• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Julian Dean under-rated?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
FTR I don't believe he is the best lead out man in the world, for mine, Mark Renshaw gets that tag. Well I suppose if you ask Tyler Farrar and Thor Hushovd who have waxed lyrical about him as a lead out man. He also rode and finished all three Grand Tours last year.

The reason why I ask if Dean is under rated is because he's somebody that doesn't always get the plaudits of others, and yet he has personally helped some big name sprinters to stage wins in important races.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I think Dean and Renshaw are quite different leadout men. Renshaw is at his best when he's the final rider in a sprint train like he was at last years TdF on numerous occations, simply because he is very fast himself. Dean, on the other hand, is a complete leadout on his own, as he's got the ability to always find a good position to start the sprint. Renshaw is faster than Dean, but he doesn't have the same positioning ability.

Dean is maybe underrated by the public, by certainly not by the sprinters.

TRENDING THREADS