• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 222 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if Walsh enjoyed Landa's new found talent in the ITT today? :rolleyes:

28km3yx.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it was Maxiton who put forward the hypothesis that Walsh had been paid by Greg Lemond to go after Lance.
I never gave that much thought, until recently.
If you look at Walsh's "Going after Lance" book(s), there is some terribly cheap pro-Lemond rethorics in there, very much in the same vein as what he would later write in defense of Sky.
How could anybody be so apt and clever and inquisitive with regards to Lance's doping, yet provide such bogus arguments in favor of Lemond and (later) Team Sky?

In any case, the whole idea that Walsh made a 360 once Sky approached him needs to be revised.
He was already applying double standards well before Sky came into the picture.

Re:

sniper said:
I think it was Maxiton who put forward the hypothesis that Walsh had been paid by Greg Lemond to go after Lance.
I never gave that much thought, until recently.
If you look at Walsh's "Going after Lance" book(s), there is some terribly cheap pro-Lemond rethorics in there, very much in the same vein as what he would later write in defense of Sky.
How could anybody be so apt and clever and inquisitive with regards to Lance's doping, yet provide such bogus arguments in favor of Lemond and (later) Team Sky?

In any case, the whole idea that Walsh made a 360 once Sky approached him needs to be revised.
He was already applying double standards well before Sky came into the picture.

Its within the realm of possibility that LeMond paid Walsh. Those anti-Lance books sold very little but Walsh kept poorly writing them.

Its very similar to when LeMond paid a rival film crew to follow around the Gibey film crew during the Comeback 2.0. LeMond is weird like this.

Wouldn't surprise me if Walsh was on the take with this one...

At the time, there was many a sceptic who could have put him right on that, insisting that the Texan’s incredible achievements were chemically propelled, that this was nothing more than a mobile pharmacy pedalling through Provence. One of those, Greg Lemond a former Tour champion, was so incensed by what he saw as Gibney’s collusion, he commissioned another film-maker to record what he called “the anti-Gibney” account of Armstrong on the same Tour. Lemond’s rival camera crew is forever appearing in Gibney’s frame in his movie, a neat visual reminder of the division the rider caused.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10599723/Alex-Gibney-interview-for-The-Armstrong-Lie-Ive-never-met-a-better-liar-than-Lance.html

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
good point.

Weirder things have happened.

Sure, it's just a hypothesis to try and make sense of the horse crap coming out of Walsh' mouth.
Already well before Sky came into the picture.

And of course a former poster of this forum can be analyzed in roughly the same terms: very sharp and inquisitive wrt Lance, yet providing some the most ludicrous arguments in defense of Lemond.
Like Walsh, a guy on a two-fold mission: 1. expose Lance; 2. paint Lemond as a kind of anti-Lance.

Whilst we can all connect with the first objective, I'm at a loss as to why they were so invested in the second objective.

Walsh doesn't exhibit double standards because he believes Sky are clean, but because he dismisses the very same arguments against Sky that he used against Lance (especially watt figures, unlikely transformations, etc). Unless his belief in LeMond is based on similar stuff, I don't think there's double standards, just different opinions and an inevitable personal bias.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This FishHack is a Pu@@y. He blocks anyone who asks him questions that might show his bias.

Maybe he likes to bump ugly's with Sutton and the supposed knight of cycling. Sir brailmagains.

Re:

sniper said:
good point.

Weirder things have happened.

Sure, it's just a hypothesis to try and make sense of the horse crap coming out of Walsh' mouth.
Already well before Sky came into the picture.

And of course a former poster of this forum can be analyzed in roughly the same terms: very sharp and inquisitive wrt Lance, yet providing some the most ludicrous arguments in defense of Lemond.
Like Walsh, a guy on a two-fold mission: 1. expose Lance; 2. paint Lemond as a kind of anti-Lance.

Whilst we can all connect with the first objective, I'm at a loss as to why they were so invested in the second objective.

Yes, it was like we used to get down to the cent updates on Armstrong's investments, power numbers etc. and when it came to other riders there was a tailwind :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I would not be suprised to find out LeMond and the FishHack were sleeping together.

Makes a good bit of sense with the facts we have today.

Those who had to get some revenge on triboy wanted it and found a conduit through the FishHack.

Or it could be that Walsh manufactured his portrait of GL as the hero vs. villain LA in order to enhance the story that he was telling. Better than just the tale of a villain. And he probably didn't conduct 1% as much research on Gl as he did on LA. Sky? He may have been bribed, which I doubt is the case, or he got LA (his target), and he's too lazy to spend the time and effort for a second crusade. Easier to say that Sky looks legit than jeopardize his status with the masses (and job opportunities) by attacking the Sky juggernaut. I'm not an expert on Walsh, but that's my read.

Tonton said:
Or it could be that Walsh manufactured his portrait of GL as the hero vs. villain LA in order to enhance the story that he was telling. Better than just the tale of a villain. And he probably didn't conduct 1% as much research on Gl as he did on LA. Sky? He may have been bribed, which I doubt is the case, or he got LA (his target), and he's too lazy to spend the time and effort for a second crusade. Easier to say that Sky looks legit than jeopardize his status with the masses (and job opportunities) by attacking the Sky juggernaut. I'm not an expert on Walsh, but that's my read.

I tend to agree, he is making more money now writing terrible books on Sky and news articles there is no need to rock the boat. Brailsford has him on speed dial and dials in a pro Sky article whenever required. He ignores anything which might be dubious against Sky/British Cycling or UK Riders.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
my 2 cents is Walsh wants to see out his time at Sunday Times and take his good pension. Not going to jeopardise that after seeing how hard it was for Kimmage to get a job again. He'll write the Sky PR for now. Will he continue to dance to Sky's tune or change his step after retirement?

Re:

Benotti69 said:
my 2 cents is Walsh wants to see out his time at Sunday Times and take his good pension. Not going to jeopardise that after seeing how hard it was for Kimmage to get a job again. He'll write the Sky PR for now. Will he continue to dance to Sky's tune or change his step after retirement?

Walsh is 65 or 66, he is close to retirement. Even if Froome was shooting EPO in front of him, it’s doubtful Walsh would even understand what was going on. I think he has lost his memory.

I also believe he thought the movie “The Program” was going to be a ticket to Hollywood and more riches. Walsh probably thought his Sky book were also going to be made into movies so he wasn’t going to upset he apple cart. As it turns out the film bombed and no one outside of cycling even knows who David Walsh is or even cares. He has become a joke to be honest.

That photo of him following Brailsford around the Tour is fairly embarrassing. The whole “embedded” sham was just that, a sham.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Benotti69 said:

Walsh is 65 or 66, he is close to retirement. Even if Froome was shooting EPO in front of him, it’s doubtful Walsh would even understand what was going on. I think he has lost his memory.

I also believe he thought the movie “The Program” was going to be a ticket to Hollywood and more riches. Walsh probably thought his Sky book were also going to be made into movies so he wasn’t going to upset he apple cart. As it turns out the film bombed and no one outside of cycling even knows who David Walsh is or even cares. He has become a joke to be honest.

That photo of him following Brailsford around the Tour is fairly embarrassing. The whole “embedded” sham was just that, a sham.

Walsh will be 61 next month according to his wiki page. His wage must be good as chief sports reporter and a good pension to go with it. He may be looking to work with Brailsford & co in a few years......

Benotti69 said:
thehog said:
Benotti69 said:

Walsh will be 61 next month according to his wiki page. His wage must be good as chief sports reporter and a good pension to go with it. He may be looking to work with Brailsford & co in a few years......[/quote]

I believe he is already working for Braislford... :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
Benotti69 said:

actually, he is a fine Arts patron and has the great art museum MONA pleonasm in the coast off hobart and when i was buying his autobiography the woman at the literati bookstore i was buying it at, thought i was speaking about this walsh, evidently her father had indicated it may be a good christmas present for him and i quickly disabused her of his arts patronage and was dumbstruck by the finest decolletage i have ever seen and I aint talking bust nor cleavage u pervs i am talking decolletage even if i cant find the accent and dont know how to spell the term and i quickly thought a tactical plan of action to get Betsy to send me a signed copy of the walsh book and a personal forward by her waxing lyrical about my virtues

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Walsh doesn't exhibit double standards because he believes Sky are clean, but because he dismisses the very same arguments against Sky that he used against Lance (especially watt figures, unlikely transformations, etc). Unless his belief in LeMond is based on similar stuff, I don't think there's double standards, just different opinions and an inevitable personal bias.
the "passive doping" hypothesis has little to do with opinion.
Here's a summary of that hypothesis:

In 1994, the last season LeMond rode professionally, he was already suffering from “mitochondrial myopathy, a degenerative muscle disease that drained his strength and may well have been caused by passive doping,” writes David Walsh in his new book, From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France—an indispensable read for anyone who cares about pro cycling. “Passive doping” refers to the theory—supported by medical research—that “clean” riders like LeMond, by overcompensating to keep up with the dopers, do irreparable harm to their health.
http://thefanzine.com/mr-clean-greg-lemond-and-pro-cyclings-doping-problem-2/
:eek:

Walsh furthermore mentions that Bernard Tapie allegedly said Lemond was one of the few clean riders he knew.
Interestingly, the only other source I can find for that is Race Radio. I'll happily stand corrected though if somebody can show me the original source.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Tonton said:

I believe it was probably personal for Walsh, as far as Lance goes, because of the things LA supposedly said about Walsh's young son who died. There were a lot of folks with reason to go after Lance, and they found a willing ear in Walsh, when most of the cycling media wasn't going to touch the subject with a 10-foot pole.

Walsh also had a lot of help from Ballester with the first book.

Walsh wouldn't have the same animus towards the Sky crew.