• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this as good as it gets?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
As for Kohl displaying irregular values, that too, it bollox.
Lotto signed Kohl after the Tour on the basis that, having studied his blood values, they looked fine and normal.

Actually, that's just Lotto's spin on it... could be true, also could be that they were just looking for somebody with exceptionally good blood values and potential results who also was good enough at their program to not be tested positive. Not being cynical of course, but nonetheless...

I thought that Kohl and Schumacher *were* indeed targeted because of their BP values - am I wrong?

I believe, at the time, all the podium placers were targetted, plus stage winners.
Both also fall into that catagory.
There was huge speculation, much of it directed at Saxo's riders, at the time.
Never saw anything official, such as a list, though.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think they were targeted more dus to suspicious jumps in performance rather than anything on the blood passport.

In Schumachers case, a thick set rider with a background as a classics rider suddenly started winning TT's and climbing with the best. Unfortunately, as he hadn't just recovered from cancer and wasn't bringing millions of new fans and publicity to the sport he got targeted.

Kohl didn't really convince anyone either. However, at the time part of me wanted to believe that he was evidence of a cleaner peloton....that didn't work out!