• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Philippe Gilbert Doping?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The guy beats the best riders in the world, known dopers, flies out from being a good rider to the best in the world suddenly at age of 28.

I wouldnt start this if his fanboys didnt get on other peoples backs for doping.

But since they do, well, do you seriously believe he is clean?

So - you have no idea if PG is clean or not (just basing it on performance) - and the reason for this thread is just to bait and inflame others.

CitizenErased said:
Once again, Philippe Gilbert is one of the riders managed by McQuaid's son.
More protected than this, there's nothing in the world.

Wake up....

Once again, you have mentioned that Gilbert is managed by Andrew McQuaid.
There is no mention of Gilbert on McQuaids management website - can you source this or are you confusing Gilbert with Philip Deignan?
(To add I see that Phinney is not mentioned on that website either)

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
The performances that I see as suspicious are the super-human feats of prolonged effort, like flying up a 10% slope for kilometre after kilometre without slowing, or ITTing the last 50km of a major cobbled classic without anyone coming close to you. I don't see Gilbert doing any of these things. He has one strength, he plays to it, and he wins with it. It's not impossible that he is doped up to the gills, but I think we'd be seeing MUCH more impressive riding from him if he was.
I disagree, guys like Bartoli, Bettini, Rebellin were doped to the gills, and none of them ever did any of those things you describe, and where considerable less impressive in their classic wins. I've watched these races for 15 years, and pretty much every winner of the Ardennes classics during that period was a proven doper, and now there is someone who is much more impressive than any of them ever where?

Unless the biological passport is extremely effective, I don't why suddenly someone can dominate these races clean when everyone who won them in a less impressive way was doped up.

This is not necessarily a post that should be in the clinic but since someone's started a thread here- i think he is certainly benefitting from having a stronger team around him this year. Both Vanderent and Van den Broeck are able to do a lot of work for him up to the finale.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
There is no mention of Gilbert on McQuaids management website - can you source this or are you confusing Gilbert with Philip Deignan?

Now let's not bring facts into this. That's cheating.

(Gilbert's agent is a Belgian called Eddy Billen)

Jamsque said:
Gilbert is the best in the world at ONE thing: accelerating on a slope. That is not a skill which is augmented greatly by oxygen vector doping, which is the most prevalent and effective technique currently in use.

Agreed.

But I still have massive doubts. Just have to look at his performance in a dopefest like last year's L-B-L.

Those who say doping wouldnt be neccesary in short efforts, only in 10k climbs and 50 k time trials, should take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_athletics (especially the 100m section)

Dr. Maserati said:
So - you have no idea if PG is clean or not (just basing it on performance) - and the reason for this thread is just to bait and inflame others.

Nah im not baiting anyone. The guys i have in mind arent likely to visit this thread anyway. Its a legitimate discussion.

I personally believe he is dirty. I also believe that all my favourite riders are dirty. I dont buy that there are good guys (Gilbert, Andrew Schleck, etc) who dont dope, and bad guys ( Contador, Valverde, Spanish people) who do. At the top I feel they all do it. Its unfortunate but life is cruel. I continue to love cycling despite it.

I guess Cancellara must be wondering what's going on with Gilbert- and he (Cance) was the very one who casted all doubts last year with those ridiculous wins in RVV & P-R , and now Gilbert contests with an even unbelievable double in AGR & FW - which it wasn't suitable 100% to him, and now he suddenly drops all the top climbers like a bad habit...............

as always: When is too good to be truth....................................

Don't understand why Hitch seems to be so against Gilbert.

Anyway, I doubt that he is clean nowadays. It would be nice if he was, but there's no way to prove that.

Though he has hardly just suddenly become great aged 28, that is just baiting.

edit: We already know his agent isn't McQuaid.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Gilbert is the best in the world at ONE thing: accelerating on a slope. That is not a skill which is augmented greatly by oxygen vector doping, which is the most prevalent and effective technique currently in use.

err, thats utter bull$hit.

O2 increase will bring u to the line fresher. The strength androgens, will give you the power increase.

I dont think he is the best on a slope. Joaquin Rodriguez, Sammy Sanchez, can both do it. But they have other objectives. \

This is a weak spot on the calendar for the best ardenne subjects. Cos otherwise, Gilbert would be going head to head w Joaquin and SS. Then we have all 3 bringing their form (and requisite physioloogical parameters) to the boil at 100% for this week.

As it is, it is only Gilbert bringing his form at 100%. That does not make a fair fight no?

We only see who is best when there is not a hilly Worlds to peak for, and no GTs for riders like Joaquin and SS to target ;)

blackcat said:
err, thats utter bull$hit.

O2 increase will bring u to the line fresher. The strength androgens, will give you the power increase.

I dont think he is the best on a slope. Joaquin Rodriguez, Sammy Sanchez, can both do it. But they have other objectives. \

This is a weak spot on the calendar for the best ardenne subjects. Cos otherwise, Gilbert would be going head to head w Joaquin and SS. Then we have all 3 bringing their form (and requisite physioloogical parameters) to the boil at 100% for this week.

As it is, it is only Gilbert bringing his form at 100%. That does not make a fair fight no?

We only see who is best when there is not a hilly Worlds to peak for, and no GTs for riders like Joaquin and SS to target ;)

T-A is probably a fairer comparison. Gilbert not at his best (but still very good and had the form to take a stage) and neither were those peaking for the Giro or Tour.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jan the Man said:
This is not necessarily a post that should be in the clinic but since someone's started a thread here- i think he is certainly benefitting from having a stronger team around him this year. Both Vanderent and Van den Broeck are able to do a lot of work for him up to the finale.
Evans worked for him in Lombardia ;)

luckyboy said:
Don't understand why Hitch seems to be so against Gilbert.

Anyway, I doubt that he is clean nowadays. It would be nice if he was, but there's no way to prove that.

Though he has hardly just suddenly become great aged 28, that is just baiting.

edit: We already know his agent isn't McQuaid.

I dont hate Gilbert. I like anyone whose proffession is this thing of ours. Theres just this forum rivalry between Canc and Gilbert and I chose gilbert but I am happy to see him win, dont doubt that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
T-A is probably a fairer comparison. Gilbert not at his best (but still very good and had the form to take a stage) and neither were those peaking for the Giro or Tour.
No, I wanna see all coming in at the boil (both definitions) in the Ardennes week. And Ricco back. Personally, Ricco on gear, couild beat everyone in the peloton, in all events, bar the timetrialing km GTs. less than 50km of chrono he could even push Contador.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
everyone wants to believe that someone is clean. for many right now gilbert is that guy. i assume they all use something illegal.

erader

based on gilbert's past and his anti-doping stance, there appear to be two plausible scenarios:

He was clean when he was interviewed by kimmage back in (2005?). He managed to always excel in the early (het volk) and late season races when fewer riders (presumably) were blood doped and he could do well based on his much heralded natural abilities. However, in the middle of the season, he couldn't do anything against the doped peloton.

Either he:

1. Succumbed to the frustration and left francaise for lotto and a "program"; or
2. His much heralded natural ability has come into sharper focus at the same time as the biological passport taking effect (as he declares in a recent magazine interview)

the tragedy of modern cycling is that while i certainly do not negate #2, it can't be taken for granted, and we are left wondering and questioning...

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
It is a possibility that he has crossed to the dark side - but I still believe in him.

As Jamsque said he knows how to make the most of what he has.

And he's simply awesome to watch - a real rider's rider

May 5, 2009
Visit site
oh guys... not again... not one single guy of the Top 25 in a GT or Classique has ever been clean... just a waste of time to discuss further... NO BIG RIDER/WINNER IS CLEAN, NOT A SINGLE ONE.

1 + 1 for all those who know what's going on and is possible with today's techniques and methods.

but it still needs hard work, talent, tactics, technique, form and luck to win.

viva il ciclismo

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
oh guys... not again... not one single guy of the Top 25 in a GT or Classique has ever been clean... just a waste of time to discuss further... NO BIG RIDER/WINNER IS CLEAN, NOT A SINGLE ONE.

1 + 1 for all those who know what's going on and is possible with today's techniques and methods.

but it still needs hard work, talent, tactics, technique, form and luck to win.

viva il ciclismo

So, "not one single guy of the Top 25 in a GT or Classique has ever been clean" - you mean they have been doping since birth? So the 26th guy is clean - WADA/UCI should just sanction the top 25 of all races and do away with testing, as this is easier, cheaper and quicker.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe after a big race there should be an automatically generated thread with the title "There's no way _______ is clean" with the race winners name inserted.

Might save a little effort and nobody would have to wait for someone to make the first post.

spalco said:
Actually I had the impression he thought he was over the line earlier than the actual line. I really didn't interpret that as taunting.

I interpreted it as a guy who can't believe his luck.

Then I thought: Lampre and Katusha under the cosh (Cunego [also crashed], Di Luca, Kolobnev), Bertie has to be careful, Gesink not showing, Schleck(s), Anton and Vino not sharp enough yet. RadioShack cool it for a day with Kloden 'cracking' in Trentino and only one in the top 20 here. Perhaps the stars were (mis)aligned ;)

That and Gilbert's uphill reputation and a very respectable palmarès to date. So there's maybe a bit of breathing space.

I expect a very mediocre summer, otherwise then I might think again. :)

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Philip Deignan+the other Irish guys are managed by Andrew McQuid not so sure about Gilbert..

TRENDING THREADS