• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Import Duty when buying online

Hi all,
I am looking at bringing in some parts from the UK, and the cost is going to be approx $1050. Apparently the limit before duty is applicable is $1000 - how likely is it that I will have to pay, and if so, does anyone know the duty rate & fees etc?
Thanks.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Hi all,
I am looking at bringing in some parts from the UK, and the cost is going to be approx $1050. Apparently the limit before duty is applicable is $1000 - how likely is it that I will have to pay, and if so, does anyone know the duty rate & fees etc?
Thanks.

It depends on what you are buying.

Frames - no duty
Groupos- no duty
Clothes-No duty
Complete bikes-No duty
Wheels-Expect to pay. It is about a 50% your stuff will be held up and you will have to pay.

the $1000 rule is only for stuff you carry with you on the plane.

Race Radio said:
It depends on what you are buying.

Frames - no duty
Groupos- no duty
Clothes-No duty
Complete bikes-No duty
Wheels-Expect to pay. It is about a 50% your stuff will be held up and you will have to pay.

the $1000 rule is only for stuff you carry with you on the plane.

Thanks for the response - Groupset..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nick, sounds like your from Australia.
You are right that the limit for import is $1000 dollars in one package.
If it goes over that (for items only, no shipping) then technically you can be charged duty + GST.
I forget the exact duty, but I think it is something like 5% (on all bicycle parts). Customs will apply the 5% to the item cost and then charge you GST on the whole amount (items + duty + shipping)
I've heard various different stories of people getting bigger amounts through customs but I know I've been caught on packages just over $1000.
If your not from Australia, sorry cant help. ;)

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
A quick rule of thumb for Aussie importers is multiply the cost of the item by 1.15 (5% duty and 10% GST).

One problem is customs can calculate the cost of the import at the time it arrives in the country, not when you buy it... If the dollar slumps, you could have a nasty surprise :-(

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Hi all,
Thanks.

Hi there. If you are Australian then there's a 5% import tariff on assembled bicycles, frames and forks. All other parts are tariff free.

You will pay GST of 10% if the landed cost (including shipping) exceeds $1,000. So the trick is to keep it below here if possible.

Note also that imports from the US are duty free thanks to the Free Trade Agreement. I know you are buying from the UK but I thought I'd let people know anyway.

Regards.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Duty and GST is payable on all goods purchased of value over AUD 1000.00 (or thereabouts - wont go into it now)
Duty is not payable, only if the goods are duty free due to a free trade agreement with the overseas country (US, Thailand, NZ etc) or if there is a tariff concession, or if the goods are under an FOB value of AUD 1000.00
Not sure whether you're importing will be duty free unless there's a tariff concession available.

Make sure you stipulate to the supplier that the shipment terms must be DDU (essentially means door to door duty unpaid) If they are shipping to you on CFR/CPT or CIF shipment terms or they say "yes we've paid the freight to Sydney/Melbourne etc" be suspicious because this may leave you paying import terminal fees etc.

Your total Duty, GST and Customs Entry Fee will probably come to about AUD 350.00 - depending on whether you're shipping Seafreight, Airfreight and how the Customs Broker calculates it.

The most important thing is making sure the shipment is "door to door" or "DDU"- otherwise you could be up for something like:

AUD 310.00-380.00 + GST for import terminal fees and Customs Clearance
PLUS
AUD 350.00 for Duty/GST/Customs Entry Fee

Also, the "$1000 rule" isn't only what you bring in on a plane. Your cargo will be duty, GST and Customs Entry free if it's under an FOB value of AUD 1000.00 - whether you've brought it in your luggage or bought off EBAY etc.

Hope this helps.