• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Chris Horner a GC contender

Can Chris Horner be a GT contender?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So in a tough race contended by the likes of Valverde Sanchez Rodriguez and Gesink...Chris Horner won. Could he step up and be a contender in a GT.

Depends on a lot of factors. Time of year (the form of the other riders, etc.) Stage race (he will contend for week long races, don't see him competing in July). Whether he is riding for himself or someone else. Assuming all or most of those things work in his favor, the answer is yes--as demonstrated today.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
There are 3 GT's a year, RS isn't riding one of them...how many years does he have left? though he does seem to get better with each passing one.

When Hincapie won that mountains stage in the Tour a few years ago, everyone went crazy over his GC chances.

When Cancellara recently won Flanders in such dominating style, suddenly he was put on the short list to win Liege and Lombardy.

Horner has a good run at a short stage race, and suddenly at age 38 he's GC material.

Don't think so.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Top 10, may be even top 5 when others explode, but there is a big difference between that and a genuine GT "contender"
He did surprise me with his TT, though.

karlboss said:
So in a tough race contended by the likes of Valverde Sanchez Rodriguez and Gesink...Chris Horner won. Could he step up and be a contender in a GT.

Yes,when racing only for 5-7 days......otherwise no bl**dy way .3 weeks to long for Horner....unless he is carrying bottles for you no who???Lets remember Sanchez,Rodriguez and Gesink's goals dont come till later in the year....there just traininig at the moment..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Yes,when racing only for 5-7 days......otherwise no bl**dy way .3 weeks to long for Horner....unless he is carrying bottles for you no who???Lets remember Sanchez,Rodriguez and Gesink's goals dont come till later in the year....there just traininig at the moment..

So Horner structured his training to peak for this race?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
That i dont know but,the others definantley didn't.I guess Horner fans have the right to dream too dont they??

There is no way he peaked for this race, even if he is racing as domestique he'll be looking to peak for the Tour.

karlboss said:
There is no way he peaked for this race, even if he is racing as domestique he'll be looking to peak for the Tour.

Isn't he doing the Ardennes Classics? I assume he wants to do well there, so he MAY be peaking about now. Also to clarify my first post (because I overlooked the GT part), my answer is an unequivocal no. His time is past. He's a domestique, but let's be honest when the big boys who are targeting the GT's are on form, he's not going to be in the picture long. I think smaller stage races are his for the picking--provided he's riding for himself with team support and AC isn't racing

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I would put him in as one of the favourites for the Tour...... (of California.)

It was a great win today - but we shouldn't get too carried away - I think when he matures in 3 or 4 years he could have a shot.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Chris is getting up in years but he is an animated and smart rider. I think his weaknesses are in his injuries. Obviously he knows how to train to win whichever races he chooses.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Pub - "He's a domestique"

Sorry, but domestiques don't win PT stage races lilke Vascolandia, especially in front of Valv, Sanchez, Schleck and Heysink. There was alot of motivated Vascos y Espanyoles that race. And they're in form right now going into next week.

Joey_J said:

Sorry, but domestiques don't win PT stage races lilke Vascolandia, especially in front of Valv, Sanchez, Schleck and Heysink. There was alot of motivated Vascos y Espanyoles that race. And they're in form right now going into next week.

Sure they do. I saw a domestique win a stage at Algarve, Sarthe and now Tour of the Basque Country. All this year. All domestiques for Radio Shack.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Joey_J said:

Chris is a Super-Domestique

Like Vino, Oscar, Levi, or Klodi.
George, Frank, or Gesink.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I would put him in as one of the favourites for the Tour...... (of California.)

It was a great win today - but we shouldn't get too carried away - I think when he matures in 3 or 4 years he could have a shot.

+1

I agree enthusiastically with the good Doctor - Horner needs to percolate a couple more
years before reaching his peak/perfection. Can't rush these things.

Planets, Moon, Sun all need to align....

Giro/Tour double 2012?

horner2012-1.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Chris is a Super-Domestique

Like Vino, Oscar, Levi, or Klodi.
George, Frank, or Gesink.

Levi and Klodi are definitely GT contenders, all they need to do is state they are going for it. Yes Domestiques can win stages...Horner won the overall. 3 weeks is too long? remains to be seen, he has been getting stronger and last year his 2 GTs he crashed out after 1 week.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Horner

He’s a domestique because there are proven GT riders on his team. Even Zubeldia’s come in 5th in the Tour. It’s more important to have one guy win than 3 guys come in top 10. But if he was on Lotto this year, he’d be the GC leader and barring a crash, would be right up there.

Joey_J said:
He’s a domestique because there are proven GT riders on his team. Even Zubeldia’s come in 5th in the Tour. It’s more important to have one guy win than 3 guys come in top 10. But if he was on Lotto this year, he’d be the GC leader and barring a crash, would be right up there.

I'd say Jurgen would be, given the issues they had last year in the TdF.

Almost everyone is riding the Tour this year, so it will be hard for riders like Horner or JVdB to crack the top 10 ahead of Armstrong, Klöden, Leipheimer, Contador, Valverde, Sanchez, Menchov, Gesink, Nibali, Kreuziger, Evans, Wigans, Sastre, Vandevelde etc

TRENDING THREADS