• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Anna Solovey Hanna Solovey ?

Anna Solovey of the Ukraine got the Silver in the women's ITT today. Is she the same as Hanna Solovey 31 01 1992 of the Ukraine who tested positive at 19 in her first senior event the Tour of Chongming Island and then had a two year ban ?

Freddythefrog said:
Anna Solovey of the Ukraine got the Silver in the women's ITT today. Is she the same as Hanna Solovey 31 01 1992 of the Ukraine who tested positive at 19 in her first senior event the Tour of Chongming Island and then had a two year ban ?

Yes. Anna Solovey, Ganna Solovey and Hanna Solovey are all the same person.

The culprit is the Cyrillic letter Г. In Russian it represents [g], in Ukrainian it represents [h], and as [h] is seldom present in French, when she registered in France it was lost in pronunciation yielding "Hanna" pronounced "Anna".

She came back after the ban and started destroying ITTs and raised a lot of eyebrows doing so, couldn't get a pro contract though so it seems like there was some concern among teams about her. This year her only UCI-rated results are a win in the Chrono Champénois and a silver today.

so this year she raced just once before the Worlds ITT and pretty much ended up crushing the entire field (bar one):

1 BRENNAUER Lisa GER 0:38:48,16 (45,615 km/h)
2 SOLOVEY Anna UKR + 18,68
3 STEVENS Evelyn USA + 21,25
4 KROEGER Mieke GER + 38,29
5 DUYCK Ann-Sofie BEL + 45,31
6 CANUEL Karol-Ann CAN + 51,26
7 VAN DIJK Ellen NED + 1:11,64
8 POWERS Alison USA + 1:14,17
9 VILLUMSEN Linda Melanie NZL + 1:14,28
10 WORRACK Trixi GER + 1:15,25

Preparing with less race days seems to be the gold standard now. That or just being injured or sick.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes. Anna Solovey, Ganna Solovey and Hanna Solovey are all the same person.

The culprit is the Cyrillic letter Г. In Russian it represents [g], in Ukrainian it represents [h], and as [h] is seldom present in French, when she registered in France it was lost in pronunciation yielding "Hanna" pronounced "Anna".

She came back after the ban and started destroying ITTs and raised a lot of eyebrows doing so, couldn't get a pro contract though so it seems like there was some concern among teams about her. This year her only UCI-rated results are a win in the Chrono Champénois and a silver today.
blacklisted perhaps.
or not, but in any case me thinks that if there was concern it was not about her doping but about her having been caught doing so and thus representing bad PR.

edit: excellent phonological analysis by the way ;)

sniper said:
blacklisted perhaps.
or not, but in any case me thinks that if there was concern it was not about her doping but about her having been caught doing so and thus representing bad PR.

edit: excellent phonological analysis by the way ;)

Could have been the fact that she came straight back from the ban to this on her first racing day back that made teams think she was not subtle enough.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ralphbert said:
That is a new trick from the dopers handbook. I'm ****ed if I'm going to start calling The garmin anti doping hero Avid Millar.

You mean Dafydd Millar, no longer that dirty doping Scot, but the clean Welsh Saintly hero:D

Dear Wiggo said:
Be interesting to get more info on her first doping offence - it puts a serious dent in the whole, "there's no money for doping in women's cycling" mantra.

I've posted this before, much of it is not expensive.

Interesting that she's got a French license.

There was a mention of Jeanson, who, if memory serves, could not (??) get a Canadian license and ended up with an American license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drostanolone_propionate

Drostanolone propionate is used primarily by athletes who need to retain strength while losing mass.

The fast way to boost W/Kg

Dear Wiggo said:
Be interesting to get more info on her first doping offence - it puts a serious dent in the whole, "there's no money for doping in women's cycling" mantra.

We established in the JTL thread that a vial of EPO costs in the region of 25-35 pounds (30-45 Euro) which is about a week's worth of dosing. (depends on weight)

200 Euro/month for the EPO, plus paraphernalia costs.

Its not expensive at all these days.

I spend far more than that on groceries each week.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Catwhoorg said:
We established in the JTL thread that a vial of EPO costs in the region of 25-35 pounds (30-45 Euro) which is about a week's worth of dosing. (depends on weight)

200 Euro/month for the EPO, plus paraphernalia costs.

Its not expensive at all these days.

I spend far more than that on groceries each week.

I think her first doping offence was back in 2003 (?) so the pricing then would be different at a guess.

Useful cost figures all the same.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I think her first doping offence was back in 2003 (?) so the pricing then would be different at a guess.

Useful cost figures all the same.

2003? Doping at 11 years old, That might be a record