• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Is Chris Froome cleans?

DO YOU THINK FROOMEY IS RIDING CLEANS NOW ?

• Total voters
Do you think Chris froome is riding clean after he came back from that horrible accident? As he has been woeful in the races he participated so there's so liitle of him on camera and hard to see whether he stills inhale asthma medicine during racing...do you think he still inhale it?

Until some point I thought that at some stage he must have realized he can't be as competitive as before and decided to ride paniagua in order not to risk his legacy (and big money from the team). But now I'm not sure - his comments suggest he's not realizing anything!
He recently said it was obvious he couldn't challenge for the TDF GC and just wants to target stages. He got third on a stage last year so I think it's not impossible to dream. What comment did you see that suggested continued delusion?

He recently said it was obvious he couldn't challenge for the TDF GC and just wants to target stages. He got third on a stage last year so I think it's not impossible to dream. What comment did you see that suggested continued delusion?

Not going to the Tour due to problems with equipment, not because of form. This is too much.

Nah, probably just playing a role, so that he keeps getting played absurd money.

This could've been the case 2-3 years back when he promised fighting for the Tour win but who would he want to fool now? The team knows how it is and didn't take him to the Tour.

Chris Froome is currently riding how Chris Froome should have been riding all along.
And who knows if the crash was as serious as they made it out to be or even real? I have my doubts. The timing of everything after he was acquitted was a perfect excuse to dump him and then he found a sucker willing to pay him a ludicrous wage, unaware he bought a lemon. And even if the incident actually took place as reported, he's long since recovered and so, if the 2011-2018 Froome were authentic, his level now should be much, much higher. Since it is not can only mean one thing, namely the pre-incident Froome was on the most sophisticated doping program, possibly mechanical too, ever. I'd say he's simply off that program and is thus back to his pre-transformation state.

Last edited:
Since it is not can only mean one thing, namely the pre-incident Froome was on the most sophisticated doping program, possibly mechanical too, ever. I'd say he's simply off that program and is thus back to his pre-transformation state.

If his 2011-2018 level was only the effect of doping then yes, it must have been something super-effective. The abyss between it and the rest of his career is unbelievable. Then again, we don't really know what is the difference between riding paniagua and doped to the gills. According to various estimates it could be 5-7% on a single climb (so 2-3 minutes on AdH for example), which can translate to a bigger difference in a long race (due to more cumulated fatigue: constantly riding at a higher percentage of your aerobic capacity).

Last edited:
I very much doubt he's riding clean, but I don't think he's among the most doped riders anymore. Some people recover almost fully from their injuries, while others don't. I can't be sure which group Froome belongs to, but he doesn't strike me as someone who would be satisfied with his current performance, if he knew he could easily improve by going all-in like in the old days. Not even if he's getting paid a ship load without haveing to do anything

I'm sure he now knows he won't ever be competitive again, but I doubt it wasn't originally his intention to try and get back to his former level. Whether he realised it wouldn't be possible before he signed with IPT is anyone's guess, but chapeau to Sylvan Adams for always having faith in the old guys.

Reactions: xo 1
My opinion? The whole of Israel Premier Tech juiced it in the 2022 TdF, i.e. which gave them stage wins with Houle & Clarke. It also allowed for Froome to get an 'okayish' result on Alpe. But the percentage increase in performance thanks to the dope no longer offsets Froome's inherent uselessness.

I could also speculate that his "equipment" complaints have something to do with access to PEDs recently, or lack thereof. It seems like a 'message' more to his team than to his fans. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I always have a habit of assuming people aren't as delusional or stupid as they pretend to be. Froome knows stuff about his team & leveraged that with his complaints about his non-selection.

"put me on the good stuff & send me to the Tour 2024".

Only Froome & his team know the specifics. In this conspiracy level bunk? I don't think so. Because when his comments are taken at face value we can only conclude Froome is a mental case. Is that more plausible than the scenario in which Froome wants back on the PED program next year? It just seems like the history of this rider & the sport in general gives clues regarding which way to lean with regards to certain speculations.

Last edited:
Reactions: FroomeWagon
BTW the above post is just me theorizing an explanation regarding a situation which is pretty inexplicable (like the how & why surrounding the Froome mystery since 2019 & the role of Sylvain Adams in all this).

For example there was a part in Tyler Hamilton's book in which he mentioned a point in his career when was punished (of sorts) by his own team after glowing radioactive a little too much with a high haematocrit level, so Bruyneel & Postal put him in a cooler for a while. Hamilton wrote about how at the time he felt it was a great "injustice" because his form was so good. So this is the sort of sh*t which happens in pro cycling, i.e. these guys live in a bubble.

So when I see Froome unhappy with his non-selection for the Tour (even when his performance is utter shite tbh), there's got to be something else going on there IMO.

And who knows if the crash was as serious as they made it out to be or even real? I have my doubts. The timing of everything after he was aquited was a perfect excuse to dump him and then he found suckers willing to pay him a ludicrous wage, unaware they bought a lemon. And even if the incident actually took place as reported, he's long since recovered and so, if the 2011-2018 Froome were authentic, his level now should be much, much higher. Since it is not can only mean one thing, namely the pre-incident Froome was on the most sophisticated doping program, possibly mechanical too, ever. I'd say he's simply off that program and is thus back to

If Froome gets on the good stuff and has a big Tour result in ‘24 that’s just an even worse look, surely the public will eat it up though.

I'd wager he isn't going to the Tour next year. It would be absurd (he'll be 39).

If IPT don't want to take him, no one else will. This is the end of Froome as a professional rider. I reckon Adams will pay him the rest of his contract & let him go at the end of the season (if there's no real get out clause).

If his 2011-2018 level was only the effect of doping then yes, it must have been something super-effective. The abyss between it and the rest of his career is unbelievable. Then again, we don't really know what is the difference between riding paniagua and doped to the gills. According to various estimates it could be 5-7% on a single climb (so 2-3 minutes on AdH for example), which can translate to a bigger difference in a long race (due to more cumulated fatigue: constantly riding at a higher percentage of your aerobic capacity).
5-7% at the very top, for a great responder, but not against those going on pane e acqua. If everyone were clean, then I think we arrive at 10-15% difference and, over a six hour race through mountains, you do the math. We're talking about 20-30 minutes.

I'd wager he isn't going to the Tour next year. It would be absurd (he'll be 39).

If IPT don't want to take him, no one else will. This is the end of Froome as a professional rider. I reckon Adams will pay him the rest of his contract & let him go at the end of the season (if there's no real get out clause).
I think IPT will do exactly what you say ... tell him he is done riding for IPT and pay him his salary for the next year and half. If I were Adams, I would also tell him that he is still under contract and therefore is not allowed to ride for anyone else. If he wants to ride somewhere else next year, then his buyout will be negotiated down. Would another team pick him up? Probably not, but I think Froome's ego would tell him otherwise.

Reactions: Rackham

I don't think anyone would take him either. Team spots ar too valuable to waste on Froome. But I bet he will shop around for a contract.

I don't think anyone would take him either. Team spots ar too valuable to waste on Froome. But I bet he will shop around for a contract.
He can shop around but I just don’t understand why he bothers?

Froome has won all three grand tours including 4 TdFs. He has plenty of money and can retire comfortably. He was already showing signs of decline before his crash and as mentioned he will be 39 by next years Tour?

With the young talent coming through its impossible to see what he could bring to any team knowing he would still cost more than nurturing a promising young rider at a discount and without the baggage that Froome would bring?

Reactions: Monte Serra
He can shop around but I just don’t understand why he bothers?

Perhaps he owes someone some moneys for making his excessive use of an inhaler disappear, so he needs to keep on racing?

Who knows.

The big change right now is the silent treatment Froome is getting from his team in terms of their PR, which is a stark contrast to the way Adams used to blow smoke up his backside. So it feels like the end is near. Especially as they don't really have many races to send him to later this year (no Vuelta for IPT).