• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Ilan Van Wilder - Pale Rider

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I could see Lotto, due to VDW's promotion and their focus on youth since recently.
I could see him take Almeida's place at DQT.
I could see him go to TJV with them losing Finn Fisher Black, with Kruijswijk running on fumes, Dumo getting out of the GC race etc.
Bora? With Hindley joining Kelderman, Buchmann, Schachmann and Uijtdebroeks also coming, maybe it's getting crowded there?

Will be interesting.
Bike Exchange? They still haven't filled the gap left by Haig and Chaves, and have proven they can develop riders.

It's funny that Marco Brenner is liking his instagram post. :D

"Enjoyed my last race of the season… 13 weeks of lonely training with only 3 race days but in the end I was there, in a good shape and I delivered. All thanks to myself. I’m proud of myself and no one can break me. Time for a new chapter now .See you soon ."

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's funny that Marco Brenner is liking his instagram post. :D

"Enjoyed my last race of the season… 13 weeks of lonely training with only 3 race days but in the end I was there, in a good shape and I delivered. All thanks to myself. I’m proud of myself and no one can break me. Time for a new chapter now .See you soon ."
Don't be fooled, Van Wilder has the support of many of the riders on the team. Spekenbrink and Kemna however still think they can persuade him to stay. Their heads are too far up their own asses to understand what has happened and that there is no way in hell he will ride for DSM next year.

What happens if DSM doesn't allow him to rescind the contract and find a new team?
He leaves the team, yells something like "FVCK YOU FVCKTARDS AND SMELL YA LATER!" signs a contract at one of the teams that have already offered him a contract and would buy his contract out at DSM. In fact, that might be what DSM is hoping for at this moment, getting paid, because they know he's not staying and they know other teams are lined up.

What happens if DSM doesn't allow him to rescind the contract and find a new team?
I think DSM can't prevent him from changing his employer if he's determined to do so.

The most they can get out of this is to go to court and get financial compensation from Van Wilder for not fulfilling the contract (which would probably end up being paid by his new team). That is, if they don't settle this out of court, which I think they'll likely do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a lawyer. :p

I think there would be an issue registering his license with a new team if the current holder of his license opposed it.
Cycling is not outside the law. You can terminate your contract unilaterally if you buy it out. I believe that buy-out is equal to the wages still under contract. Let's say he earns €5.000 per month (i have actually no idea) and there are still 12 months under contract, then that would mean he could buy out his contract at €60.000. There is actually a cap (as in it can 't be higher than a certain number), but i don't know what that cap is.

Unless he can prove his employer made grave errors. Remember how Van Aert left Nuyens when he signed for Jumbo Visma. I actually think Van Wilder has a lot more reason than Van Aert did to terminate his contact under those pretenses. They sent him to the Vuelta well knowing he was injured. They made certain oral promises which they did not keep, and which every teammate can attest to. They set precedent by letting other riders leave the team freely, but not Van Wilder...

There is also the "Hirschi" option. Letting him go if he keeps his mouth about what happened. Frankly, i hope he doesn't agree to that, but DSM can do without bad publicity from a young talent flipping them the bird due to malpractice. It might be the easiest solution, but not the best.

In any case, Van Wilder has raced his last race for DSM. That ship has sailed.

Cycling is not outside the law. You can terminate your contract unilaterally if you buy it out. I believe that buy-out is equal to the wages still under contract. Let's say he earns €5.000 per month (i have actually no idea) and there are still 12 months under contract, then that would mean he could buy out his contract at €60.000. There is actually a cap (as in it can 't be higher than a certain number), but i don't know what that cap is.

Unless he can prove his employer made grave errors. Remember how Van Aert left Nuyens when he signed for Jumbo Visma. I actually think Van Wilder has a lot more reason than Van Aert did to terminate his contact under those pretenses. They sent him to the Vuelta well knowing he was injured. They made certain oral promises which they did not keep, and which every teammate can attest to. They set precedent by letting other riders leave the team freely, but not Van Wilder...

There is also the "Hirschi" option. Letting him go if he keeps his mouth about what happened. Frankly, i hope he doesn't agree to that, but DSM can do without bad publicity from a young talent flipping them the bird due to malpractice. It might be the easiest solution, but not the best.

In any case, Van Wilder has raced his last race for DSM. That ship has sailed.

Yeah well, van Aert had been convicted by the Belgium Court to pay Nuyens 662.000 euro's Because of terminating his contract. I think in van Aerts case that is indeed the equivalent of what he would have been paid for the remainder of his contract, but there are certainly reasons why a judge could decide the amount should be higher.

In van Wilders case i could see DSM making a bit of a fuss about van Wilders very negative (social) media statements while still under contract and receiving payment from DSM as his employer.

I think that if DSM really wants to play it hard, it might be much harder for van Wilder to find a new team than you are sketching here. Van Wilder definitely does not hold all the cards under a Sports contract.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Yeah well, van Aert had been convicted by the Belgium Court to pay Nuyens 662.000 euro's Because of terminating his contract. I think in van Aerts case that is indeed the equivalent of what he would have been paid for the remainder of his contract, but there are certainly reasons why a judge could decide the amount should be higher.

In van Wilders case i could see DSM making a bit of a fuss about van Wilders very negative (social) media statements while still under contract and receiving payment from DSM as his employer.

I think that if DSM really wants to play it hard, it might be much harder for van Wilder to find a new team than you are sketching here. Van Wilder definitely does not hold all the cards under a Sports contract.
He has only made two social media statements, both were AFTER the Kemna articles.

He already HAS teams willing to pay off DSM's contract.

The point was that Nuyens objecting to Van Aert signing for TJV didn't stop it from happening. As was assumed in the post i replied to.

Last edited:
How is this guy doing?

I saw a comment from Lotto's Lelangue that they keep a spot open for "opportunities" like him, but he didn't seem to think it was realistic, because his situation is unchanged (stuck with DSM) and obviously cause even if he gets out of his contract there's probably more attractive teams for him.

• Wow
How is this guy doing?

I saw a comment from Lotto's Lelangue that they keep a spot open for "opportunities" like him, but he didn't seem to think it was realistic, because his situation is unchanged (stuck with DSM) and obviously cause even if he gets out of his contract there's probably more attractive teams for him.
I could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.

The thing is, Ilan knows very well what he wants, and like i already said a few weeks ago (maybe in the DSM topic), at this moment there doesn't seem to be a chance in hell that he is staying at DSM. There have been numerous teams in contact that want him to join, but he's narrowed it down to a few teams. He needs to feel "at home" and appreciated. The DSM situation is still not resolved and while it seemed to be going in the right direction, last i heard it is again going in the wrong direction. My personal interpretation is that DSM wants money, now that they have come to realize they sh!t the bed and there is no way he's staying. They don't seem to care about the rider, they don't seem to care about their own philosophy or the promises they made in the past. I've heard the lawyers involved think Spekenbrink lives in a different reality.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see which team van Wilder will join. Ilan van Wilder and Ben Tulett, as I said before, both rode such an impressive 2021. Tulett will join Ineos now.

In my opinion, van Wilder will also join Ineos. He is so good, he has to ride for one of the top teams, which are Ineos, JV, Bahrain, UAE and Deceuninck.

So to be clear, it's not allowed to post pictures of sexy cyclists, but it is allowed to have this tasteless thread title?

For those who don't know, some context. Ruinerwold refers to a case in the Netherlands. In a remote farm a father hold his children captive for several years. One of the children escaped and went to a cafe, there they called the police. The father was physically unable to be judged by court.

Last edited:
So to be clear, it's not allowed to post pictures of sexy cyclists, but it is allowed to have this tasteless thread title?

For those who don't know, some context. Ruinerwold refers to a case in the Netherlands. In a remote farm a father hold his children captive for several years. One of the children escaped and went to a cafe, there they called the police. The father was physically unable to be judged by court.
Upon changing the thread title, i contacted one of the moderators to address that. I gave some alternative titles in case they felt the need to change it. It isn't at all intended to laugh with the victims of Ruinerwold any more than when somebody calls someone a dictator (i think some team managers have been called that) intends to laugh with the millions of victims made by dictators around the world throughout history.

TRENDING THREADS