• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Indurain Comments regarding Contador

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You can read the article here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/indurain-contador-too-eager-so-far-in-vuelta

What a bunch of garbage! I would much rather have Contador be "eager" and attack more often than to follow the wheels waiting for that one opportunity...what happens if they can follow on that one chance? We don't need another Tour de France here. All this following wheels is BORING racing. If the legs feel good, then go!
Thoughts?

Rockets160 said:
What a bunch of garbage! I would much rather have Contador be "eager" and attack more often than to follow the wheels waiting for that one opportunity...what happens if they can follow on that one chance? We don't need another Tour de France here. All this following wheels is BORING racing. If the legs feel good, then go!
Thoughts?

He is a columnist who writes for Marca and since he himself always rode with brain calculating every move what do expect from him? It is his opion about how he views cycling and nothing to be this angry for. In a way he has right. A cooler Contador would have made one move and getting along with it. This week he has been all over the place which is of course very funny looking at. (depending on lack of form, miles...)

Gregory said:
Indurain was an extremely boring rider to watch himself...

I wouldnt exactly call Luxembourg -92 for "boring".

You can't improve your race fitness if you don't push yourself and attack. Sitting on the wheels of other people won't make you any better if you have more potential.

I think Contador knows what he is doing Indurain.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Indurain does make some good points, it was exciting to see Contador attacking 6 or so times on arrate but did any of those attacks end up going anywhere? While lots of attacking from Contador would make the race more exciting the attacks do take more energy, energy that he may need for a later stage. And Indurain is right that attacking less often but putting more effort into those attacks is better then a bunch of small attacks that don't end up going anywhere.

I don't think this Vuelta can be at all like the tour or turn into another tour though. We have already had more than once a GC battle on the climbs that the tour didn't have this year.

zigmeister said:
You can't improve your race fitness if you don't push yourself and attack. Sitting on the wheels of other people won't make you any better if you have more potential.

I think Contador knows what he is doing Indurain.

I agree. He is continually testing himself, his form and the form of the other riders. No pain, no gain...those 7 attacks on Arrate were tests of his legs and the opposition.

He was trying to win the stage the next time he attacked in Andorra, ran out of gas...but built his stamina. The Montjuic attack was a just plain mistake though....

Afrank said:
Indurain does make some good points, it was exciting to see Contador attacking 6 or so times on arrate but did any of those attacks end up going anywhere? While lots of attacking from Contador would make the race more exciting the attacks do take more energy, energy that he may need for a later stage. And Indurain is right that attacking less often but putting more effort into those attacks is better then a bunch of small attacks that don't end up going anywhere.

I don't think this Vuelta can be at all like the tour or turn into another tour though. We have already had more than once a GC battle on the climbs that the tour didn't have this year.

I think it was all he could. He just wasn't strong enough to attack hard enough to drop everyone. Indurain is stupid for not noticing that :rolleyes:

Rockets160 said:
You can read the article here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/indurain-contador-too-eager-so-far-in-vuelta

Thoughts?

i agree........go as long as he's feeling good. But I can see waiting for that one moment in this race because it is so close a dogfight that just one moment is all that could be needed for Contador. Still, there's that word "could". By sitting around waiting, that one moment may never present itself. Better to go when he can.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I read the whole story as, he's spot on, Contador is eager to win it now, how is that a bad thing? Indurain is just playing the ex-pro spot when asked a question and has to come up with something, I don't see him as the mantra of racing reporting and prognostication.

If Contador's attacks were/are a futile attempt then why are the other GC riders chasing him down :?

Because they don't want to lose and those attacks will waste them if they hesitate on them, that's why.

LaFlorecita said:
Yes of course we all want to see it but he JUST COULDN'T DO IT!!!!

Don't get all riled up. Indurain is correct, here and in this case. Alberto wants to demonstrate something he had, but has to rediscover. It's noremal that an athlete on the rebound, after a doping afair, wants to proove his metal.

In fact it would be wise of Alberto to measure his attacks, against the probable gains they merit. But this takes a cool, calibrating rider, in a momment of tranquilty, which the Spaniard has not the former, being as instinctual as he is, nor the later, since this is far form a tranquil moment.

rhubroma said:
Don't get all riled up. Indurain is correct, here and in this case. Alberto wants to demonstrate something he had, but has to rediscover. It's noremal that an athlete on the rebound, after a doping afair, wants to proove his metal.

In fact it would be wise of Alberto to measure his attacks, against the probable gains they merit. But this takes a cool, calibrating rider, in a momment of tranquilty, which the Spaniard has not the former, being as instinctual as he is, nor the later, since this is far form a tranquil moment.

No he's not correct. It's not a bad thing he's "eager". He wants to attack and he wants to win the race. If he can't drop the others he keeps trying. I don't see why that's a problem. I'm sorry mr Indurain but not everyone wants to be as boring as you

Indurain really never says it is a bad thing to be eager BUT it can be if it makes you doing clumsy and unthoughtful things (he clearly is referring to Barcelona here). He dont say that AC shouldnt attack but doing the right moves while attacking. That is unless he can which he points out in the later parts of the article:

Indurain recognised, however, that in the second half of the Vuelta, Contador’s six-month lay-off may yet prove to be an advantage. “It’s possible that after the break, he’s getting better every day. In addition, physically and mentally, he is fresher than his rivals.”

What he sees is a lot of wasted energy and thus wasted opportunities that could perhaps come back and haunt the rider in the end. Not that AC shouldnt attack or being more calculating as a rider.

LaFlorecita said:
I'm sorry mr Indurain but not everyone wants to be as boring as you

Yeah, everyone belives you were around when Mig raced. :rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Rockets160 said:

Thoughts?

Induran was a wheelsucker and mastered the game of defensive winning. First shock he had was when Pantani came along

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Induran was a wheelsucker and mastered the game of defensive winning. First shock he had was when Pantani came along

Oh yeah Indurain was a real wheel sucker and scared of Pantani, did you watch his performance at La Plagne in 1995 when he attcked everyone and left Pantani gasping? I hate all this crap about Indurain only winning in the time trials, when he wanted to he could destroy anyone in the mountains too. Indurain just wasen't greedy for wins though, he did what he needed to do and let the others have their glory.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
No complaints about Indurain as far as I'm concerned. In retrospect, the more I see Wiggins, the more I can see in him a lesser Induráin replica, who's come out of the blue and has become a Tour winner all of a sudden after drastically reducing his weight. There weren't swimming coaches before, though.

And Induráin's supremacy was a bit boring to say the least. I just love Alberto's attacking spirit. The guy just can't hold himself back !! Pure class.

TRENDING THREADS