landa to be gapped, but close enough to come back in the final km. A bit like in Ronde.

He should have stopped pulling a little bit earlier to keep Landa closer, and then in the final km he should have done like Vino in London and blocked Pogi's vision to Landa.

The Valverde card was over with almost instantly, as the gap on Civiglio grew too quickly.
Still think he attacked too late on San Fermo. But he wasn't strong enough anyway.

Nah, this time he started with less than 300m to go.
Bora probably overestimated their leaders a bit, Fabbro's tempo was to high for for them.
Next Como finish please bri g back the Muro (with optional training wheels for all Belgian riders) otherwise it feels a bit like a classica mutilata

Serious, if the colma descent is too dangerous we might as well declare 80% of all Italian descents (that we've seen in races) too dangerous.
I'm all for putting up extra signs before a dangerous corner, but it's not a descent that we shouldn't use because it's too dangerous.

Goodby Vincenzo and Bala!
Yeah, with this approach, we went from no significant action to the podium settled in ~2 minutes (with a predictable order).

Agreed. But difficult to assess wrt Hindley.
I don't rate Hindley at all compared to Mas, honestly. Hindley has ridden one race at a high level, Mas has ridden the whole year at a high level and has shown to be able to follow Remco and Pogacar in the most important races. Carapaz? I'd definitely take Mas over him next year, and honestly, that might be the same case with Roglic.

Mostly agree, but we should not yet give up on bernal, who might not quite be vinge/pog but belongs in the ballpark

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS