• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2023

Who will win and why?

• Tadej Pogačar

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • Remco Evenepoel

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Someone else

Votes: 40 31.0%

• Total voters
This could be one of the better editions of Il Lombardia.

TADEJ POGAČAR: heavily motivated, two time winner of this race and wants to end the season on a high note.
REMCO EVENEPOEL: who wants to show he didn't win LBL just because Pogacar crashed out and will be even more motivated after this Vuelta disappointment.
PRIMOŽ ROGLIČ: surely this race would make a very nice addition to his palmares, he shouldn't be too burned out because of the light season calendar (compared to previous years).
JONAS VINGEGAARD: he wasn't close in recent years, but I am sure he will want to show to himself and others he can win big one day races.

and of course SEPP KUSS as GT winner, who will be just warmed up for Il Lombardia after doing three GTs in a season.

This is why imo Lombardia is the lesser monument nowadays and by far.

If being so dislocated from the rest of them would be enough per se, how can someone generate anticipation and interest for their race if less than a month before the race the exact route isn't known.

I've found a unknown website selling VIP tickets for 2023 Lombardia finish in Como, so I guess it ends there again this year.

If it's the same route as last year: Pogacar will be nearly impossible to drop, it's unlikely anyone who can outsprint Pogacar can climb with him, and it's a bad route for tactical racing... QED? Fully expect him to be the record winner of this one by the time he retires.
Pogacar may be worse than last year because he didn't exactly exit the World Champs very fresh.

Also, physics determines we never get a proper battle between Roglic and Pogacar again, and it may hit Pog this time around.

Pogacar may be worse than last year because he didn't exactly exit the World Champs very fresh.

Also, physics determines we never get a proper battle between Roglic and Pogacar again, and it may hit Pog this time around.
He looked tired pretty much every race between the Tour and Lombardia in 2021 and proceeded to win easily. He'll scrape together decent-at-worst form once again, and a decent Pogacar is very much good enough to win the majority of the time in Lombardia.

He looked tired pretty much every race between the Tour and Lombardia in 2021 and proceeded to win easily. He'll scrape together decent-at-worst form once again, and a decent Pogacar is very much good enough to win the majority of the time in Lombardia.
For me it depends on why Rog shits the bed at Lombardia. I hope he does it and doesn't overrace before it this season.

Reactions: Carols
We could get a 2019 scenario on Civiglio.
Think that's a much less likely scenario without Sormano coming before it. No Sormano makes the Como finish really easy to control for UAE.
For me it depends on why Rog shits the bed at Lombardia. I hope he does it and doesn't overrace before it this season.
Race length. His trackrecord at monument-length races is way too extensive to excuse the amount of times he's underwhelmed in them. Would be a far bigger talking point had Alaphilippe not gifted him a win he would never have gotten otherwise in the only long one-day race he's ever finished in the front group in.