• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this as good as it gets?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
Cheers.

Thanks to operation puerto, and big names like Vino getting busted for blood doping at last year's Tour during a test, teams just aren't going to risk it anymore. It's too high risk to carry big bags of blood through borders and all over the place through a tour, and testers can spot it now.

No, cycling is now cleaner than its ever been, which is why even a 38 year old can get on the podium. We can all just sit back and enjoy the spectacle and stop this speculation about who is cheating.

Great, huh?
Wow - you tried to bring in some 'facts' to a post.

The pity is Lance is 37 and Vino got popped in 2007.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Pat McQuaid comes off as a mafia boss who was just paid his protection money.
BPC comes off as a teenage fanboy who got mad at his older brother that told him Santa Claus was actually mom & dad. Either that, or more likely a troll who delights in setting off anyone here who even bothers reading his posts anymore. I am following TFF’s advice and putting him on ignore…..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The smoke rarely reaches the top of McQuaid's chimney.

Ok, that is extremely funny.

BroDeal said:
McQuaid is confirming that the fix is in and will be for years to come. The UCI and the ASO do not want any positives.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is true. Either McQuaid is mindblowingly stupid or he has decided that positive tests, suspensions of top cyclists, and long courts cases drawn out in the press are bad for business.

BanProCycling said:
We can all toast this news!

corvos_lance-armstrong.jpg

Also very funny, although I interpret this as irony.

Mongol_Waaijer said:
Why is there not a European Union anti doping authority, independent of all sports and individual nation states, and with jurisdiction to operate across the union.

A good suggestion, but I am again wearing my conspiracy hat and I think the big deterrent would be revealing doping in European football and opening a massive Pandora's box. Better to borrow McQuaid's blindfold and enjoy the profitable status quo.

BanProCycling said:
Cheers.

Thanks to operation puerto, and big names like Vino getting busted for blood doping at last year's Tour during a test, teams just aren't going to risk it anymore. It's too high risk to carry big bags of blood through borders and all over the place through a tour, and testers can spot it now.

No, cycling is now cleaner than its ever been, which is why even a 38 year old can get on the podium. We can all just sit back and enjoy the spectacle and stop this speculation about who is cheating.

Great, huh?

No they can't. Vino only got caught because for some mental reason he used someone else's blood. Still no test for one's own blood, which so happened to be Fuentes' expertise. So wrong again.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm compiling a handbook of soundbites guaranteed to erode confidence in the UCI, and reinforce the doping culture in cycling. Thanks to Pat McQuaid for this stellar contribution. I have edited my signature as a token of my appreciation.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
Yes blood doping from your own blood is not totally undetectable.

From Wikipedia(admittedly, not necessarily the best for information):

At present there is no accepted method for detecting autologous transfusions (that is, using the athlete’s own RBCs), but research is in progress and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has promised that a test will eventually be introduced.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The dopers know that they can work round the passport quite easily (Ashenden), present scores that get them signed by PT teams (Kohl) and continue their work unmolested by the UCI whose testers are quite happy to sit outside their tour bus (for the right type of brown envelope of course) sipping coffee with the management.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
The dopers know that they can work round the passport quite easily (Ashenden), present scores that get them signed by PT teams (Kohl) and continue their work unmolested by the UCI whose testers are quite happy to sit outside their tour bus (for the right type of brown envelope of course) sipping coffee with the management.

Basically, as long at their numbers don't change too much, they're fine. They have a blueprint for what their values should be and will dope accordingly. The dopers will always be one step ahead of the testers. That's just the way the system works. The only way to make doping go away is to take the advantage (the financial advantage) away.

BanProCycling said:
They can see from irregularities in your blood passport now anyway. You can't just blood dope yourself like crazy without raising red flags if you are a tiny bit off. The testing is getting better all the time - the dopers know that the authorities are just one step ahead so they won't take the risk.

Your trolling is getting more and more blatant. And as it has become more blatant, it is also even more transparent and boring. But knock yourself out.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
No the passport had only just been introduced when Kohl was busted, so that is not a good example - he wouldn't have lasted long, and he didn't last long. We know that EPO is now virtually unusable without getting busted, which is why it wasn't used this year.

I don't know why I bother and I really should hit the ignore button ... but the biological passport was in full swing when Kohl was busted and he was only busted because the AFLD did retrospective testing on CERA. Kohl used the biological passport to micromanage his profile. Furthermore, when the first (and subsequent) results of the biological passport were released the likes of Kohl and Schumacher were not on the list of "positive" riders, only some lesser riders some of whom had already been suspended by their teams.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
No the biological passport was only in play for a short period of time - it's highly doubtful they would have been able to fool it for any great length of time, and it's getting better and better at spotting cheats as every month passes. The test for CERA was still fairly new during that tour but there were already strong rumours surrounding Kohl and Schumacher's values during the race. That's partly why they were reexamined at a later date.

BS. Once again, your facts are lacking. I am surprised though you answered a direct question. Anyway, I think it is the ignore button for you. Bye bye.

rhubroma said:
The war against doping, like the so-called "war against drugs," is unwinable. McQuade knows this and cynically makes rediculous statements like this one to comfort the naive fan base, who are out of touch with reality, in order to make the fiction appear credible to them.

The conflict of interests inherent in the UCI's anti-doping programs, where the sport is placed in charge of auto-regulating itself, is as apalling as Washington allowing the Stock Market to do as much by placing those in charge of regulation, the same investment bankers whos stood to make the most money from a Wall Street without rules.

Whenever big money and human fame are involved, in athletics just as in the corporate and financial world, ethics goes out the door faster than Bolt's 100 meter world record.

Those with a critically thinking head on their shoulders know this. What is really distasteful, however, is the huge flock of sheep who think otherwise, for which, in the case of the cycling tifosi, someone like McQuade becomes thier pastor and Armstrong their pastoral god. While the rest of us are treated by them as if morons, who could be so easily deceived. All of which is a s sad as it is disgusting.

well put my friend.:cool:

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I have no patience for doping and wish a zero tolerance policy could be enacted. However, I also realize that this is exceptionally difficult, both from a scientific and legal point of view.

Coming from a business point of view, why not "clean" up cyclings image? Cycling is the dope sport, even though athletes in other sports are just as complicit. Why not let other sports do some crusading?

BanProCycling said:
No the biological passport was only in play for a short period of time - it's highly doubtful they would have been able to fool it for any great length of time, and it's getting better and better at spotting cheats as every month passes. The test for CERA was still fairly new during that tour but there were already strong rumours surrounding Kohl and Schumacher's values during the race. That's partly why they were reexamined at a later date.

As others have said, you are spouting rubbish.
The BP values were an age in the gathering and in place when the system was launched.
Only your chum, Armstrong, got a walk on the 6 month monitoring, prior to issue period.

As for Kohl displaying irregular values, that too, it bollox.
Lotto signed Kohl after the Tour on the basis that, having studied his blood values, they looked fine and normal.

Elapid tells it and you just disregard it.

No wonder folks are pressing their ignore buttons.