Is Barry Bonds' Trial The Hold Up?

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
fatandfast said:
Berzin maybe you can look at some of those conjured photos of the Colombian teams in Colorado. Those guys I am sure don't sell any equipment to make ends meet..or to get home after the race. They are probably just using a rental van and loaner mag trainers because they are trying to make friends. Selling equipment and swag by racers is hardly a fairy tale. Doing it to create a drug slush fund may be, after all Landis has a book full
Riders selling bikes at the END of the season is common place.

But, according to Floyd Landis, in 2004 at the START of the season (Paris-Nice in March) 60 of 120 bikes allocated by Trek were not available to riders. Which suggests they had been sold and/or reserved for sale by the team before the season was underway.

I would speculate that most of those bikes never left the US as there would be a higher demand in the US driving up prices and for logistic and economic considerations for delivery.

Trek stated (WSJ article) that the bicycles were "meant" for the riders (to use) but Trek were aware they had been sold.

"Robert Burns, general counsel for Trek, said the company was aware that bikes meant for U.S. Postal riders were being sold, but said it didn't know what the money was used for."
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
Boeing said:
Feds drop remaining charges against Bonds.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6914479/federal-prosecutors-drop-remaining-charges-barry-bonds

US against LA is on the clock
But his conviction for obstruction of justice has been upheld and he will be sentenced in December.

The remaining charges were dropped without prejudice and the opportunity exists for reinstatement.

No cause for crowing by the LA fanboys as the charges against Bonds (indictments for perjury and obstruction of justice) arose out of the case against BALCO proceedings and are minute and pale to insignificance compared to the prospective indictments in the LA/Tailwind RICO case.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Race Radio said:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/08/MNK91MAF5G.DTL

Prosecutors seek 15 months of jail time for Barry Bonds. I doubt they will get it but it should be a message to anyone targeted by the Feds, don't lie and if you do work out a plea deal instead of wasting time and money on a trial
15 months is barely a slap on the wrist....
And you feel that he won't even get that?

Barry was originally indicted on over 10 Federal Counts.
13 counts I believe.
Do you think a "plea deal" would have worked out better for him?
Maybe he would have been sentenced to less than a year with a plea deal?
Maybe let off the hook completely?

If Lance is let off the hook, we can pretend it was a plea deal.
That way you can say "See, I was right" lol.

Plea deals.
Flushed down the toilet out of spite.
 
Aug 10, 2010
6,286
0
0
Polish said:
15 months is barely a slap on the wrist....
And you feel that he won't even get that?

Barry was originally indicted on over 10 Federal Counts.
13 counts I believe.
Do you think a "plea deal" would have worked out better for him?
Maybe he would have been sentenced to less than a year with a plea deal?
Maybe let off the hook completely?

If Lance is let off the hook, we can pretend it was a plea deal.
That way you can say "See, I was right" lol.

Plea deals.
Flushed down the toilet out of spite.
Fifteen months barely a slap on the wrist? What planet do you live on? Martha Stewart probably didn't feel like her wrists were merely slapped!
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
MarkvW said:
Fifteen months barely a slap on the wrist? What planet do you live on? Martha Stewart probably didn't feel like her wrists were merely slapped!
Planet Claire.

What do Victor Conte or Martha have to do with this.
They served their time and are more successful than ever.

But 15 months for Barry is a slap on the wrist compared to what could have been.

Over 10 Federal Counts.
Over 100 years of potential prison time.

If Barry had done a "Plea Deal" instead of going to trial, do you think he would have gotten less than 15 months or whatever he ends up with?

I think a plea deal settlement would have been a spanking.
Nothing really bad.
But worse than a slap on the wrist.
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
Polish said:
Planet Claire.

What do Victor Conte or Martha have to do with this.
They served their time and are more successful than ever.

But 15 months for Barry is a slap on the wrist compared to what could have been.

Over 10 Federal Counts.
Over 100 years of potential prison time.

If Barry had done a "Plea Deal" instead of going to trial, do you think he would have gotten less than 15 months or whatever he ends up with?

I think a plea deal settlement would have been a spanking.
Nothing really bad.
But worse than a slap on the wrist.
Polish, put it into proper perspective.

The target was BALCO (Victor Conte).

All witnesses had been granted immunities from prosecution.

Three of those witnesses breached the terms of the grants of immunities (Marion Jones, Tammy Thomas & Barry Bonds) and were indicted with, to date, two having been sentenced. Conte's lawyer was indicted for GJ leaks.

Victor Conte did a plea deal on two charges and was sentenced to 8 months.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Velodude said:
Polish, put it into proper perspective.

(...)
Polish is clearly coming to grips with reality. We should praise him for that.
From "he never doped" to "a level playing field", to "15 months is a slap on the wrist".
I see improvement there.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
sniper said:
Polish is clearly coming to grips with reality. We should praise him for that.
From "he never doped" to "a level playing field", to "15 months is a slap on the wrist".
I see improvement there.
Gosh, I do not remember the "never doped" or "level playing field" phases.
I always thought I said the playing field was NEVER level when Lance took part. Lance was alone on the Level of Awesomeness.
But anyway, I will take your word for it....

15 months yawn.
Thank you sir may I have another
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
Polish said:
Gosh, I do not remember the "never doped" or "level playing field" phases.
I always thought I said the playing field was NEVER level when Lance took part. Lance was alone on the Level of Awesomeness.
But anyway, I will take your word for it....

15 months yawn.
Thank you sir may I have another
15 months or any sentence time will crucify LA's standing, lifestyle, public persona, income and his net worth.

He will be a convicted felon. Won't be able to afford his Gulfstream intercontinental capable jet and other high income trappings. As he will be persona non grata in most countries the jet will become superfluous anyway.

As he conducted his alleged fraudulent conduct through the medium of a corporation he will be disqualified from directorships for a long period (see Martha Stewart) including the LA Foundation, if it continues to exist.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Velodude said:
15 months or any sentence time will crucify LA's standing, lifestyle, public persona, income and his net worth.

He will be a convicted felon. Won't be able to afford his Gulfstream intercontinental capable jet and other high income trappings. As he will be persona non grata in most countries the jet will become superfluous anyway.

As he conducted his alleged fraudulent conduct through the medium of a corporation he will be disqualified from directorships for a long period (see Martha Stewart) including the LA Foundation, if it continues to exist.
I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself Velodude.
We are talking about 15 months for Barry not Lance.

Lance has not even been indicted yet.
Ducks in a row, remember?
But maybe the indictments will come next Tuesday.

Tuesday the 13th boo!
 
May 9, 2009
583
0
0
30 days house arrest seems a bit harsh for telling a rambling story that was all true but simply didn't really answer the question asked. But under the circumstances, it's clearly Bonds 1, Novitsky 0.
 
Mar 10, 2009
286
0
0
Add one more homerun to Bond's homerun total. The $4000 fine was funny, did Barry pull a knot out of pocket to pay that with?
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
mikeNphilly said:
Add one more homerun to Bond's homerun total. The $4000 fine was funny, did Barry pull a knot out of pocket to pay that with?
Hard to see how spending $15 million, being a convicted felon, and wearing an ankle bracelet is a home run.

Anyone who followed the trial knows Bonds got very lucky. 1 clueless juror, a groupie friend who went to jail instead of telling the truth, and a couple technicalities.
 
Mar 10, 2009
286
0
0
Since Barry earned $188,245,322 from baseball alone, whatever he spent on lawyer fees, only Barry and his lawyers know that, was not a big deal. He doesn't go to jail, 30 days at his palace, whew how terrible. The results turned out great for him, considering what he could have gotten.

Edit: Almost forgot until his appeal is heard, none of this goes into effect, which might take a year and a half or more, or not all if he wins the appeal.
 
Aug 3, 2009
3,217
0
0
mikeNphilly said:
Since Barry earned $188,245,322 from baseball alone, whatever he spent on lawyer fees, only Barry and his lawyers know that, was not a big deal. He doesn't go to jail, 30 days at his palace, whew how terrible. The results turned out great for him, considering what he could have gotten.
See, I don't get this.

Yes, the result was better than what COULD have happened, but it is still worse than what WOULD have happened had he not been a ******.

In the end, spending $15 million for absolutely no reason, having so much of you time occupied by the investigation and trial, and in the end having the tag "convicted felon" appended to you name somehow seems not so great versus just manning up and being done in 5 minutes, 8 years ago.
 
Aug 9, 2010
6,264
0
0
mikeNphilly said:
Since Barry earned $188,245,322 from baseball alone, whatever he spent on lawyer fees, only Barry and his lawyers know that, was not a big deal. He doesn't go to jail, 30 days at his palace, whew how terrible. The results turned out great for him, considering what he could have gotten.

Edit: Almost forgot until his appeal is heard, none of this goes into effect, which might take a year and a half or more, or not all if he wins the appeal.
The sad part is you almost sound as if you are high-fiving Bonds for beating the system as it were.
Is having a lot of money and being 'the dude' the things that earn your respect?
haha have a big laugh on our justice system...

A lot of people seem to think a 'win' is when you either find a lame way out of being held responsible for your s*** or use your big bucks to roll over 'the man'.

Maybe I'm wrong but there are so many out there that speak as if this is the case.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
mewmewmew13 said:
The sad part is you almost sound as if you are high-fiving Bonds for beating the system as it were.
Is having a lot of money and being 'the dude' the things that earn your respect?
haha have a big laugh on our justice system...

A lot of people seem to think a 'win' is when you either find a lame way out of being held responsible for your s*** or use your big bucks to roll over 'the man'.

Maybe I'm wrong but there are so many out there that speak as if this is the case.
Very good post.
 
May 9, 2009
583
0
0
MacRoadie said:
See, I don't get this.

Yes, the result was better than what COULD have happened, but it is still worse than what WOULD have happened had he not been a ******.

In the end, spending $15 million for absolutely no reason, having so much of you time occupied by the investigation and trial, and in the end having the tag "convicted felon" appended to you name somehow seems not so great versus just manning up and being done in 5 minutes, 8 years ago.

Maybe being a convicted of telling a rambling story about how you grew up with your dad playing baseball or whatever is better than having to go on record as a "cheat". As it stands, Bonds was never convicted of taking any illegal substance or cheating in baseball. Was that worth $15mil? I would think it would be. (btw, where does this $15mil number come from?)

As for how we judge rich guys who use their money on their defense, it doesn't give me a bad taste at all. In fact, it's the only time that a defendant really has a fair chance of defending himself against the government, which has basically unlimited resources and always outspends the defendants.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
stephens said:
Maybe being a convicted of telling a rambling story about how you grew up with your dad playing baseball or whatever is better than having to go on record as a "cheat". As it stands, Bonds was never convicted of taking any illegal substance or cheating in baseball. Was that worth $15mil? I would think it would be.
He was never charged with taking drugs or cheating so it would be hard for him to be convicted.....nice strawman
 
May 9, 2009
583
0
0
Race Radio said:
He was never charged with taking drugs or cheating so it would be hard for him to be convicted.....nice strawman
It's not a strawman. He was charged with lying when he denied using drugs, right? So if he had been convicted on those charges, then the official legal opinion on whether Bonds had cheated at baseball would have been that he had in fact taken them. But he beat those charges!

But my post was in response to the claim that he would have come out better had he just testified truthfully - and by "truthfully", Macroadie meant Bonds should have said that he used steroids - rather than being convicted of a felony for obstruction. I suspect that is not actually true. History will remember those that admitted it, with certainty. The official case on Bonds will always be that "he probably did it, but his trainer saved him," or "he probably did it but had good lawyers..." or whatever.

Is that a distinction worth whatever Bonds spent on his defense. Maybe it is.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
stephens said:
It's not a strawman. He was charged with lying when he denied using drugs, right? So if he had been convicted on those charges, then the official legal opinion on whether Bonds had cheated at baseball would have been that he had in fact taken them. But he beat those charges!

But my post was in response to the claim that he would have come out better had he just testified truthfully - and by "truthfully", Macroadie meant Bonds should have said that he used steroids - rather than being convicted of a felony for obstruction. I suspect that is not actually true. History will remember those that admitted it, with certainty. The official case on Bonds will always be that "he probably did it, but his trainer saved him," or "he probably did it but had good lawyers..." or whatever.

Is that a distinction worth whatever Bonds spent on his defense. Maybe it is.
Is there any person who has even a passing interest in the case who thinks that Bonds did not do drugs? He even tested positive.

History looks at Bonds as a joke. How do they fell about Andy Pettitte, a guy who admitted?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY