• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 174 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
The Hitch said:
Are you serious?

Yes I am serious. I don't understand the constant hatred. Seems like I am committing some offense in admitting this too.

:confused:

Perhaps you can explain how Emma is "on Lance's team" now?

Am I on his team because I do not hate him as well?

While you're at it, perhaps you could explain how I was "attacking"?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Attack? I am asking a question.

I have not understood the hate Race Radio has for Lance Armstrong. I must have missed some back story or something there.

Can you explain how Emma is on Lance's team? Did I miss her saying something obvious?

All I have read is she considers Lance a friend.

If that's not keeping up, I am not sure I understand.

Would prefer an unambiguous response, but understand that openly not hating Lance is a very unpopular stance here.

Weird how things are turning out these days. Not sure about the question. I did not realize that Emma was on dudes team either. Not sure how your post was an attack either.

Glenn_Wilson said:
I did not realize that Emma was on dudes team either. Not sure how your post was an attack either.

Maybe because having Lance write the forward of her book is a tacit support of his 'spin' about his cycling career? IMO, she may as well use any rub she can get out of Lance's name to recoup some of the losses she accrued during the whole sordid scandal.

I do agree that she seems to bare more of a grudge against Walsh for the hardships she faced. It may not be logical, but life often times is not logical.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Yes I am serious. I don't understand the constant hatred. Seems like I am committing some offense in admitting this too.

:confused:

Perhaps you can explain how Emma is "on Lance's team" now?

Am I on his team because I do not hate him as well?

While you're at it, perhaps you could explain how I was "attacking"?

If you dont acknowledge than Lance is the master of all evil forever and always, it means you have some sort of pro Lance agenda, and youre probably also smearing Frankie.

The obsession runs deep in the Lance thread.

Sep 29, 2012
djpbaltimore said:
Maybe because having Lance write the forward of her book is a tacit support of his 'spin' about his cycling career?

Based on what he wrote as the foreword? Or simply because he wrote it?

The book is not released yet, is it? Do we even know what he wrote?

I am not the world's best at anything, but I do know and have experienced the power of forgiveness and reconciliation. If Emma has reconciled, yeah, that's awesome. Very healthy.

the sceptic said:
If you dont acknowledge than Lance is the master of all evil forever and always, it means you have some sort of pro Lance agenda, and youre probably also smearing Frankie.

The obsession runs deep in the Lance thread.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster."

These days Betsy is looking as mean and vindictive as Armstrong ever was and RR is performing the same role his conspiratorial imagination always accused Public Strategies of fulfilling. Meanwhile the only thing Armstrong being brought down has done is provide a convenient scapegoat for everyone to blame as they sell unicorn dust to the public.

Dear Wiggo said:
Based on what he wrote as the foreword? Or simply because he wrote it?

The book is not released yet, is it? Do we even know what he wrote?

I honestly have no idea what is contained in the book or forward. Nor am I inclined to actually read it. However, it would not be unheard of for a group of people to corroborate a revisionist re-telling of history to suit their own agendas. I don't know if this is in the book, but Emma outing most of the peloton of the time as dopers would suit Lance's current 'level playing field' argument. In this case they might have a common enemy in Walsh, making them potential allies.

Sep 29, 2012
djpbaltimore said:
I honestly have no idea what is contained in the book or forward. Nor am I inclined to actually read it. However, it would not be unheard of for a group of people to corroborate a revisionist re-telling of history to suit their own agendas. I don't know if this is in the book, but Emma outing most of the peloton of the time as dopers would suit Lance's current 'level playing field' argument. In this case they might have a common enemy in Walsh, making them potential allies.

The "level playing field" claim because "everyone was doing it" fails miserably as soon as you take individual responses to doping in to account.

So I can see how uneducated masses might be sucked into that narrative, but that's not everyone.

What is Emma seeking to gain by jumping on Lance's team? Money? Notoriety? She doesn't seem that sort of person to me. I mean. You'd think if she were only after money she would have asked Lance for hush money?

Did Walsh pay her for the interview? Is that why she did it?

All things we can hopefully discover in the new book.

djpbaltimore said:

Lance needs everyone he can get on his side in the coming months

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
The "level playing field" claim because "everyone was doing it" fails miserably as soon as you take individual responses to doping in to account.

So I can see how uneducated masses might be sucked into that narrative, but that's not everyone.

What is Emma seeking to gain by jumping on Lance's team? Money? Notoriety? She doesn't seem that sort of person to me. I mean. You'd think if she were only after money she would have asked Lance for hush money?

Did Walsh pay her for the interview? Is that why she did it?

All things we can hopefully discover in the new book.

I think she was paid, i cant remember the figure, but it was agreed that as she had to read 2 thesis and make corrections (no doubt loads if Walsh current writing is anything to go by) over an intense period.

She deserved the money she was paid.

I dont understand why O'Reilly would be friends with Armstrong after what he did to her. The guy hasn't changed and I wonder has O'Reilly been sucked in by Armstrong. He has not gone near Betsy an dothers, because he knows they wont be fooled.

On the radio last night

Emma was on a book program on Radio 4 last night. It made the most weird listening. When I rode into work this morning I was still mulling it over in my mind. She was asked a question about the stuff she took for Lance from Girona. (I always thought she was taking it to Girona, but she corrected the interviewer on that very point.) she responded that yes she knew it was doping products and knew it was wrong but sort of went along with it as "I will do it just this once, but don't ask me again." Asked if she still spoke with Lance, you could just see her eyes lighting up as she spoke about her favourite man and keen to brag they spoke only last week and get on well now.

It sort of came across as " abused wife writes book about life with megastar evil hubby, that because she enjoyed all the high life she kept on going back for another beating." I did not have the fandom for Emma that others showed, certainly I did not buy into the hard moral sell that Walsh gave her in his book, so she did not have far to fall, but she fell some in my eyes.

It got me to thinking what sort of people would want to be soigneurs for 10 years or so and yes out pops someone like Emma.

I still want someone to ask Lillistone, ex pro from the late 80's through to the late 90's, around as EPO became a way of life in the peoloton, and then long term employee at British Cycling before becoming London 2012 Cycling manager, tell me Simon, did you have any doubt whatsoever that you were engaged on an illegal run with Emma taking that bag over 1,000 miles ? Why didn't you make your knowledge public, when Lance was still carrying on the fiction that he rode clean? Why did you just cry when Walsh rang you up when you were working at British Cycling ? How else have you facilitated doping ?

I won't be buying her book.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I think she was paid, i cant remember the figure, but it was agreed that as she had to read 2 thesis and make corrections (no doubt loads if Walsh current writing is anything to go by) over an intense period.

I dont understand why O'Reilly would be friends with Armstrong after what he did to her. The guy hasn't changed and I wonder has O'Reilly been sucked in by Armstrong. He has not gone near Betsy an dothers, because he knows they wont be fooled.

She was paid after the fact in order to help cover her legal bills.

Emma and Lance always had a close relationship. While Lance likely has an agenda Emma is probably just happy to have the past behind her and back in contact with an old friend.

As she is in the forgiveness mode I wonder if she is friends with Johan again?

Benotti69 said:

She was paid her traveling expenses. No money to appear in the interview. Armstrong at the time made a big deal over this at the time suggesting she was paid to provide Walsh what he wanted to hear but that wasn't he case.

When she went to "reconcile" with Armstrong the Daily Mail who traveled as well offered to pay her flight. She refused. Conducted a short interview and spoke to Armstrong alone.

Edit:

O'Reilly was paid 5,000 pounds, after reviewing several transcripts and chapter drafts and doing PR for the book for Walsh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Confidentiel#cite_note-usada1-7

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
Emma was on a book program on Radio 4 last night. It made the most weird listening. When I rode into work this morning I was still mulling it over in my mind. She was asked a question about the stuff she took for Lance from Girona. I always thought she was taking it to Girona, but she corrected the interviewer on that very point.) she responded that yes she knew it was doping products and knew it was wrong but sort of went along with it as "I will do it just this once, but don't ask me again." Asked if she still spoke with Lance, you could just see her eyes lighting up as she spoke about her favourite man and keen to brag they spoke only last week and get on well now.

It sort of came across as " abused wife writes book about life with megastar evil hubby, that because she enjoyed all the high life she kept on going back for another beating." I did not have the fandom for Emma that others showed, certainly I did not buy into the hard moral sell that Walsh gave her in his book, so she did not have far to fall, but she fell some in my eyes.

It got me to thinking what sort of people would want to be soigneurs for 10 years or so and yes out pops someone like Emma.

I still want someone to ask Lillistone, ex pro from the late 80's through to the late 90's, around as EPO became a way of life in the peoloton, and then long term employee at British Cycling before becoming London 2012 Cycling manager, tell me Simon, did you have any doubt whatsoever that you were engaged on an illegal run with Emma taking that bag over 1,000 miles ? Why didn't you make your knowledge public, when Lance was still carrying on the fiction that he rode clean? Why did you just cry when Walsh rang you up when you were working at British Cycling ? How else have you facilitated doping ?

great post (as usual).

thehog said:
She was paid her traveling expenses. No money to appear in the interview. Armstrong at the time made a big deal over this at the time suggesting she was paid to provide Walsh what he wanted to hear but that wasn't he case.

When she went to "reconcile" with Armstrong the Daily Mail who traveled as well offered to pay her flight. She refused. Conducted a short interview and spoke to Armstrong alone.

Edit:

Why don't you ask Emma about her relationship with Lance..
I found some of freddythefrog's comments interesting

although I don't like the analogies to 'abused wife goes back for more beating" type rhetoric..that is sad

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
Emma was on a book program on Radio 4 last night. It made the most weird listening. When I rode into work this morning I was still mulling it over in my mind. She was asked a question about the stuff she took for Lance from Girona. (I always thought she was taking it to Girona, but she corrected the interviewer on that very point.) she responded that yes she knew it was doping products and knew it was wrong but sort of went along with it as "I will do it just this once, but don't ask me again." Asked if she still spoke with Lance, you could just see her eyes lighting up as she spoke about her favourite man and keen to brag they spoke only last week and get on well now.

So she was on Radio 4 and you could see her eyes light up ? Good for you.

mewmewmew13 said:
Why don't you ask Emma about her relationship with Lance..
I found some of freddythefrog's comments interesting

although I don't like the analogies to 'abused wife goes back for more beating" type rhetoric..that is sad

I have a soft spot for Emma. She's very spiritual hence why she wanted to release the karma. I can understand her reconciliation but not so sure on Lance writing the forward for the book etc.

Nevertheless that's her business not mine. I do agree with her assessment of Walsh though. She had a small part in the whole story but Walsh dragged her through it for years and took advantage of her for the initial meeting.

What he presented to her was to go over his notes and documents and confirm it deny if the events were accurate. Somehow he leaked her name to Armstrong in attempt to stir up him up that he had a live "witness".

When Emma was being hammered by Armstrong. & Co. she was dealing with her partners MS. She asked Walsh to assist with the legal aspects of the letters she was receiving and he went missing. He dropped her but only apologized when Armstrong confessed and he started on her again. He appeared on Irish TV with her when she realised he was just using her for his own gain.

I find Walsh somewhat disgusting to be honest. He should just leave her alone.

My opinion. Doesn't worry me if others disagree.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
She was paid after the fact in order to help cover her legal bills.

Emma and Lance always had a close relationship. While Lance likely has an agenda Emma is probably just happy to have the past behind her and back in contact with an old friend.

As she is in the forgiveness mode I wonder if she is friends with Johan again?

An 'old friend' that dumped on you from high no longer is a friend.

Walsh talked about O'Reilly on Competitor radio and the reason she was paid, he did not mention covering legal bills.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Perhaps Armstrong is using Emma to get back at Walsh

I'm sure hes enjoying it alright, but this is on Walsh. O'Reilly isn't telling lies here. Shes telling it how it is. So this is on Walsh, no one else.