• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is the Tour de France harder then the Giro d'Italia?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
A non Lance - Landis thread in the Clinic :eek:

But in all seriousness, how much harder is the Tour compared to the Giro, or is it the other way around? I ask because, even though the Giro has a a tougher course (week 3 of this year Giro proved that AZ is sadistic) compared to the Tour, and is usually more exciting as a viewer, the pace doesn't seem to be as fast, nor the field to be as strong as the Tour.

But looking at last night's stage where Kloden, Vino, Kiryienka, and Hesjedal, broke away from the main break of the stage, and despite only ever being up to 40 seconds, a chasing break of 12 riders, as hard as they tried, couldn't bridge the gap, and when looking at the back of the peloton, at the rear end, it was stretched out and Cav had a worried look on his face, he was hurting big time. Samuel Dumoulin didn't start because he was simply too tired and had to go home and give the bike a rest for a bit so he can recover (either that, or he is clean). As well as Dumoulin dropping out due to fatigue, the commentators have mentioned several times how tired the peloton is and how everybody is struggling ATM. Not sure about truth there is too it, or any indication that the peloton is becoming cleaner (I still think the top guys have some sort of program), but Saxo Bank were struggling at times and really had to turn themselves out to bring back the break, as well as the assistance of Cervelo and Omega Pharma - Lotto.

So while the Giro has a tougher course, but is the Tour actually harder?

A

Anonymous

Giro was a harder race, but the tour is harder because the riders have all had to seriously cut back their doping because of the afld and wada being everywhere.

Ferminal said:
Tour is harder because of the field, Contador and Schleck would've destroyed the Giro.

Depending on how was their form. I would agree that, in theory, the Tour champion is the best racer. However to be that good at the Giro and the Tour is a feat only a select few have ever achieved.

It isn't automatic that the Tour champ would just "destroy" the Giro. The history of the sport has demonstrated exactly to the contrary. Indeed many Tour champions have found tackling the Giro quite daunting.

poupou said:
TDF is harder because the speed is higher at each stage.

say what.

That stage 2 days ago when paulinho won had an average speed of 40km/h. That brought down the average speed of the tour by quite a bit, and it wasnt even the only slow stage of the tour. No way is the average speed of the tour faster than the giro after that.

The peloton was about as fast on a hilly ish stage as the autobus was up the Mortirolo.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the top competitors all being there as well as the 'super bowl of cycle racing' aspect puts a huge amount more pressure on the competition. Whether or not the individual stages are more difficult is a separate subject.

Like it or not. The tdf is 'The Big One'. And that isn't going to change.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Tour is harder because it's more competitive.

In terms of $$, a TdF stage win >> Giro stage win, yellow >> pink, etc.

Except maybe for Italian riders.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
They have been looking really worn out. I think the scorching heat is a major factor. Some of the big, strong guys in particular seem weaker than I would have expected. Maybe they really aren't using their usual 'recovery' treatments which would help even more in the heat?

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
say what.

That stage 2 days ago when paulinho won had an average speed of 40km/h. That brought down the average speed of the tour by quite a bit, and it wasnt even the only slow stage of the tour. No way is the average speed of the tour faster than the giro after that.

The peloton was about as fast on a hilly ish stage as the autobus was up the Mortirolo.

Mate, you have to factor in the heat... In the Giro the mountain passes have just opened up and there's still snow about... The Tour is a different level.