• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

In through the Nose out through the Mouth?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
We usually see in fitness articles, etc that when performing aerobic activity you should breathe deeply, in through the nose and out through the mouth. There are numerous reasons given for this but I honestly doubt the logic behind most of them and would be keen to hear if anyone can provide explanations.

In my own case - probably specific to my physiology - if I were to try riding even at gentle pace whilst breathing in that manner I would become hypoxic in only a minute or two and be forced to switch back to breathing via mouth only. There is absolutely no way I can get close to normal performance inhaling via the nose.

Breathing via mouth only I can refresh (CO2,etc out and O2 in) a large % of my lung capacity in every breath. Lab measurement has shown that using my nose I can only move about 1/4 of the gas volume in the same number of cycles. So how would breathing in via the nose be beneficial to me?

I have heard so called experts talking about this breathing cycle as though the nose and mouth are two completely separate pathways to the lungs - almost like an in vs out valve. Like a car's throttle and exhaust. I call bunkum unless someone can prove otherwise!

Also, if nose breathing is so important, then why is it that labs that perform aerobic testing of athletes usually place a house in the athlete's mouth and then close off their nose completely?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
In most cases in cold weather you dont breath through the nose at all its full of junk so look out the guy who is sitting on.

So whoever told you to breath through the nose while riding hard is talking out of his **** and has never tried it.

It would be good if we could because it warms the air intake But unfortunatly we need to grab every breath as quickly as we can.

After a hard ride then revert back to whatever you done before and we all know the nose strips dont work either its all in the mind.

They may help you get a bit more oxygen into the blood before starting a short TT.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
In most cases in cold weather you dont breath through the nose at all its full of junk so look out the guy who is sitting on.

So whoever told you to breath through the nose while riding hard is talking out of his **** and has never tried it.

It would be good if we could because it warms the air intake But unfortunatly we need to grab every breath as quickly as we can.

After a hard ride then revert back to whatever you done before and we all know the nose strips dont work either its all in the mind.

They may help you get a bit more oxygen into the blood before starting a short TT.

when riding hard it's virtually impossible, but when doing a long training ride at low intensity or a recovery ride I often breathe through the nose without any problem:)

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I've heard that it rapidly forces air deep into the lungs. I could be completely wrong but i thought i heard(a long time ago) Wayne Stetina was a proponent of this.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
breathing in threw the nose is good for low intensity sessions. it helps to control the breathing. breathing out through your mouth also helps with expelling oxygen from your lungs, giving you more room for a fresh batch!