• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Digger said:
Couple of other things - he said he would get an expert to examine Wiggins' values - evidently he didn't bother.

Also he said something along the lines that there was no guarantee that Garmin riders would have told Wiggins about Lance, when Wiggins was there.

In the same conversation he said Landis should have known about Lance's doping when he entered USPostal.

Again it was just exasperating.

Just prior to the Giro in 2013 he said he'd get a full listing of TUEs and everything that Sky carry in their medicine kit.

He never followed up.

Also it's Landis that has made Walsh wealthy. Walsh is on his global world Tour pretending it was he who slayed the dragon.

I agree with the statement that he is more anti-Lance than anti-doping.

Walsh is more interesting in turning up at the US Master every year and writing about Tennis to have any real knowledge of cycling.

As for him tackling dopers. The only two he went after where Armstrong and Smith. The reasons where the same both times. There was a huge consensus amougthe average person that both where clean. No one in Ireland wanted to believe anything bad about the golden girl Michelle Smith ("sure didnt she get up and train at 6 in the morning").

Walsh's whole thing was proving the average person wrong. He even mentions getting into argument at airports with random yellow bracelet wearers.

The average person does not believe Froome is clean. Its only some fanatics on forums that truly believe that. Walsh doesn't care about that.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Some highlights from yesterday's Sunday Times piece

The team vowed not to employ a doctor from another cycling team but ignored their own rule when hiring Leinders and the Italian doctor Fabio Bartolucci.

a story that spoke of Leinders’ ethical standards. The team, said Peters, had decided they would not apply for TUEs to allow a rider to stay in a race but under pressure from a rider, another member of the medical staff had applied for a TUE to enable the rider to finish a race.

It was Leinders who rang Peters and complained about this decision, saying it was a breach of the team’s medical ethics.

what has happened to the team’s belief that TUEs should not be sought for riders in competition? Farrell says he was unaware this ethical position existed within the team. Froome says he never heard of it. But Peters has said it did exist at one point

Team Sky have chosen not to join the MPCC and are not governed by the movement’s rules on TUEs.

But here is the bit that is distinctly uncomfortable for Team Sky and Froome. The other four riders in the top five at the Tour of Romandie are all from MPCC teams and not one of them would have been allowed to apply for the therapeutic use exemption that Froome received.

Team Sky like to portray themselves as the most ethical team in the peloton.

The evidence says otherwise.

the sceptic said:
Leinders having ethical standards.. thats up there amongst the most ridiculous things Walsh has written.

Interesting what RR posted.

The idiocy of Walsh was he wrote with such conviction for the book 'Inside Sky' in regards to Sky's ethical stance on doping/TUEs etc.. What is now apparent is that either Sky were just telling him what he wanted to hear or he was too in love to notice that it was all just BS.

Walsh still misses the obvious. That Froome has no issues and neither does his team with taking dope in racing or training. For Froome to be presented by Walsh as "I don't know how I could be any cleaner" means again Froome/Cound or whomever have pulled the wool over Walsh's eyes. And worryingly he was all too willing to believe or at the bear minimum unwilling to fact check what Cound and Froome were telling him.

Walsh only has himself to blame. Obvious that both books are pure fiction and can't be trusted as any sort of resource on Sky and their supposed cleanliness.

What a debacle.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Leinders having ethical standards.. thats up there amongst the most ridiculous things Walsh has written.

Not really. Leinders obviously does have ethical standards, or do you actually think he doesn't try and keep athletes safe just because he has assisted/is assisting with doping?

Might even be a nice guy.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Not really. Leinders obviously does have ethical standards, or do you actually think he doesn't try and keep athletes safe just because he has assisted/is assisting with doping?

Might even be a nice guy.

thats what Fuentes claimed, right? That he was doing it for the good of the health of his 'patients' because it was physically impossible to be a pro cyclist otherwise?

elduggo said:
thats what Fuentes claimed, right? That he was doing it for the good of the health of his 'patients' because it was physically impossible to be a pro cyclist otherwise?

Well I guess like everything else, there are varying levels. Just look at US Postal. Pedro Celaya was far more moderate in handing out doping products than Del Moral, was that not the reason they got rid of Celaya.

Rijckaert the Festina doctor was known as Dr.Punto in reference to the Fiat car in comparison to Ferrari, because he was regarded as conservative.

I don't know if people switch jobs much but I know from personal experience, that not everywhere I have worked have had the same standards. I have seen things tolerated in some places that would not be accepted elsewhere. Very often it is the people at the top who set the standard and you have to work to those standards, not your own.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Well I guess like everything else, there are varying levels. Just look at US Postal. Pedro Celaya was far more moderate in handing out doping products than Del Moral, was that not the reason they got rid of Celaya.

Rijckaert the Festina doctor was known as Dr.Punto in reference to the Fiat car in comparison to Ferrari, because he was regarded as conservative.

I don't know if people switch jobs much but I know from personal experience, that not everywhere I have worked have had the same standards. I have seen things tolerated in some places that would not be accepted elsewhere. Very often it is the people at the top who set the standard and you have to work to those standards, not your own.

Didnt Leinders leave Rabo because they didnt want to run a team program anymore? Leinders becoming ethical while under Brailsfords wing fits the narrative Walsh is trying to spin.

the sceptic said:
Didnt Leinders leave Rabo because they didnt want to run a team program anymore? Leinders becoming ethical while under Brailsfords wing fits the narrative Walsh is trying to spin.

Well as I said, I think employees will work to the standards set for them especially if it is made clear that not doing so will have one result.

However that still doesn't explain why SKY signed Leinders in the first place when it contradicted their own policies.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Well as I said, I think employees will work to the standards set for them especially if it is made clear that not doing so will have one result.

However that still doesn't explain why SKY signed Leinders in the first place when it contradicted their own policies.

They hired him to compete in the arms race.
The bunch is back to its old tricks in broad daylight and Sky had to hire someone who knew how to compete at the highest level and bring results. Not difficult to understand at all really.
What they should have done is actually practised what they preached and called others out on doping but money dictates otherwise,and in fairness people are looking to Leinders as an example of Sky hiring doping people what about the bloody obvious....Wiggins came 4th in a doped up tour and was brought to Sky to head the team. F the doctor sure their main rider is a giveaway and the people in charge are not that stupid to believe he could do that on bread and water...panagua my back side

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
noddy69 said:
They hired him to compete in the arms race.
The bunch is back to its old tricks in broad daylight and Sky had to hire someone who knew how to compete at the highest level and bring results. Not difficult to understand at all really.
What they should have done is actually practised what they preached and called others out on doping but money dictates otherwise,and in fairness people are looking to Leinders as an example of Sky hiring doping people what about the bloody obvious....Wiggins came 4th in a doped up tour and was brought to Sky to head the team. F the doctor sure their main rider is a giveaway and the people in charge are not that stupid to believe he could do that on bread and water...panagua my back side
agreed.
no degree in philosophy required to understand this one.
it's a classic nobrainer.

WHy does walsh say the "italian doctor" fabio ...and not say the dutch doctor leinders or the welsh/scot/brit doctor peters...it's like as if being an italian doctor is bad, i know there is a problem with doping and italian doctor but still i find it odd.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
WHy does walsh say the "italian doctor" fabio ...and not say the dutch doctor leinders or the welsh/scot/brit doctor peters...it's like as if being an italian doctor is bad, i know there is a problem with doping and italian doctor but still i find it odd.

It is another crack in Walsh's make up.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Zam_Olyas said:

Prejudice?

Dr Ferrari is Lance's doctor and Italian.

Ironically, given Walsh’s depiction of himself as the white knight in the battle against the demon king Armstrong, the journalist comes out of her story poorly; O’Reilly ended up feeling that she had turned into a pawn in his campaign. She writes of Walsh: “He’d hung me out to dry – but worse than that, the publisher had even openly warned him of the impact this would have on my life and had recommended proper support. Something I feel I never got.” When Walsh later refers to the initial interview he did with her as “his Christmas”, O’Reilly rolls her eyes and thinks: “Yes David, your Christmas was at my expense.”

Sounds familiar. From Emma O'Reilley's new book.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/02/emma-o-reilly-lance-armstrong-cyclist-doping

Benotti69 said:
My read on the Leinders bit, is it is to exonerate Leinders or he was giving them other stuff and didn't want steroids mixed with it!!

I agree with the 2nd part. Also, Leinders knew that breaking the internal rules on the TUEs could lead people to look more closely. Its about appearance, not reality.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

I hope that she gets what she is looking for from writing the book, I would read it. She was there saw all the bull first hand and said so.

Walsh is out for Walsh...was and always will be. I feel for Emma, this chase was driven by his ego and want to be proved right.

It still amazes me the input in the pursuit of Armstrong but now he peddles poorly written nonsense about sky.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Emma O'Reilly strikes me as a very impressive person. And its quite telling that out of this whole sordid affair Walsh is starting to look worse than Armstrong ever did. I look forward to reading her book.

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
elduggo said:
Emma O'Reilly strikes me as a very impressive person. And its quite telling that out of this whole sordid affair Walsh is starting to look worse than Armstrong ever did. I look forward to reading her book.

Are you serious? I understand that his failure to deliver the goods on Team Sky might piss you off, and that's fair enough - but he's worse than Armstrong?? - as in the Armstrong who 'dealt' with Simeone, Bassons, Betsy, Emma herself (I don't recall Walsh calling her a 'whore', for example), Hamilton's missus?? And who made millions upon millions doing it??

Really?? That seems a fairly stunning lack of perspective, man.

TRENDING THREADS