• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Evans going to the Giro next year?

Here's what Evans tweeted to the Maglia Rosa:
"Unfinished business...or more appropriate for me: This time I'm keeping it until <insert name of finish here>"
Is he saying that he'll retry to win the Giro? Or is it just a nice sentence?
This tweet will be printed on next year Maglia Rosa (like others will be), anyway.

i really hope he goes for the giro. he knows he can't beat a on top form contador so he might as well do the giro vuelta double and with some luck finish his career with the triple crown like contador has. ofc he will also ride the tour instead of the vuelta(which i completely understand) but still i think winning a tour and a giro is much better then 1 tour and another tour podium next year.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Here's what Evans tweeted to the Maglia Rosa:
"Unfinished business...or more appropriate for me: This time I'm keeping it until <insert name of finish here>"
Is he saying that he'll retry to win the Giro? Or is it just a nice sentence?
This tweet will be printed on next year Maglia Rosa (like others will be), anyway.

Nothing announced. But my guess no.

Tour and then north American races then worlds for 2012. I don't think defending T-A will be on his program.

just some guy said:

Tour and then north American races world for 2012. I don't think defending T-A will be on his program.

Why would T-A not be on his program? He has to start his season somewhere, and given how strong he has been the last two seasons why change a winning program? Perhaps the more important question is will he skip the Ardennes week.

As defending champion he has to give himself the best chance of winning the 2012 Tour, so that definitely rules out the Giro. But if he's still competitive in 13/14 then maybe he can try the Giro. Given that he wasn't far from winning it in either attempts so far it's understandable if he wants to finish the job (now that he's got the GT monkey off his back).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
the thing is: is he still obsessed with it now that he won it? he does has some unfinished business with the giro.

and basso vs evans 2.0 would be awesome next year :p

at his melbourne celebration, I got the vibe the he was extremely intent on defending the race, and his ambitions in regards to the tour hadn't decreased at all.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I wish Gesink would ride the Giro instead of the Tour for once. Ultra steep tempo climbing for the win...

me to man.
Giro-Vuelta attempt would be awesome.

Unfortunately I think he values the tour pretty highly also. So do rabo, and I am certain they will pressure gesink even if he didn't wanna race it.

Of course the emergence of mollema and kruijswijk should lessen his pressure in theory.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why would T-A not be on his program? He has to start his season somewhere, and given how strong he has been the last two seasons why change a winning program?

As defending champion he has to give himself the best chance of winning the 2012 Tour, so that definitely rules out the Giro. But if he's still competitive in 13/14 then maybe he can try the Giro. Given that he wasn't far from winning it in either attempts so far it's understandable if he wants to finish the job (now that he's got the GT monkey off his back).

In an interview after Colorado he said we are planning for next year and mentioned long season next year with worlds and may start later than this year and not race T-A.

I think 2013 will be Giro again

just some guy said:
In an interview after Colorado he said we are planning for next year and mentioned long season next year with worlds and may start later than this year and not race T-A.

I see, thanks. Fair enough sacrifice if it means Worlds/Lombardy and maybe even Vuelta being on the cards.

Settimana Coppi e Bartali would be good place to start then.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I wish Gesink would ride the Giro instead of the Tour for once. Ultra steep tempo climbing for the win...

Riding the Giro instead of the Tour is perceived as a relegation to the lower ranks by most riders today. I can't see Rabobank doing that to Gesink unless TGBM wins the Vuelta. :D

Parrulo said:
i really hope he goes for the giro. he knows he can't beat a on top form contador so he might as well do the giro vuelta double and with some luck finish his career with the triple crown like contador has. ofc he will also ride the tour instead of the vuelta(which i completely understand) but still i think winning a tour and a giro is much better then 1 tour and another tour podium next year.

No way will he do the Giro vuelta double. If he does the Giro hell have to do the Tour even if only to defend, and wear the number 1, and all the press that comes with being defending champion.

as a defending TDF champion: - he shouldn't
as BMC's politics:-he won't
as part of TDF build-up: he shouldn't

having stated the above- If he's going to do his program next year as this one- he'll be fit to go to the tour BUT if Contador is acquitted from his Doping affair-he stands no chance at all to defend his title successfully-also he needs to consider the new Schleck/Bruyneel association & how Andy is going to be "transformed" next year....... IMO he should wait until January to prepare his calender accordingly to the circumstances I've mentioned.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Yes please... :eek: :eek:

Surely Rabo has to change for once you cant have 3 GC men fight in the TdF for the leadership. Although, why am I asking no way it'd happen.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I doubt it, Evans has always been a rider obsessed with le tour.
Obsessed? I wouldn't go that far. Yes he has wanted to win la vuelta but he has a close affection with the giro and italy especially with his wife and in general has a god relationship with the italian riders which is partly due to speaking the language.
just some guy said:

Tour and then north American races then worlds for 2012. I don't think defending T-A will be on his program.

I think it may be. He said his program will be similar to this year.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think Evans is hoping that everyone crashes out of next year's Tour just like this year's. Why try for something you have a legitimate chance of winning like the Giro when you can gamble on a one in twenty shot at the Tour.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
the thing is: is he still obsessed with it now that he won it? he does has some unfinished business with the giro.

and basso vs evans 2.0 would be awesome next year :p

My thoughts exactly.

TRENDING THREADS