• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I'm sure they have never ridden their bikes more than 19km on their personal rides. It's probably too far away to train.

There is no good pro mechanic closer than stars and bikes?

Weak excuse, just like the team needed a doctor quickly after a soignuers death so settled on Leinders.

Yeah Sky really are amateurs :rolleyes: in this professional sport. They are painting themselves as the clean team :rolleyes: who hasn't a clue who the dopers are and bumbling through :rolleyes:

Sky Lampoon's European Vacation :D

gooner said:
I just read the article again. He said Porte and Froome haven't been back since the Hamilton book. He wasn't happy about it either and said Brailsford stopped it.

So you think they've been naughty and dropped into see Motoman?

You know just to check out the Trek's?

Brailafords the man. Keeps hiring these doping guys then says opps they don't tell us they were drug doctors/mules.

Attention to details.

Just as well as the fawning British public ignores it.

gooner said:
I just read the article again. He said Porte and Froome haven't been back since the Hamilton book. He wasn't happy about it either and said Brailsford stopped it.

Don't worry Gooner. Brailsford is on the case. No more contact with Lance, Yates, Motoman or his henchmen :rolleyes:

dh39t2.jpg

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
coinneach said:
I think he is mixing up Boswell & Johnston (the way folk here mix up Ferrari & Leinders)

BTW "derailleur" means "fu**ing expensive gear shifter....the bigger the poser, the more it costs"

Coinneach, you are, to my embarrassment, completely correct. Schoolboy error. I blame Robbie Coltrane!

As for the 'tribe' of Scots, if he's going to bring up Dalriada or Scotti I'm calling the culture police.

I must say, C, your french is excellent ;-)

martinvickers said:
Coinneach, you are, to my embarrassment, completely correct. Schoolboy error. I blame Robbie Coltrane!

As for the 'tribe' of Scots, if he's going to bring up Dalriada or Scotti I'm calling the culture police.

I blame too much whiskey.

Ease up on being the bully Martin.

Stick to the point because what you say can't be trusted.

Enough mistakes, yes?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I blame too much whiskey.

Ease up on being the bully Martin.

Stick to the point because what you say can't be trusted.

Enough mistakes, yes?

Play the ball, not the man, Hog. That's quite enough comments about my posting style.

You know the rules, they apply to you too.

martinvickers said:
Play the ball, not the man, Hog. That's quite enough comments about my posting style.

You know the rules, they apply to you too.

Sure. But you have to admit you like to sound very sure of yourself when posting nonsense.

I just ask, you to fact check what you write before posting.

Is that too much to ask?

Accuracy is important in these situations.

And you appear to be making a lot of errors in details.

Cheers thanks, Martin.

martinvickers said:

Martin, your manners are impeccable (have you noticed how certain posters NEVER admit they were wrong?)

I think a better comparison would have been people confusing Armstrong with Wiggins:

and as you will no doubt know, Coinneach is a fellow Gael

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
coinneach said:
Martin, your manners are impeccable (have you noticed how certain posters NEVER admit they were wrong?)

Well, I didn't like to say....

I think a better comparison would have been people confusing Armstrong with Wiggins:

and as you will no doubt know, Coinneach is a fellow Gael

Worse still, it's not even, strictly the first dictionary of English; more like the first 'authoritative' one.

And, yes, Coinneach (or Cainneach, here) is a fine gaelic appellation.

the sceptic said:
Maybe motoman is the best mechanic in the world? Whatever he did for Armstrong is in the past and he stopped doing that in 2006.

I just saw your quote.

Did Brailsford actually say this?

He really is LOL of the year.

They really a mass of contradictions that team Sky.

Quote:
"If a mechanic sticks a tyre on, and someone comes along and says it could be done better, it's not an insult - it's because we are always striving for improvement, for those 1% gains, in absolutely every single thing we do."

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I just saw your quote.

Did Brailsford actually say this?

He really is LOL of the year.

They really a mass of contradictions that team Sky.

on the team sky website.
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17547_5792058,00.html

alot of eyebrow raisers there.
such as this one.
"The aggregation of marginal gains," is Brailsford's catchphrase. When he first explained it, he was discussing the thorny topic of doping. "My personal take on it is that a lot of the guys who dope actually use it as such a crutch that they stop doing other things," said Brailsford.
Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17547_5792058,00.html#rVA0o7HB9MS5ok2y.99
say that to lance.

sniper said:
on the team sky website.
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17547_5792058,00.html

alot of eyebrow raisers there.
such as this one.

say that to lance.

Yeh, but he wasn't "a lot of the guys", he was "the guy"

He knew that doping would only take him so far, and that he needed "marginal gains" and hard training as well. (This comes from Tylers book)

And when it was according to Tyler an even playing field, Lance still won
(Mind you, that was when Tyler stopped everybody to wait for Lance)

More interesting I think is how guys get on once they stop doping, and there seems to be a huge variation there (or maybe some are just more clever at continuing doping?)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:

He knew that doping would only take him so far, and that he needed "marginal gains" and hard training as well. (This comes from Tylers book)

More interesting I think is how guys get on once they stop doping, and there seems to be a huge variation there (or maybe some are just more clever at continuing doping?)

no one stopped doping. the epo was reduced to training and micro-doping during racing but no one stopped.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what sir Walsh thinks about this.

A few months ago it was normal and possible to be clean and climb as fast as Armstrong, but now they can barely keep up on the flat anymore and lose 17 minutes to the likes of Bouhanni. Something doesnt add up here, if they were such natural talents they wouldnt look like complete clowns after the tour finished :confused:

I've been trying to make sense of what this point about Phillip Maire is. Like, do people think because he met Froome and Porte, that must mean he was running drugs to them?

I just don't know anything about him, other than 1) he owns a bike shop near Monaco and likes to take pictures with famous riders/meet pro riders, and 2) he made good pals enough with USPS folks that they hired him to follow them with drugs.

From the context of the Reasoned Decision/Tyler's book, it seemed to me like Maire was hired to do this because he was pals with some dudes on the team, not because he was known for his EPO-couriering talents in the peloton. So, twelve years later or whatever, it seems like making anything of his meeting Froome and Porte more than 'he met Froome and Porte because they were with Sean Yates and they were old pals' would be a pretty big leap. Going to him for doping in 2012 seems to make much less sense than, say, going to Ferrari.

But, is that what is being said here, that the EPO-couriering had to be more than a one-off, and that Maire is strongly connected with doping in the peloton?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:

the whole idea that you can win GTs clean because dopers allegedly disregard the marginal gains is so flawed it's insulting to my intelligence.

the marginal gains talk was introduced by lance and bruyneel, and brailsford has refined it. That Walsh looked straight through it in the case of USPS but has fallen for it in the case of Sky speaks volumes about his current credibility.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:

A few months ago it was normal and possible to be clean and climb as fast as Armstrong, but now they can barely keep up on the flat anymore and lose 17 minutes to the likes of Bouhanni. Something doesnt add up here, if they were such natural talents they wouldnt look like complete clowns after the tour finished :confused:

sir Walsh thinks what he is paid to thinks :D

I think if Walsh stood back and had a good hard look at Sky he would have a lot more questions, but he is not being paid to do that.

I wonder did Greg LeMond's comment about Armstrong being the '...great fraud in the history of the sport', become a carrot that Walsh saw if he could crack that story he would forever be the guy who broke 'the greatest fraud int he history of sport'.

Walsh proclaims himself a cycling fan! Does he not wonder how Sky can win the biggest race in the world and do miserable at every monument! Crazy.

the sceptic said:

I don't think he cares. He's probably busy choosing dust jackets for the cover of his new Sky book and choosing been raised or indented test on his Sky business cards.

Segregation of duties, much?

Walsh is not dissecting the story like some think he is... he just pom pomming as a cheerleader.

Which is fine.

For the real story behind Sky we at the Clinic will do the heavy lifting that he won't be doing.

Benotti69 said:
sir Walsh thinks what he is paid to thinks :D

I think if Walsh stood back and had a good hard look at Sky he would have a lot more questions, but he is not being paid to do that.

I wonder did Greg LeMond's comment about Armstrong being the '...great fraud in the history of the sport', become a carrot that Walsh saw if he could crack that story he would forever be the guy who broke 'the greatest fraud int he history of sport'.

Walsh proclaims himself a cycling fan! Does he not wonder how Sky can win the biggest race in the world and do miserable at every monument! Crazy.

Reason: Because he thinks doping in a GT is harder logistically...and them being so bad in the classics is evidence of them being clean...now if you can pick through those two lines in order for it to make sense, then you're impressive.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Digger said:
Reason: Because he thinks doping in a GT is harder logistically...and them being so bad in the classics is evidence of them being clean...now if you can pick through those two lines in order for it to make sense, then you're impressive.

So Garmin won a monument, does Walsh think Garmin are doping? Wow!:eek:

Sorry Digger that logic Walsh applies is nonsensical. What is prevent teams doping at GTs?

GTs are hardly like airport security where everyday you got to go through scanners before hotels, buses, team cars, etc etc......

Who told him that doping was not possible logistically at the GTs?

TRENDING THREADS