• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
it's a nobrainer, get over it.

It is because not once in Walsh article does he mention "theory".

Again, you picked up commentary from someone elses article. That is not a no brainer - it is hors category stupid.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This was something like his first time at the Tour for about 7/8 years. Rugby and Golf are the ones I would more associate him with down the years. He is always attending World Cups and majors and so on. More than cycling for sure.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
This was something like his first time at the Tour for about 7/8 years. Rugby and Golf are the ones I would more associate him with down the years. He is always attending World Cups and majors and so on. More than cycling for sure.

My main gripe with Walsh was his live tweeting of nearly every shot when he was at the Masters.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I am sure he has written more books about cycling- mostly on LA.
SDS, FLTL, LA Confidential. For the last 2 he took time away from ST to write.

None of that has to do with his day to day job as a journo for Sunday Times. He is not a cycling journalist, very simple.

2 Kelly books.

Inside Team Sky: The Inside Story of Team Sky and their Challenge for the 2013 Tour de France

The Agony and the Ecstasy, Roche.

A lot of cycling.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Sadly i am not a sky fanboy. Wish i could live a life in denial. I would be all over Sky's website while wearing my rapha, riding a pina, talking like Wiggo "ya boneidle w@^kers"..............

You said it was obvious to everyone here at the time about Leinders's dodgy past when he first got appointed. Yet it has been shown that yourself, sniper never mentioned him once before de Rooy's comments. The search on the forum shows that. Why didn't you mention it when he first got hired? Could you answer this please?

Be facetious all you like in response to it but this has been shown to be fact.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
2 Kelly books.

Inside Team Sky: The Inside Story of Team Sky and their Challenge for the 2013 Tour de France

A lot of cycling.

Which does not mean he is a "cycling journalist" - he writes for the ST and goes wherever they send him and this years Tour was his first in 9 years.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
You said it was obvious to everyone here at the time about Leinders's dodgy past when he first got appointed. Yet it has been shown that yourself, sniper never mentioned him once before de Rooy's comments. The search on the forum shows that. Why didn't you mention it when he first got hired? Could you answer this please?

Since when did I become a cycling journalist? I am not out investigating the sport. Want to pay me to?

gooner said:
Be facetious all you like in response to it but this has been shown to be fact.

I see my responses as humourous not facetious, it is people who take their sport to levels beyond life that fail to see the humour.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Which does not mean he is a "cycling journalist" - he writes for the ST and goes wherever they send him and this years Tour was his first in 9 years.

Why did Walsh not go to any TdFs?

He didn't bother because he saw the sport as full of doping and omerta. Probably secretly still does but his employer wont let him write about it while his employer has a vested interest.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
2 Kelly books.

A lot of cycling.

He isn't a fully designated cycling journalist. Rugby World Cups. golf majors, athletics, and Olympics. Walsh done some good reporting on FIFA corruption also. I remember him on Sky Sports News defending the Sunday Times investigation into it at a time when they were accused of sabotaging England's hopes of hosting the World Cup because of it. They absurdly got a lot heat for that. He's not taking up with covering the sport all year round. This year it was more than usual because of his time with Sky. That mightn't be the case next year.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
He isn't a fully designated cycling journalist. Rugby World Cups. golf majors, athletics, and Olympics. Walsh done some good reporting on FIFA corruption also. I remember him on Sky Sports News defending the Sunday Times investigation into it at a time when they were accused of sabotaging England's hopes of hosting the World Cup because of it. They absurdly got a lot heat for that. He's not taking up with covering the sport all year round.

I know what Walsh covers. He has written a lot of cycling books based on his writing for papers.

gooner said:
This year it was more than usual because of his time with Sky. That mightn't be the case next year.

His employers saw an opportunity to try and deflect the suspicions around Sky by getting the guy who finally got the biggest sporting fraud to give Sky the thumbs up.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

He didn't bother because he saw the sport as full of doping and omerta. Probably secretly still does but his employer wont let him write about it while his employer has a vested interest.

Maybe because the Sunday Times sent Kimmage instead.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

So, he didn't go because the sport was "full of doping and omerta" - unlike his last time there in the year 2004, hmmmmm.

Walsh is not a 'cycling journalist", end of - and was in no better position to know about Leinders activities on Rabo then you were.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I know what Walsh covers. He has written a lot of cycling books based on his writing for papers.

His employers saw an opportunity to try and deflect the suspicions around Sky by getting the guy who finally got the biggest sporting fraud to give Sky the thumbs up.

That's nonsense. Walsh said he didn't want to turn down the offer and saw it as a good opportunity.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
So, he didn't go because the sport was "full of doping and omerta" - unlike his last time there in the year 2004, hmmmmm.

2004 a vintage clean year?

Dr. Maserati said:
Walsh is not a 'cycling journalist", end of - and was in no better position to know about Leinders activities on Rabo then you were.

Yeah me and Walsh are in the same league.Thanks.:rolleyes:

Wonder why no one tipped Walsh off about Leinders the way they did with Ferrari. Omerta stronger than ever.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Wonder why no one tipped Walsh off about Leinders the way they did with Ferrari. Omerta stronger than ever.

So now you are not blaming Walsh for not uncovering Leinders's past.

Another shovel needed I think.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Nope.
But you suggested DW was not at the TdF because of 'doping & omerta' even though he was there throughout the early 2000s.

Benotti69 said:

This is interesting.

Who did tip off Walsh about Ferrari? The answer is clearly in SDS (or FLTL) we will now know if you have read them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
So now you are not blaming Walsh for not uncovering Leinders's past.

Never blamed him. My OPINION has been that he has not tried to get to the bottom of his hiring and his 2 years of work on the team. I dont care that Leinders was gone before he started the Sky work this year.

gooner said:
Another shovel needed I think.

Why, you going to work?

Sky got caught with breaking their own 'no ex dopers or doping docs' so they needed someone to give them the 'clean team' credibility back and Walsh has been the part of that and a big part of that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Nope.
But you suggested DW was not at the TdF because of 'doping & omerta' even though he was there throughout the early 2000s.

As a cycling journalist :rolleyes:

Dr. Maserati said:
This is interesting.

Who did tip off Walsh about Ferrari? The answer is clearly in SDS (or FLTL) we will now know if you have read them.

Not going to reread them just for you, but iirc, an Italian cop, deceased now, Fulvio.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
If you get the message out first you control that message. Simple Goebbels 101.

See above.

If Leinders was common knowledge what took Walsh so long to point out that Sky hired a doping doctor?

How do you know what the influence of Leinders was at Sky? Ferrari's reputation is backed by a lot GT wins. Of course his rep is not higher than Ferraris, but that does not lessen that a 'clean' team hired a doping doctor.

Just because Ferrari is the better PED doc does not matter in this equation. If you hire a doping doc in cycling there is only 1 reason, to enable doping. Whether he gets you the Ferrari levels of influence is neither here nor there as we are not discussing how many wins, doping is doping is doping.

Benotti69 said:
In my humble opinion to get the message out via their own website is not as credible as Walsh.

It was 'common knowledge' in cycling circles if he was at races wearing sky clothes and he was named on their website. That no one picked up on it is probably down to the Landis revelations in the Armstrong story, which has the cycling and sport medias eyes turned to

You said it was "common knowledge" about Leinders and then say "what took so long for Walsh to point this out".

So yes you did blame him.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
As a cycling journalist :rolleyes:

Not going to reread them just for you, but iirc, an Italian cop, deceased now, Fulvio.

Fulvio didn't "tip him off" as you suggest.
Walsh went to Italy on the hunch that Ferrari and LA were working together because it seemed logical after Livingstons name popped up on the Ferrari documents.
Donati put him in touch with Fulvio who being a NAS officer was able to get records of Armstrong staying in Ferrara.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
for real.
u gotta be pulling my leg.

So what exactly are gooner and doc arguing for?
#nobrainer
9781931382618.jpg

Ooops.
No, it cant be!

TRENDING THREADS