• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Inclines (Hills!!!)

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
UK Ord Servey maps show steep hills in a ratio of 1:5 or 1:7. All well and good, either steep or damn steep!
However, I frequently see references in the cycling articles of hills show as a %.
Being new to the sport I am confused as to how the % measurement stands up against the ratio.

Help, is a 10% hill steeper than a 1:7 etc!!!!!!!

leshoops said:
uk ord servey maps show steep hills in a ratio of 1:5 or 1:7. All well and good, either steep or damn steep!
However, i frequently see references in the cycling articles of hills show as a %.
Being new to the sport i am confused as to how the % measurement stands up against the ratio.

Help, is a 10% hill steeper than a 1:7 etc!!!!!!!

1/10=10%
1/7=14.3%
1/5=20%

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Incline percentage is measured as percent of grade, ie the percentage that one moves vertically as one moves laterally. If you move one metre laterally and rise one metre vertically, a 45 degree angle, you have climbed 100% of grade.
As others have written, 20% grade is climbing 1/5 of the lateral progression, also described as a 1:5 ratio. Pretty darn steep for cycling!

TRENDING THREADS