• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Bardet is due for a win, he hasn't won all year, as far as I remember.

Wondering it the route is too tough for Matthews? - He was in stellar form in Canada.
Matthews will probably struggle against pure climbers on the Civiglio, he’s probably there to position Oomen on the rolling hills before the real action. Still worth taking in case something crazy happens or they race like wimps.

Woods is a real dark horse. If he can come third without support at worlds, he’s capable of winning here with an actual team.
Unfortunately he rides for EF Drapac, sooooo...

My list of ratings:
***** Pinot- seems to have the best form, Valverde.
**** Nibali and Woods/Uran who form the strongest duo
*** Moscon, Gaudu, Bardet, Kreuziger, Oomen, Mollema, Costa
**Bernal, Haig, Majka, LLS, Benoot, Wellens, Roglic/Bennet, Mohoric/Izagirre's.

Well Valverde is definitely back to doing his best to downplaying his chances. His comments now are basically: Let's see how I can do as I haven't disconnected yet from all the celebrating. However, I also appreciate the comment because it means he did take time to celebrate and enjoy what he just accomplished.

Re:

Koronin said:
Well Valverde is definitely back to doing his best to downplaying his chances. His comments now are basically: Let's see how I can do as I haven't disconnected yet from all the celebrating. However, I also appreciate the comment because it means he did take time to celebrate and enjoy what he just accomplished.

If he is feeling good and really want to gamble on Lombardia, he should lose Milano-Torino on purpose in order to make himself a less marked man. But I don't think that is how modern cycling works. :lol:

Velolover2 said:
Koronin said:

If he is feeling good and really want to gamble on Lombardia, he should lose Milano-Torino on purpose in order to make himself a less marked man. But I don't think that is how modern cycling works. :lol:

That isn't possible for him. If he shows up he's marked. Now he has the rainbow jersey so he can't exactly hide in the peloton very easily. Also you're forgetting his mentality. If he's there he races to win even if his head is still in the clouds. He doesn't know how to race any other way.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Bardet is due for a win, he hasn't won all year, as far as I remember.

Wondering it the route is too tough for Matthews? - He was in stellar form in Canada.
I think you need to watch the profile again. We are talking Muro di Sormano and the Civiglio pass. ;)

It's too tough for better climbers like Kwiatkowski and Ulissi as well.

But yeah, Bardet is my candidate too.

Velolover2 said:
Koronin said:

I think he'll ride conservative race today, following moves, and only to go all out in last km if he's in contention for the win. Saturday will be a different story though, he really wants that one...

Blanco said:
Velolover2 said:
Koronin said:

I think he'll ride conservative race today, following moves, and only to go all out in last km if he's in contention for the win. Saturday will be a different story though, he really wants that one...

Today is an easy race, tactics-wise. Everybody knows it comes down to the final Superga climb. That could be a nice training for him, and I think he will go all out for the win because it's a race that only requires a real supra-maximal effort the final 10 minutes.

And now that there is two days in-between Milano-Torino and Lombardia instead of one like last year, it's unlikely to have the same negative influence on the Lombardia performance to be going for the win in Milano-Torino.

Sounds like GdL wasn’t in his plans originally.

“Despite a show of form on the climb to Superga, Lopez will not ride Saturday's Il Lombardia, sticking to his plans to end his season with Milano-Torino.

"This podium ends my season, it's been a great season," he said without regret.

"I'm not riding Lombardia because while I trained for the World Championships, I didn’t train for the Classic and didn’t train for the long distances. I have good legs and was happy to ride Milano-Torino, but Lombardia is something else."”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gaudu-laughs-off-late-crash-at-milano-torino-to-celebrate-pinots-victory/

Re:

Leinster said:
Sounds like GdL wasn’t in his plans originally.

“Despite a show of form on the climb to Superga, Lopez will not ride Saturday's Il Lombardia, sticking to his plans to end his season with Milano-Torino.

"This podium ends my season, it's been a great season," he said without regret.

"I'm not riding Lombardia because while I trained for the World Championships, I didn’t train for the Classic and didn’t train for the long distances. I have good legs and was happy to ride Milano-Torino, but Lombardia is something else."”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gaudu-laughs-off-late-crash-at-milano-torino-to-celebrate-pinots-victory/
[x] trained for the Worlds
[ ] trained for the classics

I can't remember the last time I heard a dumber quote

TRENDING THREADS