• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 224 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Walsh writing today that Tour De France is losing it's appeal. My guess is this is the 1st hint in Sky's withdrawal from the sport.

Did he perhaps advance a reason as to why? such as it's got a lot more boring since we had dominant trains (whether for sprinters or in the mountains), not to mention super-dominant teams who have the chequebooks to buy a lot of the talent.

Cycling tends to be more fun when there are a lot of talented individualistics who don't care about coming second, and a death-or-glory attitude. Adds to the spontaneity.

I do so hope the bolded is true, though.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Electress said:
Benotti69 said:
Walsh writing today that Tour De France is losing it's appeal. My guess is this is the 1st hint in Sky's withdrawal from the sport.

Did he perhaps advance a reason as to why? such as it's got a lot more boring since we had dominant trains (whether for sprinters or in the mountains), not to mention super-dominant teams who have the chequebooks to buy a lot of the talent.

Cycling tends to be more fun when there are a lot of talented individualistics who don't care about coming second, and a death-or-glory attitude. Adds to the spontaneity.

I do so hope the bolded is true, though.

Tour de France has been pretty boring for decades.

That Walsh is dissing the TdF, Sky's so called number 1 priority doesn't make much sense and the reasons for dissing it either dont wash.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Walsh must have gone to the same journalism school as Comical Ali!

Walsh doesn't believe the crap he writes. No way!

Some classic Walsh this morning, we struck gold! I'm lovin' "The arrival of Landa", yes David from the Astana team that you didn't believe last year.

5p31pi.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Chaddy said:
By the usual suspects whom would laugh at anything he said

Walsh spewing lies and falsehoods about Sky inventing methods long since in use in the pro peloton is laughable, but to the Sky fans who jumped aboard the TeamSky ship in 2012 and left their intelligence on the quay swallow it willingly and with relish. :lol:

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
This tweet from last month made me chuckle.

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST May 18
Looking forward to Europa League final but unimpressed by previews in mainstream press that read like they were written by Liverpool fans.

Hmmmm.

Walsh is obviously not a stupid person or he wouldn't have risen to the heights he has in journalistoic cirlcles. However this latest article is just one of many that proves that he is as far away from being an investigative journalist as one can be. There are dozens of questions I would like to ask Brailsford, Froome and Sky. Walsh fails to address any of them and the *** in this latest article can be smelt from England to France. Walsh is working for a guy (Murdoch) who often appeals to the lowest common denominator and controls the UK print & tv media. Without Murdoch's support for instance it is highly unlikely that the UK would have opted to leave the EU, so its fairly obvious the level of power that Murdoch currently has. If you ask me, then Walsh is a mere pawn in a sandwich and is simply dancing to the Murdoch tune. The whole sky charade is a massive PR battle that plenty of people not heavily involved in the sport will gladly go along with .Those are the target audience for Walsh and other UK media outlets. Walsh has made hsi bed and he has to lie in it. His integrity as a journalist has disintegrated in my eyes but his reputation as a credible journalist is now entirely linked to the Chris Froome/Sky story. It has replaced the Armstrong story as one of the biggest mysteries in sport in terms of his transformation. Walsh, having nailed his colours clearly to the mast cannot backtrack and is now dependent on Froome being sufficiently protected from getting popped. Each year Froome wins the tour, that pressure will only ratchet up another level and Walsh looks even more ludicrous. Some of his interviews involving Sky and Froome would be far more befitting of another Murdoch title (The Sun) and thats how low Walsh's line of questioning has sunk. He has become nothing more than an apologist for Sky and is simply being used in the PR battle ahead of another likely turbulent 3 weeks.

v839kn.jpg

What is embarrassing is being the chief sports writer at the Sunday Times and not know that several athletes have pulled out due to Zika. One was a well known cyclist, Tejay Van Garderen

Does Walsh live in a cave? Or is he completely ignorant?

Re:

ontheroad said:
Walsh is obviously not a stupid person or he wouldn't have risen to the heights he has in journalistoic cirlcles.
SPORTS journalism. SPORTS. Big difference. Lots of extremely stupid people in this industry.

Not that journalism itself is necessary immune anyway. Increasingly in the internet age, loud mouths who don't possess intelligence, are having success in this industry.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
thehog said:
v839kn.jpg

What is embarrassing is being the chief sports writer at the Sunday Times and not know that several athletes have pulled out due to Zika. One was a well known cyclist, Tejay Van Garderen

Does Walsh live in a cave? Or is he completely ignorant?

I personally think he is playing an amazingly long con and will turn the tables on SKY at any minute and do a huge expose and uncover everything anyone could ever have dreamt was going on

Sorry only missed april 1st by a few months !!!!

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

thehog said:
hrotha said:
"Walsh is stupid/a mediocre journalist/senile/involved in crappy movies/whatever" shouldn't be in the Clinic. "Walsh is purposefully distorting the facts to help sell the Sky narrative" should.

Not sure on that; goes a long way to demonstrating his agenda.

Sky fair enough.

But then I don't see that with this Zika talk and golfers not participating in the Olympics. I see it as an honest mistake with Tejay Van Garderen. I read an article the other day where it was predominantly golfers who are pulling out.

He's not the only Irish journalist who has been critical of McIlroy and Lowry. What agenda does he have in this?

I don't know either why this belongs in the clinic.

gooner said:
thehog said:
hrotha said:
"Walsh is stupid/a mediocre journalist/senile/involved in crappy movies/whatever" shouldn't be in the Clinic. "Walsh is purposefully distorting the facts to help sell the Sky narrative" should.

Sky fair enough.

But then I don't see that with this Zika talk and golfers not participating in the Olympics. I see it as an honest mistake with Tejay Van Garderen. I read an article the other day where it was predominantly golfers who are pulling out.

He's not the only Irish journalist who has been critical of McIlroy and Lowry. What agenda does he have in this?

Honest mistake? Sadly when it comes to Walsh he makes several honest mistakes to he point where you think it's just part of his agenda.

Sad to see a reasonably talented journalist get bought off they way he has.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

thehog said:
gooner said:
thehog said:
hrotha said:

Sky fair enough.

Honest mistake? Sadly when it comes to Walsh he makes several honest mistakes to he point where you think it's just part of his agenda.

Sad to see a reasonably talented journalist get bought off they way he has.

Who has bought him off in relation to this? I don't see why he would have an agenda in this or what he gains from it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
When Walsh wrote that crap piece on Froome the other day selling new marginal lies about marginal gains, it was sad to see only Ross Tucker seemed to want to defend his profession, his trade (sports physiology/science), against these marginal lies and really voice his concerns about such fraudulent reporting.

So I guess the good thing about those Walsh pieces on Froome and similar crap from other journalists on Sky's marginal gains is that they allow us to separate real genuine sports/cycling physiologists

TRENDING THREADS