• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
He can't write about things he doesn't see or stuff without no substance to it like some do around here. He can only go on what he has.

bull****. What about the rubbish he wrote about the Irish on Alpe d'Huez. He wasn't there yet still wrote a pack of unsubstantiated lies.

Naive

I still don't understand what relevance it is to be with a Team for 8 weeks anyway ! he spent a week on Majorca with them, 3 weeks on the TDF. But does he think he was going to hear them running up and down the hotel corridors ? durrrr those times are over David.

I don't think he would be able to hear syringes being ground down and the toilet chain pulled. Maybe when david was having his massage or when he'd gone out for his evening run, showered and then gone down for dinner.....transfusions were taking place.

Someone needs to ask Walsh what exactly was he hoping to see that would prove doping was going on.

John Dower spent a year on and off filming the team for the Brad Wiggins doco and he saw nothing. Walshe shares an employer and financial interests with his subject matter. He's never going to be objective. Anyone that though he would be is deluded.

Control the media and you can get away with anything. Look at the cycling journos in Skys pocket / News Groups payroll. Between the Sunday Times and Sky sports there's at least 4. Plus the questionable riders that are looked after and used as 'experts'. It's a very closed shop there and everyone is very closely controlled.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
bobbins said:
John Dower spent a year on and off filming the team for the Brad Wiggins doco and he saw nothing. Walshe shares an employer and financial interests with his subject matter. He's never going to be objective. Anyone that though he would be is deluded.

Control the media and you can get away with anything. Look at the cycling journos in Skys pocket / News Groups payroll. Between the Sunday Times and Sky sports there's at least 4. Plus the questionable riders that are looked after and used as 'experts'. It's a very closed shop there and everyone is very closely controlled.

You see LA did tell at least two truths. One was, on Oprah, "the whole thing has been a lie" - meaning the whole of the professional cycling is a lie. No kidding LA, give me five !! The other was that Walsh "is a little f***ing troll. Give me a high five !!

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
elduggo said:
bull****. What about the rubbish he wrote about the Irish on Alpe d'Huez. He wasn't there yet still wrote a pack of unsubstantiated lies.

He didn't lie, he got something wrong but had the courtesy to apologise. Nevetheless after the apology Walsh said Porte told him that the abuse at the Irish corner was not from the French.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
gooner said:
He didn't lie, he got something wrong but had the courtesy to apologise. Nevetheless after the apology Walsh said Porte told him that the abuse at the Irish corner was not from the French.

None are so blind as those who are getting paid not to see.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Walsh has lost his credibilty on Sky, imo.

Walsh called out Michelle Smith with no evidence apart from her performance in the Olympics.

I suppose it had nothing got to do with a known doper that tested positive and who was her coach/husband whereby he transformed her physical shape all of a sudden with his "training methods".

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I suppose it had nothing got to do with a known doper that tested positive and who was her coach/husband whereby he transformed her physical shape all of a sudden with his "training methods".

it had everything to do with that.
no evidence, but strong indicators were enough for walsh to make the call.
which is exactly why his willingness to excuse strong doping indicators wrt sky/wiggo/froome is all the more striking.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
it had everything to do with that.
no evidence, but strong indicators were enough for walsh to make the call.
which is exactly why his willingness to excuse strong doping indicators wrt sky/wiggo/froome is all the more striking.

Where's the Erik de Bruin here? Michelle had no problems persistently working with him with that big cloud hanging over him.

When the Leinders story broke about his past, he was ditched. If he was still working for Sky today after all this coming up, do you think Walsh would turn a blind eye to that and have anything got to do with them? No chance.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
bobbins said:

Walsh and the Sunday Times were the first to question Brailsford on the appointment of Leinders. Who was the first to put the question to Wiggins and his comments on Floyd? Again Walsh and the Sunday Times. Owen Slot also said they were the first to do so on Froome/Porte/Motoman.

gooner said:
Walsh and the Sunday Times were the first to question Brailsford on the appointment of Leinders. Who was the first to put the question to Wiggins and his comments on Floyd? Again Walsh and the Sunday Times. Owen Slot also said they were the first to do so on Froome/Porte/Motoman.

Yes the first 2 years later and when Wiggins told a lie for his response Walsh didn't challenge it.

It was like Walsh was helping him look better.

Awesome reporting.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes the first 2 years later and when Wiggins told a lie for his response Walsh didn't challenge it.

It was like Walsh was helping him look better.

Awesome reporting.

Read the piece again. It was also a preview of the Giro coming up that week. He could have easily ignored the Floyd topic. The whole background to why Wiggins said those comments was mentioned in that article. That section was your own interpretation on what he said in response to Walsh's questioning. It was the purpose of that part. I thought it painted Wiggins in poor light. You don't do that if you're some sort of mouthpiece or PR journalist for the person you are interviewing.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:

Well if that is evidence, then can i present Sky team Doctor Geert Leinders as evidence of Sky's doping.

I suppose Smith should've got Walsh a nice hotel in Barcelona :rolleyes:

Wash in the past

Walsh pointed out that, to him, it was ‘blindingly obvious’ that Armstrong was a drugs cheat

http://www.thescore.ie/david-walsh-on-seven-deadly-sins-728334-Dec2012/

What was blindingly obvious to Walsh ?? because whatever it was its very much on a par with what we're seeing at Sky.

Armstrong stormed to the Tour de France that summer, setting record times and winning four stages along the way.
“I had a bad sense against Armstrong from the first day of that tour,” said Walsh.

No sense about Sky then !

Walsh also noted his displeasure at the close relationship many journalists have with current Le Tour champion Bradley Wiggins.
“Too many journalists are calling Bradley Wiggins ‘Wiggo’.
We’re not in this business to make friends with the champions.”

And lets remember that one !!

gooner said:
Read the piece again. It was also a preview of the Giro coming up that week. He could have easily ignored the Floyd topic. The whole background to why Wiggins said those comments was mentioned in that article. That section was your own interpretation on what he said in response to Walsh's questioning. It was the purpose of that part. I thought it painted Wiggins in poor light. You don't do that if you're some sort of mouthpiece or PR journalist for the person you are interviewing.
This was already addressed at the time.

It's called "damage control".

gooner said:

Wiggins said he was asked the Landis question outside the Tour bus and that's why he said what he said under duress.

It was simply not true.

A very relaxed Wiggins said it elsewhere. On a training camp and not at the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-calls-for-biological-passport-data-to-be-made-public

And Wiggins response was good enough for super sleuth journalist Walsh?

Now who's sleeping with who? :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:

he gave a guarded apology that was almost as offensive as what he wrote in the first place.

And he never said what Porte said, other than it wasn't French people. He left it vague enough to reassert his implications that it was Irish people. Thus making his bull**** apology completely redundant.

horsinabout said:
You see LA did tell at least two truths. One was, on Oprah, "the whole thing has been a lie" - meaning the whole of the professional cycling is a lie. No kidding LA, give me five !! The other was that Walsh "is a little f***ing troll. Give me a high five !!

Let's remind ourselves of another LA quote...

“Walsh is the worst journalist I know. Ethics, standards, values, accuracy — these are of no interest to people like Walsh.”

Lance was right. :eek: Walsh is a disgrace to journalism. A disgrace.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Chicken said:

“Walsh is the worst journalist I know. Ethics, standards, values, accuracy — these are of no interest to people like Walsh.”

It is a sad day for journalism when all the good work he did on Armstrong is washed away by his skylove.

Cycle Chic said:
I think that interview signed and sealed any doubts that the Clinic may have had.

Its just bizarre that he hunted Armstrong for all those years and yet here he is being totally blinded by the Sky Tour and all the glitz and glamour.

He was gushing about the hotel room he was given, the massage available to him....the plush time he had on the Tour. He was positively in awe of it all. Unbelieveable....the man is a bafoon !

I thought this may be all a smokescreen to get in with Sky but Walsh is obviously not that intelligent.

Another kick in the teeth for us all.

That's unfair. He was there to experience the Tour as a member of Team Sky. If he'd been stuck with the other journalists on a minibus and in a cheap hotel you'd be complaining the other way.

gooner said:

And you can bet that these were carefully stage managed. Leinders whole involvement hasn't been covered and the rest of it is all smoke and mirrors. There's a reason Kimmage isn't working for them anymore.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Chicken said:

I wouldnt go that far. He isnt any worse than other journalists out there. Of course you can argue that the whole profession is a disgrace i guess.

Anyway, to me it looks like Walsh wasnt looking for reasons why they might be doping, he was looking for reasons why they are clean.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I wouldnt go that far. He isnt any worse than other journalists out there. Of course you can argue that the whole profession is a disgrace i guess.

Anyway, to me it looks like Walsh wasnt looking for reasons why they might be doping, he was looking for reasons why they are clean.

I guess he wasn't looking for doping, just along for the ride. Wonder did he get a nice black and blue dogma:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS