• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is any team Clean?

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be cute here, but are there any stats that show if any team has been clean since it's inception? i.e. never had a doping charge.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Is any nation just?

Escarabajo said:
I believe that Amore & Vita is clean.:)

They have been around a long, long time.

I raced with a guy who was mentored by a former Amore Viita pro- nineties- his views on correct prepartion weren't 'clean'

Bonjour/Brioches la Boulangère/Bouygues Télécom/Bbox Bouygues Télécom.

Dopers/alleged dopers who rode there.

• Didier Rous, who admitted taking EPO whilst on Festina and was suspended for 6 months, signed for Bonjour in 2000 and stayed there until 2007.
• Joseba Beloki, who arrived from ONCE to ride for Brioches for some of 2004, was implicated in Puerto whilst at Liberty Seguros, and cleared.
• Laurent Brochard, who was also implicated in the Festina Affair and suspended for 6 months, rode for Bouygues in 05, 06 and 07.
Note: Laurent Lefèvre rode for Festina from 1997-99, but was one of the thee riders named as being clean. He joined Brioches in 2004, and is still with Bbox.

Riders who came from suspicious teams.

• Jean-Cyril Robin rode for Festina and US Postal from 1995 to 1998 before riding for Bonjour in 2000 and 2001. However, he broke omertà to speak out about doping after Pantani's death.
• Pascal Deramé, who rode for Bonjour in 2000, 2001 and 2002, rode for US Postal from 1997-99.
• Emmanuel Magnien rode for Festina in 1996 and 97, and rode for Bonjour in 2002 and Brioches in 2003.
• Unai Emilio Yus Querejeta, who rode for Brioches in 2004 and Bouygues in 05, came from a succession of Portuguese teams.
• Jonas Tschopp rode from 2004-06 at Phonak before joining Bouygues in 2007.

None of these, or any other rider at the team, has tested positive for anything whilst at that team (as far I know/can remember).

:D

(I'm counting System U/Castorama as a different team, as there was no team from 96 until Bernaudeu set up Bonjour - Vendée U doesn't count either as they were a development team)

I might do one of these posts about Française des Jeux/Cofidis/AG2R tomorrow if I'm bored.

I think a better question is, "Are any teams serious about all their riders being clean--not testing clean but actually being clean?"

I would place most of the French teams in that category. A couple of years ago I would have said Slipstream but not anymore. Vaughters is like a new politician who runs for office by railing against the insiders; after he gets elected he assimilates with the the very people he denounced; and then in no time he is slapping the fatcats on the back in smokey back rooms while they all make plans to dole out the pork.

Bonjour/Bbox are the only team I can think of without a positive rider. They did sign Rous/Robin/Brochard all ex Festina, but Rous had become verbally anti-doping by then, he raised questions about the signing of Beloki with the team saying he didnt think Beloki fitted in with the team ethos, Beloki didnt survive long there.

I find it hard to believe that in 10 years in the pro peloton, this team have not had a single positive test or even been linked to any doping cases whatsoever. If there was one team I would back to be clean, it would be Bbox.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think a better question is, "Are any teams serious about all their riders being clean--not testing clean but actually being clean?"

I would place most of the French teams in that category. A couple of years ago I would have said Slipstream but not anymore. Vaughters is like a new politician who runs for office by railing against the insiders; after he gets elected he assimilates with the the very people he denounced; and then in no time he is slapping the fatcats on the back in smokey back rooms while they all make plans to dole out the pork.

vaughters sounds like our president:D

r.avens

BANNED
Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Change we can believe in.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
r.avens said:
Change we can believe in.

if you're talking about obama some people prefer someone who compromises with a filthy system they loathe to try and do some good within deeply entrenched limitations than someone who proudly symbolises and spreads such filth.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Clean Teams

Saxo Bank, Why. Because I think that Bjarne knows what it cost him not being clean. I think that weighs heavy on his mind and I trully believe that all Team Saxo banks riders are clean. I hope very much that there are quite a few other teams that are clean. I feel very sorry for any team that are doing their best to change the sport for the better who suddenly find out they have a "maverick" rider in their squad whose ambition out weighs their talent and or ability.

I think the whole timespan for the process of testing, analysing to publishing of results needs to be seriously looked at and significantly speeded up.

allstar56 said:
Saxo Bank, Why. Because I think that Bjarne knows what it cost him not being clean. I think that weighs heavy on his mind and I trully believe that all Team Saxo banks riders are clean.

What it cost him? Doping brought him a 3 top 10 finishes in the Tour (including the overall win in 96 and 4 stages), 2 Giro stages, and an Amstel Gold win in 97. "The only effect I had was that I rode faster" He only admitted it because everybody else on Telekom did.

I wonder if he would have been appointed to take over Team Memory Card-Jack & Jones if he had stayed as the average rider he was before 93?

allstar56 said:
I trully believe that all Team Saxo banks riders are clean.

lol_cat-12926.jpg

Anyway, Basso rode for Saxo when he was caught up in Puerto. Frank Schleck (either him or Lombardi were 'amigo di birillo') made that payment to Fuentes, and he and Riis flew to Spain the day before. Also, Cecchini was a doctor there. Bartoli/Sansone was in Puerto too. Oh, and Tyler Hamilton. It is very likely that CSC had a team-wide organised doping regime. I wouldn't bet against that now, or at least all of the big riders.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If even after "coming clean" Riis still lies even on a tiny insignificant thing like his HcT that doesn't matter to anyone except to his own ego, he's certainly not going to be honest about something like this when his life's work hangs in the balance.

TRENDING THREADS