• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Contador THAT hated in U.S

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Polish said:
Not sure about that "girlfriend salute".
Why would he be shooting a gun at his girlfriend??

On one of the Alberto FanSites, he did answer the question on how the
salute began.....do not have the link sorry...

Alberto said it was a hunting thing - that he likes to hunt. Not Big Game animals, mind you, but the little bunnys and ground squirrels that live in the woods near his home.
He likes to blow their freaking furry heads off yikes.

Ironically, later in the interview, he is asked what he would have done if did not become a Pro Cyclist. He answered "Veterinarian".

hug1.jpg

hug2.jpg

hug3.jpg

If you ask me to give details or links I'll tell you right now I don't have any, the only thing I know is that he did this in the win of Plateu de beille in 07 and it he said it was a gesture for Macarena, whether he was joking or not being sincere, well I don't know, but your arguments lacks proof as well, so I still go with mine.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been intentionally avoiding this post, but I checked out the last few pages (with my ignore list shielding me), and I can weigh in on a few things. I also read that the salute is for his long-time girlfriend, Macarena. From my perspective as an American who's been around a while, it never makes me think of shooting. I've seen it used as a gesture of greeting or recognition for years, and yes, some times even in a flirtatious way. Some years back, actor Paul Newman was introduced from the audience of the David Letterman show. He stood up and made the gesture to Dave, and then to bandleader Paul Shaefer. Dave thought it was cool as hell, and showed a replay later.

I agree about the time frame of Giro d'Italia or before.

I read tons of interviews last Fall, and a few mentioned the hunting. One said that he enjoys going out with his dog Tour, and that they end up running. When asked, he said that birds have nothing to fear from him. Last Fall when he was at the one race weekend at the resort with the Schleck boys, he invited Andy, also a hunter, to come hunting with him some time.

Armstrong was the one that called him Pistolero. I don't think he ever did it in person, but in his obnoxious tweet after the Tour.

Alberto gave an interview in English earlier in the year, and afterward said that his English instructor would be pulling his hair out if he saw it. But he and Specialized are making an effort. They close caption his interview videos with English subtitles. If you think about it, he doesn't race, or do interviews, in countries where English is the main language. But there are tons of interviews in Spanish that never get translated. And while it was cool that they made the video of the road trip last week, he talked a ton and I have no idea what any of it was. I was reading excerpts from the press conference in other languages yesterday before VeloNews posted the story, and the quotes (of the same answers) were different in all of them.

From what I can tell, Contador is an intelligent, professional, honest, thoughtful person. He called Jonathan Vaughters up to wish him a Happy New Year, and JV tweeted about what a polite boy he is.

If you want to understand him, just go to the English side of his website and read through the old "News" articles, and the ones in the Press Room. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.albertocontador.com/noticias.detalle.php?id=92

And here's the best interview I read about the Tour last year.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/436521/after-the-tour-the-alberto-contador-interview.html

Forget the nonsense that Armstrong spewed and make up your own minds.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
well it's cool that he got the nickname from a rider in the peloton (even if he didn't consider it a compliment) and not someone like his brother.

I still haven't found an interview about the salute being for his girlfriend but that is in line with everything I have found about him so I'll take your and gatete's word for it. Thanks for putting that one to rest.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
... From what I can tell, Contador is an intelligent, professional, honest, thoughtful person. He called Jonathan Vaughters up to wish him a Happy New Year, and JV tweeted about what a polite boy he is.

I agree Contador is great champion and decent person. I definitely admire his success.

Much of the dislike from Americans should be viewed as "we hate whoever is Lance's rival". If Jan Ullrich was still around, Americans would be hating on him. If Andy Schleck, Cadel Evans, or Bradley Wiggins were on Astana with Lance last year and they won instead of Lance, they would be called "assholes". And if Contador sucked, he would be a "nice guy".

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
The gun shot as he crossed the line started when he was with Astana and they were denied entry into the Tour. He saw it as symbolizing shooting his critics.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The gun shot as he crossed the line started when he was with Astana and they were denied entry into the Tour. He saw it as symbolizing shooting his critics.

As always, sources and citations, please. (It sounds like the most straightforward explanation, but someone's gonna ask for the source, may as well be me.)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
As always, sources and citations, please. (It sounds like the most straightforward explanation, but someone's gonna ask for the source, may as well be me.)

The first time he did it was at Vuelta a Castilla y León in 2008.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/road/contador-wins-mountaintop-duel_73748

It was only a few days after Astana had been excluded from the Tour and Contador was very vocal the entire race about what he perceived as an injustice. Most at the time took the gesture as a shot at his critics.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
I'm pretty sure he did it at the 2007 Tour at Plateau de Beille

Edit:
fs001.jpg

You are right. I seem to remember much discussion about it in early 2008.

I may also be confusing him with Palo Bettini who adopted a similar celebration when he was almost banned from the worlds....I think?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Conta's racing style rocks, he lights it up from the moment the season starts, nothing worse than the GT Primadonnas snoozefesting until July. Conta respects the races and rides them to win. He has a Champions attitude.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Agreed Red - and the sport needs true champions, not self serving publicity seekers who'll do anything to advance themselves rather than the sport.

To 'dislike' him because a) he wins a great deal b) he uses a somewhat naff victory gesture and c) he doesn't shoot his mouth off at every opportunity seems somewhat, um, pathetic really - and certainly misses the point about the sport.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
To 'dislike' him because a) he wins a great deal b) he uses a somewhat naff victory gesture and c) he doesn't shoot his mouth off at every opportunity seems somewhat, um, pathetic really - and certainly misses the point about the sport.
I'd say let everyone dislike any rider they want, for any politically incorrect, beside-the-point, or pathetic reason. Sport is one of those games where we can choose sides in any way we please.

That said, knowing that in some places, people are cursing and swearing when he wins makes any victory of Contador quite satisfying.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Agreed Red - and the sport needs true champions, not self serving publicity seekers who'll do anything to advance themselves rather than the sport.

It'd be great if this would apply to people in entertainment and business as well. After this last econo-dump it'd be refreshing to reward those that legitimately accomplish something.

theswordsman said:
blah blah blah...

Armstrong was the one that called him Pistolero. I don't think he ever did it in person, but in his obnoxious tweet after the Tour.

Incorrect - I have read the Spanish sports press my whole life - in Spanish, my native language - not in Google translate - and they were the ones who dubbed him El Pistolero de Pinto.

TRENDING THREADS