• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I Love it!

I'm having a little trouble getting used to the keyboard but otherwise, yeah it's fantastic. For general everyday use, this makes a pc look like a tired old joke. It took 30 plus years but Jobs finally came out with a computer that anyone can use.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
It's perfect for me, take it to work (even watch cycling sneakily at work now) it's everything I used a commuter for and a hundred times quicker

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I've had a go on a couple.

I have absolutely no need for one, would only use a small fraction of it's capabilities but I want one!

You have to hand to those guys at Apple.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
$500 for an oversized phone/ipod... duck right off..

Stupid overpriced toy for people with more money than sense.. Its very clever, and its very pretty, but it is just a web browser/email writer/photoframe

its just a fashion accesory

good article here
http://io9.com/5458822/why-the-ipad-is-crap-futurism

actually, it's a device that suits 95% of the home consumers 'computing' requirements. don't love apple? - no problem. don't assume that all users are tech geeks though. the ipad is a second-to-none web/media device. wait for the second and third gen releases though - never be an early adopter with apple!

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
LugHugger said:
actually, it's a device that suits 95% of the home consumers 'computing' requirements. don't love apple? - no problem. don't assume that all users are tech geeks though. the ipad is a second-to-none web/media device. wait for the second and third gen releases though - never be an early adopter with apple!

haha..right.. People want a small screen, limited peripherals, limited usability (ie, Flash), and all in a package that's awkward at best (does it sit on your lap? Got to use two hands to hold it up because it's so heavy, so can't hold it up and do much with it, etc..)

CrApple has perfected the scam, well done. They'll sell you what you *think* you need, but it's really not. Bravo!

I'd take a netbook any day.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:

so what you are saying is that 95% of home users never access the 80% of the world's websites that use Flash?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
What 80%? I hate Flash. The world will be a better place when it is dead and gone.

agreed. it's an excuse for lazy and annoying page design. but, it's true that apple continues it's crusade against adobe at the cost of consumers on the ipad. like i said, wait for the second or third generation release.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
What 80%? I hate Flash. The world will be a better place when it is dead and gone.

Flash badly done is appaling, but there are some very good examples of well used flash.

As for the ipad.. I refuse to beleive that only 5% of people need their computer to do more than internet, email and photo/video viewing.

Netbook.. far more useful..

TeamSkyFans said:
Flash badly done is appaling, but there are some very good examples of well used flash.

My issue is usually the result of some poor suckers--err, business--that farmed out their website design to a company of tards who then made an "impressive" site with Flash even though it serves no purpose other than eye candy and said tards were too stupid or incompetent to make the site navigable without Flash. I have seen sites made by idiots that have all the deep content in normal HTML but the front Flash pages offer no way to get to that content with normal clicks.

TeamSkyFans said:
As for the ipad.. I refuse to beleive that only 5% of people need their computer to do more than internet, email and photo/video viewing.

There is a story about Bill Gates--who, BTW, never had a clue about the Internet or anything about computing past about 1990-- in a Microsoft meeting ranting in his typical "that is the stupidest fcuking thing I ever heard" manner about the inferiority of specialized devices compared to general purpose computing machines. Someone retorted that instead of owning a car and a house, he should own a motorhome.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Do netbooks have 13+ hours battery time?

TeamSkyFans said:

Netbook.. far more useful..

Maybe a better way to put it is 95% only need their computer for these uses 95% of the time.

marinoni said:
Maybe a better way to put it is 95% only need their computer for these uses 95% of the time.

I think Netbooks are now around 10h battery life. Could be wrong though. Can you type fluidly on iPads? Netbook keyboards aren't exactly the easiest either due to their size but you get used to them.

Personally I'd rather a smartphone with good media support and a netbook. You end up with a wider range of functionality.

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
$500 for an oversized phone/ipod... duck right off..

Stupid overpriced toy for people with more money than sense.. Its very clever, and its very pretty, but it is just a web browser/email writer/photoframe

its just a fashion accesory

good article here
http://io9.com/5458822/why-the-ipad-is-crap-futurism

You make it sound like Apple is rounding up people and forcing them to buy ipads at gunpoint. You don't like it? Don't buy it..... "Its very clever, and its very pretty," now THAT description fits fits about 90% of the carbon fiber trash the bike industry wants us to buy, but which practically NO ONE needs. Rant on that for a while if you want to instruct us all on how to spend our money.

A

Anonymous

brewerjeff said:
You make it sound like Apple is rounding up people and forcing them to buy ipads at gunpoint. You don't like it? Don't buy it..... "Its very clever, and its very pretty," now THAT description fits fits about 90% of the carbon fiber trash the bike industry wants us to buy, but which practically NO ONE needs. Rant on that for a while if you want to instruct us all on how to spend our money.

never instructed you not to have one, i said i wouldnt buy one and in my opinion the people who buy them are either people with more money than sense, people who must be seen with the latest gadget, etc.

I always have everything after everyone else anyway, the only thing i ever had straight off was a ps2 the night it was launched.. everything else im about 4 years behind :D

TRENDING THREADS