• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Steve Hogg the best bike fitter on the planet?

Who is Steve Hogg? The dude can do a superman pushup and writes articles for CN. I dont know anyone that has fitted more worldclass riders, amputees, recumbants etc and all with a money back guarantee.

This is his site. http://www.cyclefitcentre.com

Ive been fitted up by Steve and have a lot of good things to say. My comfort and performance has increased but more importantly my injuries have chilled. He introduced me to the midfoot cleat position and I gotta say I went from skeptical to evangelical. He also showed me the importance of my off the bike lifestyle in regards to posture, relaxed breathing, stretching etc.

I know a lot of crew give Hogg a bit of flack but none of them seem to openly offer a money back guarantee like he does.

So who else here has anyone they like in the bike fitting scene? Please share your experiences and who you recommend in your area. Im a big believer that if more people got set up right on bikes, more people would ride em! :) Ive got mates that ride the most bling bikes, train their asses off but when you look at their set up, you know they could improve it a lot.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Steve
isnt superman He is a bike shop owner he listens and watches and sets the indevidual bike the way you need it for what you want it for at whatever level you are at.

There are many of these around but they have their own expert opinion and dont want to listen to anyone else ex= unknown quantity spurt = drip under presure,

It is indevidual and personal not same thing for everyone.as some think

Dont want too many like steve its hard enough compeeting now.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The owner of the bike store where I got my latest bike from set me up, but I'm soon going in to get my position re-evaluated with my old cycling coach. I'm riding a 57cm rather then a 58 cm (Orbea for some reason do everything in 3cm increments, and a 60cm frame would be too big).

I really cbf flying down to Sydney though.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
Who is Steve Hogg? The dude can do a superman pushup and writes articles for CN. I dont know anyone that has fitted more worldclass riders, amputees, recumbants etc and all with a money back guarantee.

This is his site. http://www.cyclefitcentre.com

Ive been fitted up by Steve and have a lot of good things to say. My comfort and performance has increased but more importantly my injuries have chilled. He introduced me to the midfoot cleat position and I gotta say I went from skeptical to evangelical. He also showed me the importance of my off the bike lifestyle in regards to posture, relaxed breathing, stretching etc.

I know a lot of crew give Hogg a bit of flack but none of them seem to openly offer a money back guarantee like he does.

So who else here has anyone they like in the bike fitting scene? Please share your experiences and who you recommend in your area. Im a big believer that if more people got set up right on bikes, more people would ride em! :) Ive got mates that ride the most bling bikes, train their asses off but when you look at their set up, you know they could improve it a lot.

What is a Sham-WOW? It's the best clean-up tool in the world. It's a chamois that's made in Germany, holds 12 times it's own weight in water, and comes with a money back guarantee.

This is the site https://www.shamwow.com/

I've use the Sham-WOW and have a lot of good things to say. My cleaning time has been cut in half, and more importantly I'm not wasting any paper towels....

You could give VInce a run for his money.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Current riders that Steve has positioned include Davitamon-Lotto's Nick Gates, Discovery's Hayden Roulston, National Road Series champion, Jessica Ridder and National and State Time Trial champion, Peter Milostic.

Might want to update their website.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Current riders that Steve has positioned include Davitamon-Lotto's Nick Gates, Discovery's Hayden Roulston, National Road Series champion, Jessica Ridder and National and State Time Trial champion, Peter Milostic.

Might want to update their website.

Not the only bit that needs updating...from the Cyclefit page:

"We hope to be able to announce some revolutionary new Australian designed equipment to aid in testing, both for output and positioning in November/December 2006"

Steve, maybe time to spend a couple of moments updating your own web page?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
My vote would be Andy Pruitt.

I read his book cover to cover three times and basically did my own fit with help from wife getting video footage from various angles and measuring limb angles on screen,etc. I think I have it pretty much bang on after about 5 hours of work spread over a few sessions.

Plenty of places around here charge $300 to $400 for what I did myself.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
My vote would be Andy Pruitt.

I read his book cover to cover three times and basically did my own fit with help from wife getting video footage from various angles and measuring limb angles on screen,etc. I think I have it pretty much bang on after about 5 hours of work spread over a few sessions.

Plenty of places around here charge $300 to $400 for what I did myself.

How much did your wife charge?;)

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have heard great things about many a fitter and have been to quite a few. I personally feel they get you close (as in less than a centimeter) but only your time on the bike will get you within the millimeters of perfect.

That being said sometimes a fitter will get you to try a new position on the bike that works for you. Even though it is a centi versus a milli adjustment. An open mind to change is always good.:p But no one is the best for everyone.

Andy Pruitt

Both Mrs. Ciocc and I have been fit by Andy Pruitt and I have to say that he is the best.

My position after 20+ years was pretty dialed in (he raised my saddle 5mm and added 1mm shims to both cleats - that's it) but my wife was the miracle.

Her position was jacked up and was keeping her from enjoying riding and limiting her mileage. Andy made major changes in her position and got her on a different saddle and the difference was amazing. She says the bike fits her like a glove now.

All this after several attempts by LBS "expert" fitters. Save your money and go to Boulder...

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
Who is Steve Hogg? The dude can do a superman pushup...
I don't think you'll ever get much consensus about who is the "best" at anything. I'm sure he's very good but more importantly - I had to google superman pushups and after doing a few I can tell you they let me know how much core strength I've lost. So thanks to Steve for that if nothing else, now I know to work on it.

TRENDING THREADS