• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It is called getting out in front of the story. If it is going to break then you want your spin on it first.

BroDeal said:
No, it would be Walsh, who seems pleased as punch that he has a story to answer those who have been calling him Sky's b!tch. If someone else releases it first then he looks like a fool for putting himself so deep in Sky's corner.

Anything to suit your own narrative and agenda thinking. If anyone is spinning it, it's you to try and carry on the Walsh/fanboy/sellout mantra. Walsh is releasing it first as it looks like he was the first to come across it. Pretty simple really. Hence look at the statement that Sky have released first thing this morning right at the dawn which seems to have caught them off guard.

gooner said:
Anything to suit your own narrative and agenda thinking. If anyone is spinning it, it's you to try and carry on the Walsh/fanboy/sellout mantra. Walsh is releasing it first as it looks like he was the first to come across it. Pretty simple really. Hence look at the statement that Sky have released first thing this morning right at the dawn which seems to have caught them off guard.

Blackcat is right. This is a modified limited hang out. This is not about Sky. It is about Walsh trying to regain credibility after acting as chief propaganda officer for the Sky scam.

It did not take wonky blood values to point to what JTLwas up to. It did not take Sherlock Holmes or Woodward and Bernstein to figure it out. If Walsh was on the level then he would have immediately seen that a rider suddenly rocketing to the top in his mid to late twenties is a giant sign that said, "Hey, look at me! I am doping." He was not able to read the sign hanging over JTL's head, and he has purposely averted his eyes from the sign hanging over Froome.

Aren't you supposed to be here telling us how it is not in British character to dope?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Blackcat is right. This is a modified limited hang out. This is not about Sky. It is about Walsh trying to regain credibility after acting as chief propaganda officer for the Sky scam.

It did not take wonky blood values to point to what JTLwas up to. It did not take Sherlock Holmes or Woodward and Bernstein to figure it out.

No one is calling him Woodward and Bernstein but it's only natural if you are first to the story and have substance, you run it.

If Walsh was on the level then he would have immediately seen that a rider suddenly rocketing to the top in his mid to late twenties is a giant sign that said, "Hey, look at me! I am doping." He was not able to read the sign hanging over JTL's head, and he has purposely averted his eyes from the sign hanging over Froome.

As if Walsh would have been able to run a story on JTL like that. Reporting for the Sunday Times isn't the same as writing in the clinic I hope you know. This just dispels the nonsense that Walsh would turn a blind eye if he came across anything suspicious with substance he gets on Froome and Sky in the future.

Aren't you supposed to be here telling us how it is not in British character to dope?

Where did I say that? Please direct me. That's just a strawman.

gooner said:
As if Walsh would have been able to run a story on JTL like that. Reporting for the Sunday Times isn't the same as writing in the clinic I hope you know. This just dispels the nonsense that Walsh would turn a blind eye if he came across anything suspicious with substance he gets on Froome and Sky in the future.

Pull your head out. Anyone with two brain cells could figure out what JTL was up to. Walsh did not have to write about it. It should have been the red flag that indicated for him not to act as Sky's Goebbels. What this shows is that Walsh will shovel the BS on the public until the moment the public is about to become aware of the stench. At that point he will pretend he is still a reporter.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
So, Walsh writes a piece that damages Sky and portrays them in a poor light, to get ahead of a story that may never have materialised?
Please correct me but how would JTL's blood irregularities of last season compared to this season be damaging for Team Sky? It would be good PR; look, he is clean on our team! We are innocent.

Not saying that is the case here but in now way this will reflect on team Sky. No matter the spin it will be given. Win win.

The only 'bad' thing for Team Sky and Brailsfart is that their attention to detail myth looks to be what we have already stated before: a myth.

The only thing you can say about Walsh here is he had the 'scoop'.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:

Walsh asked their team doc about blood profiles. Team doc didn't say anything about JLTs. If his blood values are going to get him a ban, why have Sky not fired him?

Defending Sky gets ever more ridiculous.

If Sky had nothing to hide why dont they publish Wgans, Froome's and Porte's BP?

Do pro conti teams get tested for BP? I dont think so, so it is a 1 year dodgy BP. Not good for Sky.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Please correct me but how would JTL's blood irregularities of last season compared to this season be damaging for Team Sky? It would be good PR; look, he is clean on our team! We are innocent.

Not saying that is the case here but in now way this will reflect on team Sky. No matter the spin it will be given. Win win.
+1, all of this of course.

The only 'bad' thing for Team Sky and Brailsfart is that their attention to detail myth looks to be what we have already stated before: a myth.
but don't count on walsh pointing this out.

The only thing you can say about Walsh here is he had the 'scoop
as brodeal also said walsh sh/could have called out Sky's signing of Locke when it went down.
Remember l'Equipe already explicitly questioned Locke's performances last year. We must apparently assume Walsh stopped reading l'Equipe in 2012.:rolleyes:

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Walsh asked their team doc about blood profiles. Team doc didn't say anything about JLTs. If his blood values are going to get him a ban, why have Sky not fired him?

Defending Sky gets ever more ridiculous.

If Sky had nothing to hide why dont they publish Wgans, Froome's and Porte's BP?

Do pro conti teams get tested for BP? I dont think so, so it is a 1 year dodgy BP. Not good for Sky.

Walsh asked Freeman about Froome since the article was on the Sunday he was about to win the Tour. Stop twisting it to say the piece was about Sky's profiles in general.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Walsh asked Freeman about Froome since the article was on the Sunday he was about to win the Tour. Stop twisting it to say the piece was about Sky's profiles in general.

which basically cements the assumption that walsh is sky's *****.

back with lance/usps walsh didn't go and ask celaya, del moral, ferrari or martí about armstrong's bloodvalues now did he.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
which basically cements the assumption that walsh is sky's *****.

back with lance/usps walsh didn't go and ask celaya, del moral, ferrari or martí about armstrong's bloodvalues now did he.

I didn't know that Walsh was in around USPS during Lance's wins. I'm sure Bruyneel would have santioned interviews with all those above with no questions off limit. I can imagine a scenario like this:

"Feel free David to ask del Moral about him dumping syringes if you wish".

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:

The article reflects poorly on SKY. It is clear they made little effort to examine a rider who many in the sport had questions about. The relied on blood values collected by another team, did no performance tests of their own, and hired a rider who had massive swings in form.

While SKY may try to trumpet that JTL did not dope on their team this is likely more to do with the increased testing of being on a ProTour team and not anything SKY was doing.

Would be interesting to know JTL's testing stats. If he did have suspect values in 2012 he likely would be target tested. It would not take long for Sky to figure this out and ask why a under performing rider of theirs was getting tested so much.

Based on what is known so far it appears SKY did little in the way of due diligence either prior to, or after, hiring JTL. Garmin did more and they did not even hire him

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The article reflects poorly on SKY.
imo it won't reflect particularly poorly on sky in the eyes of the broader public.
the defense line ("the data don't relate to his time at sky") is already out there in all press releases.
that'll probably stick.

the good thing is that this might enlighten the ignorant and open their eyes to the possibility that brits are indeed just human.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The article reflects poorly on SKY. It is clear they made little effort to examine a rider who many in the sport had questions about. The relied on blood values collected by another team, did no performance tests of their own, and hired a rider who had massive swings in form.

While SKY may try to trumpet that JTL did not dope on their team this is likely more to do with the increased testing of being on a ProTour team and not anything SKY was doing.

Would be interesting to know JTL's testing stats. If he did have suspect values in 2012 he likely would be target tested. It would not take long for Sky to figure this out and ask why a under performing rider of theirs was getting tested so much.

Based on what is known so far it appears SKY did little in the way of due diligence either prior to, or after, hiring JTL. Garmin did more and they did not even hire him
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/former-endura-manager-defends-tiernan-locke

''“Jonathan Vaughters got in contact and said there were no abnormalities in John’s test and that they’d still like to progress with a possible chat of taking him on. Then Sky approached him and took him to a training camp in Tenerife at the start of May. I am not sure what testing Sky did or when [they] started. No matter what he was still under Endura. Sky looked after him at Worlds then the process started at their off season training camp. What happened during Sky training camps, I don't know. As far as I’m concerned Sky showed all due diligence in looking after him. I think I even sent the results from Jonathan Vaughters’ tests to them. They’ve seen all the data. As far as I’m concerned Jonathan is the real deal. Sky, Garmin and Endura all thought there were no irregularities with Jonathan.”

It looks like info is suddenly dropping out of the SKY...

Well well well. JTL on trainingcamps in march, may 2012, and around the Worlds. Yet, no blood tests? Yet Sky, Garmin and Endura were happy with his bloodprofile?

I agree now Race, it is looking worse and worse for Brailsfart and his buddies.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
imo it won't reflect particularly poorly on sky in the eyes of the broader public.
the defense line ("the data don't relate to his time at sky") is already out there in all press releases.
that'll probably stick.

the good thing is that this might enlighten the ignorant and open their eyes to the possibility that brits are indeed just human.

Seriously, how the hell would you know?
You asked RR a question in the JTL thread that was covered in the Walsh article.

It is pretty pathetic that the same people saying the piece is a "limited hangout" etc also have not bothered to read the actual article.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:

This is pretty much it. The article does paint them in poor light. From the piece it says they were happy enough that Garmin were satisfied after their own tests on him in March 26. Totally irresponsible that they didn't do anything of note themselves thereafter that especially after his TOB win.

One thing which goes against Brailsford in the article is when Walsh said that he either wasn't aware of the l'Equipe piece which questioned JTL or simply didn't pay enough attention to it. After he goes on to criticise the whole recruitment department and whether it's up to scratch. This was far from a PR piece.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Seriously, how the hell would you know?
i don't know. it was an initial thought, and i hope that thought will change.
let's just say that if the sports press does its job, this will indeed be bad PR for Sky.
if, that is.

It is pretty pathetic that the same people saying the piece is a "limited hangout" etc also have not bothered to read the actual article.
proposed changes:
"pathetic" > "unfortunate"
"have not bothered" > "have not been able"

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
This is pretty much it. The article does paint them in poor light. From the piece it says they were happy enough that Garmin were satisfied after their own tests on him in March 26.Totally irresponsible that they didn't do anything of note themselves thereafter that especially after his TOB win.
how do you know? How does Walsh know?
Sky PR (including Walsh apparently) are now eager to sell this and the sky fanbase will happily buy it.
"Totally irresponsible". Great line. Sky can live with that.

As Race Radio said in the JTL thread, however, we don't know.
They may have done testing and may have seen he was a doper, and still hired him. We don't know.