• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is the Armstrong versus Contador "rivalry" a myth?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
No, being Polish is a bad thing.

Edit: Not the nationality, but the individual who has insulted Poles everywhere by choosing that user name.

Well said...what a bunch of douchbaggery from Polish!

thehog said:
Agreed.

Some more but not the entire article - the last comment rocks my world:

None of the eight Astana riders that you won the Tour with are staying with you. Does that mean anything?

That we only started to make the team in December, and from zero, and that I couldn’t carry the responsibility that the eight people depended on me for until so late. I understand that they’ve gone.

It’s very different to be a new team as of August. For example, we’ve just gotten the radios, which they’re riding without in Australia in the Tour Down Under, nor do they have the blue bicycles, they have the first ones that Specialized gave us, the ones from training. I couldn’t even be sure about leaving or about staying at Astana, while Bruyneel and Armstrong had already been contracting since August.

Did you ask any rider to wait, then?

No, I didn’t ask any rider to wait.

Physically, how do you feel going into 2010?

Stronger even than last year. The data from training says so.

Have you changed anything in your preparation, or is it that you continue growing?

Each time I’m more of a perfectionist. But the key is always training.

And always thinking about the same thing?

All my life I’ll try to keep winning the Tour.

But you’ve already won two. Isn’t it complicated to find motivation when you’ve already achieved your dream?

Each time, I enjoy being a cyclist more. The motivation is enormous, and as long as I’m maintaining the physical level that allows me to aspire to it all, I’ll keep being a rider.

To aspire to everything and in all the races. You’re one of those cyclists that wants to win everything he rides…

I don’t like that theory of training for the bib number. When I go to a race, I always go to try to be in front. Whether I win or not, we’ll see.

They say that you’re so superior to all the other cyclists that you’ll be able to lose up to 10 minutes on the pavé in the Tour and it won’t matter, because in the mountains you can take half an hour from anybody…

In the Tour I want a calm race, not one like that. Reaching the mountains in front and staying in front. The main rival will be Andy Schleck, who’s a very good friend besides and a very good person. He’s the strongest, the one who complicated my life the most last year. And then, a few others, and Armstrong, obviously.

Do you think that if you want to win a lot of Tours you’ll have to calculate and try to win by the minimum, not by a rout?

Some things can’t be calculated, it’s not all that easy.

You’ve always said that you’ll never stop being a person to be a celebrity. Isn’t it more difficult each time to keep that promise?

It’s not about choosing between being a benchmark or a person. It’s possible to be both things, both aspects can exist side by side in the personality.

It’s true that I’m not into Twitter or Facebook, like so many of my colleagues, because I believe that it’s a way to lose privacy, but the sponsors require it to a certain extent. So I’ll enter that world, but in a very moderate way. I’ll never put on my Twitter page, for example, that I’m with my fiancée at the movies…

Nevertheless, all the myths in sports have also been unique personalities.

But you can be a myth and be a quiet person, an ordinary man. Look at Induráin, the whole world admires him, everything that he’s won, and he lives a very quiet life.

Is it about being like Induráin, then?

No, it’s about being yourself.

Wow, I may be becoming a Contador fanboy! But seriously, he does seem to have his head screwed on straight and retain quite a lot of humility for a great sporting champion.

As to the rivalry, I am quite sure it was real at least at The Tour this past summer. The media of course has blown it up into something gigantic because it makes money for all involved.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Bravo!!!! Didn't think anyone could take such a humble statement and turn into evidence of egomania, but you proved me wrong. Just being yourself is now a bad thing! Thanks Polish :rolleyes:

LOL, what brilliant hypocrisy LOL

Interesting interview though.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Wow, I may be becoming a Contador fanboy! But seriously, he does seem to have his head screwed on straight and retain quite a lot of humility for a great sporting champion.

As to the rivalry, I am quite sure it was real at least at The Tour this past summer. The media of course has blown it up into something gigantic because it makes money for all involved.

Yes and it's blown out of proportion on this site too. who's at fault for this? the media or Armstrong?
The thing we all want to know is what really happened? take away the media hype and tell me whats left?

The latest comments from Armstrong leaves no doubt that he has a certain interest in this media hype so he is defintely playing the game.
The funny thing is that you simply can't ignore all of the media hype now that we know this. In some way it has become part of their rivalry.

What about the Vuelta 2008. I think Contador complained that levi didn't provide sufficient support in the mountains.
Imaging what kind of media hype this would have generated had it been Armstrong instead of Leipheimer?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
No, being Polish is a bad thing.

Edit: Not the nationality, but the individual who has insulted Poles everywhere by choosing that user name.

Hugh, this is a Sports forum - not a conference room at the United Nations.

You know, a Sports Forum...your team sucks. My team is better.

This is a thread about the "Armstrong vs Contador" rivalry.
It is appropriate to pick a side.

If it turns out, as in this case, that my team is better than yours,
take it like a sports fan and not a Hugh Januss:)

vino4ever.jpg

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
What about the Vuelta 2008. I think Contador complained that levi didn't provide sufficient support in the mountains.
Imaging what kind of media hype this would have generated had it been Armstrong instead of Leipheimer?

I can remember three 'incidents' linking Contador and Levi in the Vuelta 2008.
Contador complained that Levi only lost about one minute at the Angliru.
The day after the Angliru, Mosquera attacked in the climb to the stage finish at the ski resort of Fuentes de Invierno and Contador followed sucking Mosquera's wheel until the last kilometer when he accelerated to get the stage win. Alvaro Pino (Mosquera's DS) complained about Contador's attitude and he gave the lame excuse that he saw Levi coming back at the front of the stage and he wanted to increase the gap because Levi was a serious contender.
The last 'incident' was after the ITT up to Navacerrada the second last day. Levi won the stage, and Contador somehow complained because Levi's superb performance put in danger his victory in the GC.
Yes, it's not difficult to imagine what would have happened if Armstrong had taken a stage win. And I'm not very sure about Contador not being egoistic :cool:

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Information

skidmark said:
Wow yeah, thanks for that interview. I've never read much with Contador other then reflections on races, but this gives a good picture of his deeper mindset. I've never really liked him, but that interview swayed me more in the 'like' direction. He certainly seems down to earth, or at least if he's arrogant, he keeps it to himself. It's refreshing, and seems to debunk the 'King of Spain' image that Armstrong was trying to paint.

If you like to read more about Contador take a look at http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info :)

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you can compare the rivalry between Federer and Nadal to this one. Federer has perfect tennis and Rafa has perfect altitude in my eyes.
And otherwise is also possible
And they have a lot of respect for each other. Especially personally.
And yes their rivalry is kind of a myth.

The rivalry between lance livestrong and Conta isn't.

icefire said:
The day after the Angliru, Mosquera attacked in the climb to the stage finish at the ski resort of Fuentes de Invierno and Contador followed sucking Mosquera's wheel until the last kilometer when he accelerated to get the stage win. Alvaro Pino (Mosquera's DS) complained about Contador's attitude and he gave the lame excuse that he saw Levi coming back at the front of the stage and he wanted to increase the gap because Levi was a serious contender.
The last 'incident' was after the ITT up to Navacerrada the second last day. Levi won the stage, and Contador somehow complained because Levi's superb performance put in danger his victory in the GC.
Yes, it's not difficult to imagine what would have happened if Armstrong had taken a stage win. And I'm not very sure about Contador not being egoistic :cool:

Indeed it was "rivalry" between AC & LL in the 08 Vuelta-but this one was "while in competition" & "on the rode"-not before the Vuelta or during training, with no word battles prior to it, and never reached the level of nastiness used by LA/JB to f*ck AC like this year's.-(not to my knowledge ever heard of AC getting better wheels than Levi for the race, or being left behind in the hotel without a ride in the last ITT)
Overall AC comments about LL's performance was in self defense, considering he was the "sole" Leader "since the beginning of the race"- and Levi almost spoiled his victory at the last ITT- but wasn't an offensive one- he said it was odd to have your team mate finishing so close, and had the ITT had more km Levi surely had won the Vuelta.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:

Thanks for reminding me. You have a very good memory.
Back then Contador didn't have to restrain him self in front of journalists. In a way you could say, that he has been hiding his true character ever since Armstrong returned.

I can hardly imaging how ****ed off Contador would be, if he spoke right from his heart, considering all that bs coming towards him.
Contador's silence regarding this, is indeed a very clever PR strategy, but my god he must be furious on the inside.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Thanks for reminding me. You have a very good memory.
Back then Contador didn't have to restrain him self in front of journalists. In a way you could say, that he has been hiding his true character ever since Armstrong returned.

I can hardly imaging how ****ed off Contador would be, if he spoke right from his heart, considering all that bs coming towards him.
Contador's silence regarding this, is indeed a very clever PR strategy, but my god he must be furious on the inside.

I remember those incidents also! Alberto was a REAL turd:(
Was that before or after Levi let him win the Vuelta?
I also agree Alberto must be furious on the inside regarding Lance, but he is keeping it all bottled up inside. Not Healthy!
He has a lot to learn.

Here is what Contador actually said after the Angliru stage:
"I was targeting this climb. It's the most mythical climb in Spain," said Contador following his victory. "It was a spectacle with all the fans... and I think Levi did great as well."
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/vuelta08/?id=results/vuelta0813

This is what Contador said after Invierno:
"We talked with the team car and they told us to go take the opportunity." Contador didn't think there was a problem. "Mosquera just wanted to ride and take time out of his rivals. He needed to gain time to get closer to the podium and that's what he did." "If the team of Mosquera is a bit upset, it is not too much, because they wanted to take time out of his rivals, and that's what they did." "I am not surprised about Mosquera. He is a great rider and today he has demonstrated that."
http://fry.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/sep08/sep15news

Methinks the Armstrong chamois-lickers are engaging in quite a bit of revisionist history. Guys if you could just keep from making things up that would be great, thanks.

Polish said:
I remember those incidents also! Alberto was a REAL turd:(
Was that before or after Levi let him win the Vuelta?
I also agree Alberto must be furious on the inside regarding Lance, but he is keeping it all bottled up inside. Not Healthy!
He has a lot to learn.

Look, we get it: you LOVE Lancy-pants and you HATE Contador. Point taken. You've made it quite clearly, many many many times now. Can you talk about anything else now?

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
i think it's media hype - i saw Lance riding upfront for Contador in last years TDF.

as for Lance's form - McEwen was impressed with his legs. Willunga Hill can be put down to too much work on the previous stage. Seeing him for myself, he still seems strong - but not explosive. He won't match the pure climbers, but you can't underestimate knowledge.

mcEwen = another has been with a big mouth.

ed rader

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Bravo!!!! Didn't think anyone could take such a humble statement and turn into evidence of egomania, but you proved me wrong. Just being yourself is now a bad thing! Thanks Polish :rolleyes:

Armstrong made similar comment early in his career. it's not about trying to be someone else. It's about being you and doing things the way you feel comfortable. people have tryed to emulate armstrong in his race program but for a lot of those riders it hasn't worked.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Look, we get it: you LOVE Lancy-pants and you HATE Contador. Point taken. You've made it quite clearly, many many many times now. Can you talk about anything else now?

Pinto Pinto Pinto

Can I talk about anything else?
C'mon - it is only January....Alberto has not even raced yet...
Alberto still thinks Astana is HIS team....Alberto is now tweeting!
I suggest you put me on "Ignore"

Pinto Pinto Pinto
Bang Bang

ALEXANDRE_VINOKOUROV_gallery__275x4.jpg

ACsnarl-1.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Indeed it was "rivalry" between AC & LL in the 08 Vuelta-but this one was "while in competition" & "on the rode"-not before the Vuelta or during training, with no word battles prior to it, and never reached the level of nastiness used by LA/JB to f*ck AC like this year's.-(not to my knowledge ever heard of AC getting better wheels than Levi for the race, or being left behind in the hotel without a ride in the last ITT)
Overall AC comments about LL's performance was in self defense, considering he was the "sole" Leader "since the beginning of the race"- and Levi almost spoiled his victory at the last ITT- but wasn't an offensive one- he said it was odd to have your team mate finishing so close, and had the ITT had more km Levi surely had won the Vuelta.

I totally agree.

BikeCentric said:
"I was targeting this climb. It's the most mythical climb in Spain," said Contador following his victory. "It was a spectacle with all the fans... and I think Levi did great as well."

"We talked with the team car and they told us to go take the opportunity." Contador didn't think there was a problem. "Mosquera just wanted to ride and take time out of his rivals. He needed to gain time to get closer to the podium and that's what he did." "If the team of Mosquera is a bit upset, it is not too much, because they wanted to take time out of his rivals, and that's what they did." "I am not surprised about Mosquera. He is a great rider and today he has demonstrated that."

Maybe this "rivalry" between LL and AC has been blown out of proportion, unintentionally on my part, however this

BikeCentric said:
Methinks the Armstrong chamois-lickers are engaging in quite a bit of revisionist history. Guys if you could just keep from making things up that would be great, thanks.

Is a bit inappropriate. With a great source in hand I can see why you disagree with icefire's perception.
I can't answer on behalf of icefire, but for me this forum should allow people to bring up stories from memory once in a while. If the story appears to contain factual errors, then please illuminate us, but I hate it when it's suggested, that I (or somebody else for that matter) am taking part in this rivalry.

I can't see why talking about what happened during the Vuelta 08 (to some extent based on incorrect facts I will admit) has anything to do with revisionist of history?

I understand that this topic involves strong opinions, but some of us are actually able to talk about this, without indulging to revisionist of history.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:

Thanks for refreshing my memory with those links. Just a few comments:

CN article does not report what Alvaro Pino told on the radio just after the stage finish in Fuentes de Invierno. He talked directly to Contador at the finish line about his behaviour sucking Mosquera's wheel and attacking in the last km. Contador replied that he just wanted to increase the gap with Levi (there was a time bonus at the finish). That could have been true or just an excuse to dismiss Pino's complains. Either way, it's not in line with the image of good-boy that most people seems to have about Alberto and Pino's reference to Indurain points in that way.

Rivalry between Contador and Levi was limited to the road, but Contador was not enthusiastic about Levi being that close in the GC and was always suspicious that he preserved some of his forces to try for an overall win. Just go at the end of the following article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=3604414

Pinpointing some dark spots in Contador's behaviour doesn't make one a chamois-licker of anyone else. :cool:

icefire said:
Thanks for refreshing my memory with those links. Just a few comments:

CN article does not report what Alvaro Pino told on the radio just after the stage finish in Fuentes de Invierno. He talked directly to Contador at the finish line about his behaviour sucking Mosquera's wheel and attacking in the last km. Contador replied that he just wanted to increase the gap with Levi (there was a time bonus at the finish). That could have been true or just an excuse to dismiss Pino's complains. Either way, it's not in line with the image of good-boy that most people seems to have about Alberto and Pino's reference to Indurain points in that way.

Rivalry between Contador and Levi was limited to the road, but Contador was not enthusiastic about Levi being that close in the GC and was always suspicious that he preserved some of his forces to try for an overall win. Just go at the end of the following article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=3604414

Pinpointing some dark spots in Contador's behaviour doesn't make one a chamois-licker of anyone else. :cool:

Frankly, I think this is more of an interpretation issue since they don't quote AC as saying that he got no help from Levi. It reads like a conclusion being drawn by the journalist (which isn't really supported by the quoted language from AC). It would be helpful if there was a transcript that the journalist could point to as evidence that he said he got no help from Levi.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The reporter asked who is the biggest wheel-sucker, Leipheimer or Cadel Evans?

“Uff, mmm, the truth is, I wouldn’t know what to say …,” Contador said, leaving it with a smile.

Admittedly a tough question - but c'mon, one of the guys is your team mate!

some more comments from that 2008 Vuelta...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/09/road/contador-hesitant-to-ride-with-armstrong_83526

But those are not the comments that I was remembering...
It was during the 2008 Giro....Alberto made some negative comments about how hard Levi was working. Again, they may have been warranted (but they weren't) though they came across as really really whiny. Crappy "Leadership".
Still think Levi "gifted" the 2008 Vuelta to Alberto...Levi should have won.
And Rasmussen should have won the 2007 TdF.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Admittedly a tough question - but c'mon, one of the guys is your team mate!

some more comments from that 2008 Vuelta...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/09/road/contador-hesitant-to-ride-with-armstrong_83526

But those are not the comments that I was remembering...
It was during the 2008 Giro....Alberto made some negative comments about how hard Levi was working. Again, they may have been warranted (but they weren't) though they came across as really really whiny. Crappy "Leadership".
Still think Levi "gifted" the 2008 Vuelta to Alberto...Levi should have won.
And Rasmussen should have won the 2007 TdF.

just want to point out people do mature with experience........and if Levi should have won the vuelta, exactly why didnt he?

TRENDING THREADS