• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Inequality on elegability criteria for Olympic Road Race

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Buuuut... they were a couple of more guys! Just look at this bit from an interview with Millar:

"Let's say we've got 8 in that five," Millar said enthusiastically. "Wiggins and Froome just finished first and second in the Tour de France so they're worth four guys. We've got Cav who is worth two guys in the sprint and then we've got Stannard, who when on a great day, is worth a few more. We'll be alright.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
And no pure African countries represented... (South Africa the odd one out as I hope I don't need to explain that).

I'm not sure what your point is (sorry).

From the start list there were no riders from South Africa but one from Namibia (#162 Dan Cravens). I'm surprised there were no riders from South Africa.

ElChingon said:
And no pure African countries represented... (South Africa the odd one out as I hope I don't need to explain that).

40 Daryl Impey (South Africa)
62 Adil Jelloul (Morocco)
72 Daniel Teklehaimanot (Eritrea)
127 Soufiane Haddi (Morocco)
DNF Azzedine Lagab (Algeria)
DNF Dan Craven (Namibia)
DNF Mouhcine Lahsaini (Morocco)

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I love this forum seriously debating something as if it had any serious chance of happening.

The current system results in A) most of the top pros being there and B) an interesting race.

Leave it alone.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
tammy25636 said:
''We could have done with a couple more guys'' thus spoke David Millar with the British teams inability and frustration in not bringing the breakaway back. Cavendish had 4 domestiques while NZ rider Greg Henderson had 1. The formulae used to determine each countries number of elegible riders is really quite bizaar. As i understand it the countries number of world ranking points determines this. I have also read somewhere that some countries do not have enough experienced riders to ensure this inexperience doesn't lead to accidents in the bunch...absolute rubbish..any such riders would soon be left behind. There are a number of other factors which present questions. It may well be that a country has 2-3 extremely highly ranked riders but absolutely no depth below that. Does that mean that they will qualify with 2 extra domestique riders who have all the inexperience they're so concerned about. Road cycling is a team sport, pure and simple and teams in every other sport take the field with equal numbers...and surely thats the Olympic spirit. To use this convoluted logic outside the confines of cycling, how about the next time the All Blacks take the field against the British Lions, the All Blacks have 15 players to the British Lions 6?...as reflected in World rankings....the whole things an absolute nonsense and countries like NZ should boycott the games until there's some form of level playing field...3 riders per country...period.

Technically olympic cycling isn't a team sport... not really. An "olympic" team sport results in a medal being awarded to the team. For example, a relay in swimming is a "team" award.

Individual sports result in a medal per individual... for example one person from the country could get first and another could get second.

Road cycling counts as an individual sport. None of the riders on the team have to try to help a team leader. I'm not sure how many other sports have the odd team/individual dynamic that cycling has. Had Cavendish won, it's not like Wiggins would have gotten a medal too. But he's expected to work for Cav, not for himself.

Are there any other events like that?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
As happens in most other sports: yes. Non-qualifiers don't qualify.

When you're getting down to nation #50 and #51 you're really looking at 4 guys chancing it as best they can though, rather than much of a team tactic.

The current system is good, though I think it does need a bit of tweaking. Two Moroccans and one Slovakian has me scratching me head a bit.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Really, the top nations are already the best. They don't need any MORE of an advantage by having more riders now, do they? I propose that the top nations should only get one get one rider while countries like Eritrea should get full 9-man teams. Then, everything will be nice and fair. :D

Fowsto Cope-E said:
Really, the top nations are already the best. They don't need any MORE of an advantage by having more riders now, do they? I propose that the top nations should only get one get one rider while countries like Eritrea should get full 9-man teams. Then, everything will be nice and fair. :D

Except for the... eh... difficulties in actually finding 9 man some of those countries might have. :p

TRENDING THREADS