• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is race radio being used by riders & teams during this Giro?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
thirteen said:
can you post the link?

and, yes, i think all of us that saw him on television afterwards knew... we just didn't want to believe.

saw it on RAI tv. I'll try and get a copy of it and scan it later and lets mods decide whether they want it posted.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Race radio has ZERO to do with this tragedy

Yes, but forbidding race radio would make this sport more chaotic, less predictable and therefore more dangerous.

And while race radio has nothing to do with this tragedy, the lack of race radio would definitely lead to future tragedies.

And that's exactly why race radio is so important for the safety of the riders.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Tornadin said:
Yes, but forbidding race radio would make this sport more chaotic, less predictable and therefore more dangerous.

And while race radio has nothing to do with this tragedy, the lack of race radio would definitely lead to future tragedies.

i disagree. Amateurs race over similar roads in Italy without radios and do not suffer fatalities.

As for radios on the race, see post #20.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tornadin said:

More chaotic, less predictable? Yes.

Neccessarily more dangerous? No.

There is NO evidence to support an assertion that more tragic accidents would occur without two way radio.

Two way radio is not important to rider 'safety' and I agree that race radio plays an important safety role.

There is a separate thread to discuss the merits of race radio.

Benotti69 said:
saw it on RAI tv. I'll try and get a copy of it and scan it later and lets mods decide whether they want it posted.
thank you. i'd appreciate that (if it is allowed).

i'm not sure that i can get to a news agent in time that may have this (and not sure that it wouldn't be sold out).

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thirteen said:
thank you. i'd appreciate that (if it is allowed).

i'm not sure that i can get to a news agent in time that may have this (and not sure that it wouldn't be sold out).

If i get it and it cant be posted we can exchange email address and i'll send it to you. But it's not photographic, it is a simple illustration and explains visually quite well what happened.

Benotti69 said:
If i get it and it cant be posted we can exchange email address and i'll send it to you. But it's not photographic, it is a simple illustration and explains visually quite well what happened.
thank you, again.

i sent my boyfriend out to look and they were out of ALL the sports papers... (i'm in Ghent, so what did i expect?)

Benotti69 said:
i disagree. Amateurs race over similar roads in Italy without radios and do not suffer fatalities.

As for radios on the race, see post #20.

Thomas Casarotto, Giro del Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, September 2010.
And there was another death in the spring of 2009 or 2010, can't remember the name.

Death is not such a clear-cut issue, actually. People have been resuscitated long after it stopped making sense for their hearts to beat again. It's just that Weylandt's injuries were too severe and there was nothing the doctors could do for him. Whether he died on the spot is a largely academic matter.

hrotha said:
Death is not such a clear-cut issue, actually. People have been resuscitated long after it stopped making sense for their hearts to beat again. It's just that Weylandt's injuries were too severe and there was nothing the doctors could do for him. Whether he died on the spot is a largely academic matter.
they're reporting that it was instantaneous, and i'd like to think it was so.

thirteen said:
they're reporting that it was instantaneous, and i'd like to think it was so.
Yeah, I mean, he most likely suffered irreversible brain injuries instantaneously and it was impossible to resuscitate him, but still "death" is fairly hard to define, legally. The point at which resuscitation attempts end and someone's time of death is certified is pretty random.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
python said:
popovich said yesterday that a teammate was 2-3 seconds behind and (sadly and tragically) saw a lifeless face as he passed.

was Cardozo... later He was interrogated by the Police...
Well... was a really hard image to see... my little sister just scream when She saw it... when I saw it I just knew it and inmediatly thought that He broke the base of his skull... :(

TRENDING THREADS