• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Philippe Gilbert Doping?

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Dan2016 said:
Tilting at windmills I'm afraid. Building straw men. It's silly to suggest I think I'm better than ToreBear. I'm glad they at least took my post in the spirit intended (which was a friendly one).

I offered an opinion to ToreBear as to why I think they haven't proven their argument, whilst acknowledging I couldn't prove they are definitively wrong. Ultimately it comes down to opinion. However, in agreement with others here, I think what strongly strengthens the opinion that most riders are doping is the past, the ex-riders testimony, the speeds, power data, the corruption and so on (others here have covered these things). It's mine and others inductive & abductive reasoning vs ToreBears deductive reasoning. ToreBears theory (premise) that the bio-passport has caused a big drop in doping numbers is, in my opinion, incorrect - 'wishful thinking'. I think the premise is incorrect and using deduction itself is incorrect. That's it. Full stop. I then offered some links I thought they would find interesting, as points of discussion etc., not foolproof evidence for a definitive case I'm not even making (read: personal opinion, points of discussion etc)

The economics? Interesting. Do I know how to use Google? Yes.

The reasoning method above answers your blather and straw man about me dismissing evidence, blindly accepting WADA's call for more money etc., etc...

So, in summary, you're saying that while you know that not enough is being spent on anti-doping you don't know how much is actually being spent on anti-doping?

Ok, well, how much would be enough then, will you at least answer than for me, please? Would $300 million be enough?

fmk_RoI said:
Dan2016 said:
Tilting at windmills I'm afraid. Building straw men. It's silly to suggest I think I'm better than ToreBear. I'm glad they at least took my post in the spirit intended (which was a friendly one).

I offered an opinion to ToreBear as to why I think they haven't proven their argument, whilst acknowledging I couldn't prove they are definitively wrong. Ultimately it comes down to opinion. However, in agreement with others here, I think what strongly strengthens the opinion that most riders are doping is the past, the ex-riders testimony, the speeds, power data, the corruption and so on (others here have covered these things). It's mine and others inductive & abductive reasoning vs ToreBears deductive reasoning. ToreBears theory (premise) that the bio-passport has caused a big drop in doping numbers is, in my opinion, incorrect - 'wishful thinking'. I think the premise is incorrect and using deduction itself is incorrect. That's it. Full stop. I then offered some links I thought they would find interesting, as points of discussion etc., not foolproof evidence for a definitive case I'm not even making (read: personal opinion, points of discussion etc)

The economics? Interesting. Do I know how to use Google? Yes.

The reasoning method above answers your blather and straw man about me dismissing evidence, blindly accepting WADA's call for more money etc., etc...

So, in summary, you're saying that while you know that not enough is being spent on anti-doping you don't know how much is actually being spent on anti-doping?

Ok, well, how much would be enough then, will you at least answer than for me, please? Would $300 million be enough?

$300 million is not enough for WADA and their cronies - These agencies always want more money - The Anti-Doping movement is greedy.

Re:

therealthing said:
Well that illness that forced him to abandon Flanders certainly cleared up quickly!
Whenever I come down with a slight stomache ache it's usually at least three months before I'm even able to walk to the shops again, let alone ride my bike. So yes, clearly, Gilbert coming down with tummy trouble that caused him to abandon Dwars - and skip the Ronde three days on - yet still being able to win Paris-Roubaix a week and a half later, that's pas normal and only a complete idiot wouldn't see it as proof of DQS's massive doping programme.

fmk_RoI said:
therealthing said:
Well that illness that forced him to abandon Flanders certainly cleared up quickly!
Whenever I come down with a slight stomache ache it's usually at least three months before I'm even able to walk to the shops again, let alone ride my bike. So yes, clearly, Gilbert coming down with tummy trouble that caused him to abandon Dwars - and skip the Ronde three days on - yet still being able to win Paris-Roubaix a week and a half later, that's pas normal and only a complete idiot wouldn't see it as proof of DQS's massive doping programme.

Clearly being sick a week before a major race is no hindrance to winning if one is prepared the right way.

Re:

masking_agent said:
I think he's definitely on some new program including a few bags of blood every now and then

How could anyone on the outside possibly have a clue what if anything he's on? Why a "new program"? He's been at a higher level before.

Cycling isn't a simple equation of dope = wins. People still have ups and downs in form.

red_flanders said:
masking_agent said:
I think he's definitely on some new program including a few bags of blood every now and then

How could anyone on the outside possibly have a clue what if anything he's on? Why a "new program"? He's been at a higher level before.

Cycling isn't a simple equation of dope = wins. People still have ups and downs in form.
And as well as ups and downs let's not forget that Gilbert had five years with Jim Ochowicz at BMC, where careers went to hibernate.

(Though doubtlessly someone'll pop up to say this was time on the naughty step, the UCI imposing a Secret Ban on him by making him ride for BMC.)

TRENDING THREADS