• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this a lie of ommision or commision

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Could you transcribe the important parts? I have a really tough time understanding it with all the background noise, but I am curious as to what you think is corious :D

Big GMaC said:
God he is terrible at lying

It's even better when you go further back in time - when he hadn't tried it as much.

The tour press conference from 99 where he says he's not doping is genius! He's looks sooooo ill at ease and covers his face with his hand half the time - pure gold!

Ney the Viking said:
Could you transcribe the important parts? I have a really tough time understanding it with all the background noise, but I am curious as to what you think is corious :D

The important bit is not that difficult to get hold of:

Journo: "So, Lance, you never paid the UCI any money?"
LA (laughs, shrugs): "Absolutely not..... No...... And that's the other thing blah-blah (Lance now changes subject to emails and people involved)"

So, I guess is because he's just so generous that he forgets he ever donated anything (whether it be 25k, 100k or 500k). What a nice bloke...

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. So the guy took the question as if he bribed them which i can understand. He donated money to the UCI he didnt pay them, paying insinuates recieving something in return, which Lance obviusly doesn't want it to be considered. I am sure if he had said yes someone would get a meaning out of that as well.
Compared to a lot of the other interesting stuff posted in here, this is a bit of a storm in a bucket to me :)

Ney the Viking said:
Thanks. So the guy took the question as if he bribed them which i can understand. He donated money to the UCI he didnt pay them, paying insinuates recieving something in return, which Lance obviusly doesn't want it to be considered. I am sure if he had said yes someone would get a meaning out of that as well.
Compared to a lot of the other interesting stuff posted in here, this is a bit of a storm in a bucket to me :)

Oh yeah, as if he would stand there and in a split second in an interview (where he's supposedly actually trying to clear his name) make that differentiation - and think "the question is clearly about bribes only and I am not to take the term "payment" generally, so I'll refrain from clearly stating I donated but never bribed..."

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Ney the Viking said:
He donated money to the UCI he didnt pay them, paying insinuates recieving something in return, which Lance obviusly doesn't want it to be considered.

You're still calling it "donated money"? C'mon, even Patty McQuaid admitted to the press that no other cyclist IN HISTORY had ever made "a donation" to the UCI. Just Mr. 7-Time.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
You're still calling it "donated money"? C'mon, even Patty McQuaid admitted to the press that no other cyclist IN HISTORY had ever made "a donation" to the UCI. Just Mr. 7-Time.

Well unless someone finds proof that the money actually resolved in favours, then yes. Even though its extremely suspicious, especially considering McQaucks and Pharmstrongs changing stories about the matter.

But as long as the rest of the cycling word stands ildly by and does nothing to get McQuaid off the throne and clean the UCI (which technically ought to represent the riders and their interests, right?) I will have to accept is as a donation, because thats what all the other riders do. It's just a crying shame.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
It's even better when you go further back in time - when he hadn't tried it as much.

The tour press conference from 99 where he says he's not doping is genius! He's looks sooooo ill at ease and covers his face with his hand half the time - pure gold!

have you got a link to this, (not doubting you, just want to see it ;) )

lancaster said:

I knew someone would ask as soon as I wrote it, so I almost didn't put it there... Don't have a link handy as I saw it on the Lance DVD entitled something along the lines of "7 in a row". But surely there must be something out there in the virtual world and as I brought it up there's no doubt the burden to find it rests with me... Stay tuned!

Ney the Viking said:
Well unless someone finds proof that the money actually resolved in favours, then yes. Even though its extremely suspicious, especially considering McQaucks and Pharmstrongs changing stories about the matter.

But as long as the rest of the cycling word stands ildly by and does nothing to get McQuaid off the throne and clean the UCI (which technically ought to represent the riders and their interests, right?) I will have to accept is as a donation, because thats what all the other riders do. It's just a crying shame.

Your post is fair. Although CyclngWeekly magazine took the trip to Switzerland to view the receipt for the blood machine. They were not allowed to hold it, photograph or look at it closely. It was shown from a distance as proof that the UCI had a receipt(!). They couldn’t see the amount, date of purchase or any other such details. Right you are just need some smart buck to leak the information or the federations to vote out McQuaid. Sadly national federations see their funding cut the minute they support a different nominee. Reference to Germany and Sylvia Shleck.

Ney the Viking said:

You don't have to accept anything - Yes, the smoking gun isn't there, which is why we're in a "crying shame" situation. Luckily we're all free to make up our own mind and decide what we believe - seems to me you don't buy it either - so don't :)

thehog said:
Your post is fair. Although CyclngWeekly magazine took the trip to Switzerland to view the receipt for the blood machine. They were not allowed to hold it, photograph or look at it closely. It was shown from a distance as proof that the UCI had a receipt(!). They couldn’t see the amount, date of purchase or any other such details. Right you are just need some smart buck to leak the information or the federations to vote out McQuaid. Sadly national federations see their funding cut the minute they support a different nominee. Reference to Germany and Sylvia Shleck.

That's just ridiculous! He invites people to come see it - but they can do so if they can snatch it out of his hands! What is this - a school playground?

JPM London said:

lancaster said:

Well, memory always serve better than the real thing... Have to correct my earlier statement a bit: He wasn't "covering his face half the time". What he did do was fidget... First the overarm... then his chin... then his eye. All the while speaking at a higher pitch - all signs that he was very uncomfy.
Best part is that he's unable to deny anything outright - all he's capable of doing is stating that "nobody's found anything"

Anyway, the clip's here - just jump to 4:25. If you start at 4:20 you also get a snippet of a juicy interview after a stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4p3TxmVRno&feature=related

Someone help me out here. Weren't Lance and the whole USPS team the center of a concerted investigation by all the respective French authorities. Didn't they have French police watching them all the time, have their luggage searched, all the hotel room trash searched and didn't this go on for several years?

I find it hard to believe a cycling team could out-smart the French govt. So, Lance & Co. have outsmarted all the respective governments and journalists for a decade and were able to buy off the UCI with $100k?

I believe in the free market. ****, a person can make $500k with a single picture of Britney Spears going topless, but there's no one out there to buy off? Surely if there was something to be found the evidence would surface. I would think that by now the right amount of money would have been thrown at the - doctor, mechanic, soigneur, teammate, etc, etc.......

Omerta be damned, the money is probably there if the proof was.

Okay, flame on.... ;)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
joe1265 said:
Someone help me out here. Weren't Lance and the whole USPS team the center of a concerted investigation by all the respective French authorities. Didn't they have French police watching them all the time, have their luggage searched, all the hotel room trash searched and didn't this go on for several years?

I find it hard to believe a cycling team could out-smart the French govt. So, Lance & Co. have outsmarted all the respective governments and journalists for a decade and were able to buy off the UCI with $100k?

I believe in the free market. ****, a person can make $500k with a single picture of Britney Spears going topless, but there's no one out there to buy off? Surely if there was something to be found the evidence would surface. I would think that by now the right amount of money would have been thrown at the - doctor, mechanic, soigneur, teammate, etc, etc.......

Omerta be damned, the money is probably there if the proof was.

Okay, flame on.... ;)

I will help you out. Simple answer is no.

joe1265 said:
Weren't Lance and the whole USPS team the center of a concerted investigation by all the respective French authorities.
No.

joe1265 said:
Didn't they have French police watching them all the time
No.
joe1265 said:
have their luggage searched.
No.
joe1265 said:
all the hotel room trash searched and didn't this go on for several years?
No.

Ok, troll on...

No?

Why not?

If EVERYONE "knew" Lance and Co were doping, why no early morning/late night AFDL raids? Seemed like the French authorities would simply let them walk all over Lance, "what you have no search warrant, what the heck go to town..."

Did Lance have all the French police bought off?

Why no journos slipping a 5 Euros to the housekeeping staff to gather all Lance's trash? Why no journos posing as housekeeping staff???

If not, then Lance and Co get my vote for the smartest guys ever....!

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
joe1265 said:
No?

Why not?

If EVERYONE "knew" Lance and Co were doping, why no early morning/late night AFDL raids? Seemed like the French authorities would simply let them walk all over Lance, "what you have no search warrant, what the heck go to town..."

Wait, what, you propose that the Frencht authorites would break human rights?

Do you understand that France is a civilized state, with a better human rights track record than for example the US. The ECHR would never allow them to use the evidence gathered this way