• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

In the future...

...the rest of the peloton should tell the likes of Cancellara where to get off when they decide to shut a stage down like he did earlier in the Tour. No rider is bigger than the game and no one is entitled to anoint himself the King of the Peloton.:D

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
People seem to forget about stage 2.

Everyone thinks the chain incident was the defining point.

If they didn't slow down, Schleck would have been a couple minutes from the lead and the chain wouldn't have been an issue.

So it all evens out.

Similarly, Hushovd would have the green jersey if it weren't for that stage. He would be 20 points ahead of Petacchi. But no, people think the chain marred the tour but in fact, it was stage two.

Sasquatch said:
People seem to forget about stage 2.

Everyone thinks the chain incident was the defining point.

If they didn't slow down, Schleck would have been a couple minutes from the lead and the chain wouldn't have been an issue.

So it all evens out.

Similarly, Hushovd would have the green jersey if it weren't for that stage. He would be 20 points ahead of Petacchi. But no, people think the chain marred the tour but in fact, it was stage two.
X2
My real point was that no one rider should be allowed to bully riders like Cancellara has this time and in the past. It was a cynical move and happened because one of his riders was in trouble.
Armstrong used to dictate what happened in the peloton and this should have finished with his retirement.:D

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
sienna said:
...the rest of the peloton should tell the likes of Cancellara where to get off when they decide to shut a stage down like he did earlier in the Tour. No rider is bigger than the game and no one is entitled to anoint himself the King of the Peloton.:D
berto claims to have neutralized the stage.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
sienna said:
I'm speaking generally – not necessarily talking about individuals. No rider should be allowed to neutralaise a stage.
The only time it should happen was like in '95.:D

yeah that was dumb (on the part of the peloton), especially when you consider cancellara's motives.

erader

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
sienna said:
I'm speaking generally – not necessarily talking about individuals. No rider should be allowed to neutralaise a stage.
The only time it should happen was like in '95.:D

Ironic that in 95 one person was vocal against the neutralization of the stage following Casartelli's death. His name was Riis.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
fixedgear said:
Actually, I think he asked the peloton to slow down whereas Fabian campaigned for neutralizing the stage.

I don't think I could understand a word contador says anyhow, so you're prolly right.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
erader said:
yeah that was dumb (on the part of the peloton), especially when you consider cancellara's motives.

erader

The only team that were really whining about it were Cervelo. At the end of the day Thor could have gone if he wanted, just that most of the other guys would have considered him a tosser for doing so. Alberto actually said that he told his team "not to race". A true champion doesn't want to win races by virtue of the fact that a third of the peloton crashes only a couple of days into the race.

To say that FC "bullied" the peloton into not racing is just laughable, most agreed with his suggestion.

I think its just that the "he has a motor" boys are now having to eat dirt after todays TT and so are looking to whine about something else.

TRENDING THREADS