• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dr. Maserati said:
Which of course he has addressed - in the Sunday Times:

As well as through twitter;

I'm still not following.

For example. If a travel writer is reviewing a hotel or a particular city at the bottom of the article they will write a statement like "flights and hotels paid by XYZ". This the reader is fully aware that the writer received a free holiday to review the hotel or city. It's not a purely objective independent review.

With David I'm not seeing this. His travel and expenses is required to be funded. I'm not seeing transparency on whom is paying him and his expenses.

I can only assume the Sunday Times. Or do Sky pay him and his expenses?

The Giro tweets didn't appear to be objective journalism. More so PR as Wiggins wasn't mentally in the race. The tweets alone suggested he was about to explode and win the Giro.

The lines are very blurred. Between journalist, tweeter and PR man for Sky.

If there was more transparency on his role then we'd all know how much emphasis to place on his words.

The fact that he has a Sky book coming out shortly answers the question for me.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Which of course he has addressed - in the Sunday Times:

As well as through twitter;

Braislford keeps saying nothing to hide, but it is obvious they are hiding.

DB still not addressed Leinders to real saitsfaction and dont expect he ever will.

Neither has he addressed Froome's Bilharzia and metoric rise or the hiring of guys like Yates, Jullich, De Jong, Barry etc. DB not letting Kimmage talk to Barry, never given a reason.

Walsh has basically let Sky away with this and more.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I'm still not following.

For example. If a travel writer is reviewing a hotel or a particular city at the bottom of the article they will write a statement like "flights and hotels paid by XYZ". This the reader is fully aware that the writer received a free holiday to review the hotel or city. It's not a purely objective independent review.

With David I'm not seeing this. His travel and expenses is required to be funded. I'm not seeing transparency on whom is paying him and his expenses.

I can only assume the Sunday Times. Or do Sky pay him and his expenses?
I am not following you - Walsh is not a travel writer.
He was invited as a journalist to visit Sky at any time and have broad access.

thehog said:
The Giro tweets didn't appear to be objective journalism. More so PR as Wiggins wasn't mentally in the race. The tweets alone suggested he was about to explode and win the Giro.

The lines are very blurred. Between journalist, tweeter and PR man for Sky.

If there was more transparency on his role then we'd all know how much emphasis to place on his words.

The fact that he has a Sky book coming out shortly answers the question for me.
Well, that is your interpretation - however it appears to ignore the tweets he actually sent:
10 May
Rain making today's finish into Pescara treacherous. Wiggins, you sense, would rather be at the dentist's than having to ride these roads.

10 May
On the treacherous roads, Sky's leader has struggled.

14 May
If I tweet about Sky, it is because I have some insight to offer. Today, with two cat one climbs, there will be no wait-and-see approach.

Dr. Maserati said:
I am not following you - Walsh is not a travel writer.
He was invited as a journalist to visit Sky at any time and have broad access.

Well, that is your interpretation - however it appears to ignore the tweets he actually sent:

It is my interpretation.

It's a good interpretation. Many are confused by his role.

The upcoming book makes it much clearer.

Win win.

For Sky.

For Walsh.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

DB still not addressed Leinders to real saitsfaction and dont expect he ever will.

Neither has he addressed Froome's Bilharzia and metoric rise or the hiring of guys like Yates, Jullich, De Jong, Barry etc. DB not letting Kimmage talk to Barry, never given a reason.

What do you mean by "real satisfaction'?
Walsh has queried Brailsford on the hiring of Leinders and all the people you mention several times on the ST.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
It is my interpretation.

It's a good interpretation. Many are confused by his role.

The upcoming book makes it much clearer.

Win win.

For Sky.

For Walsh.

Unless you wish to name who the "many' are the posters who are "confused" have also not read Walshs articles.
This is the reason I often have to correct them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
What do you mean by "real satisfaction'?
Walsh has queried Brailsford on the hiring of Leinders and all the people you mention several times on the ST.

His answer was not satisfactory. It is simple.

Benotti69 said:

I think there is confusion that Walsh was a investigative journalist who would stop at nothing to get the truth.

He was a fairly run of the mill soports reporter in the UK.

His Armstrong endeavours were fairly basic reporting. The books he wrote weren't very well written and not published in the UK or US (until from L to L).

They were poorly translated from French into English.

Walsh existed primarily as non-cycling sports writer.

He certainly struck gold when Landis outed Armstrong.

Prior to this he really didn't have anything on Armstrong. Very little in fact.

For normal people it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that he was doping. It wasn't hard to tell from 1999 onwards.

Walsh never busted his balls on Armstrong and won't be doing the same on Sky. It would be career suicide to do so.

He's a on a good wicket. Well done to him.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I think there is confusion that Walsh was a investigative journalist who would stop at nothing to get the truth.

He was a fairly run of the mill soports reporter in the UK.

His Armstrong endeavours were fairly basic reporting. The books he wrote weren't very well written and not published in the UK or US (until from L to L).

They were poorly translated from French into English.

Walsh existed primarily as non-cycling sports writer.

He certainly struck gold when Landis outed Armstrong.

Prior to this he really didn't have anything on Armstrong. Very little in fact.

For normal people it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that he was doping. It wasn't hard to tell from 1999 onwards.

Walsh never busted his balls on Armstrong and won't be doing the same on Sky. It would be career suicide to do so.

He's a on a good wicket. Well done to him.

This is interesting.

Because it appears a reversal on what you said on this very thread just recently:
thehog said:
Sounds like Easy Street for Walsh. Big cashola payout. I can see why he might not want to investigate Sky too hard.

Good on him. He deserves it. Time for him to kick back and take the rewards for many years of hard work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23830777

Benotti69 said:

I used to read the Sunday Times a lot. Excellent paper.

It's target market is well educated people so I never understand why Walsh dumbsdown his articles.

I would like to know more about Kerrison and the 6 month peak cycle. Froome's actual weight and how he learnt to do those crazy accelerations. Also how does he produce so much power for his weight.

Walsh has the access, I just like him to dig deeper and explain some of those anomalies in Froome.

The known unknowns, if you will.

Maybe it's all the upcoming book?! :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

It's target market is well educated people so I never understand why Walsh dumbsdown his articles.

I would like to know more about Kerrison and the 6 month peak cycle. Froome's actual weight and how he learnt to do those crazy accelerations. Also how does he produce so much power for his weight.

Walsh has the access, I just like him to dig deeper and explain some of those anomalies in Froome.

I wouldn't hold my breadth.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

What part of the Walsh interview with Kerrison did you not understand or was dumbed down for you?

What anomalies about Froome did Walsh not cover?

sniper said:

Don't worry. Once proved wrong, Walsh took the default position of blaming the French.

david-walsh-tweets.gif

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...kening-irish-fans-on-alpe-dhuez-well-sort-of/

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Don't worry. Once proved wrong, Walsh took the default position of blaming the French.

david-walsh-tweets.gif

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...kening-irish-fans-on-alpe-dhuez-well-sort-of/

Walsh is going on what many at Sky told him at the time. I think there is no doubt there was some Irish fans who behaved like this. This after the apology:

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 26 Jul
2/2: Just spent an hour and a half with Richie Porte in San Sebastien, he says the guys who abused him at Corner 10 were not French.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Walsh is going on what many at Sky told him at the time. I think there is no doubt there was some Irish fans who behaved like this. This after the apology:

Were not French. Wonder how many nationalities turn up to watch the TdF on the roadside? To point the finger without getting the facts shows how far Walsh has deviated from journalism by believing everything Sky tell him.

gooner said:

Print first ask questions later?

Good to know Walsh is living up to ethically high journalistic standards of cross checking the information provided.

Reminds me of recent headline in the Daily Mail - "Muslim Terrorists hold British and Americas civilians hostage in Kenyan Shopping centre".

Nothing like stirring cultural differences to sell print.

I wonder if Porte apologised to the kid he abused on d'Huez who's flag got caught on his break lever when Porte was giving food to Froome and not looking where he was going?

Ugly behavior all round but did Walsh need to point the finger at nationalities?

To the first point. If he got it wrong about about the Irish fans what else has he not fact checked?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Print first ask questions later?

Good to know Walsh is living up to ethically high journalistic standards of cross checking the information provided.

Reminds me of recent headline in the Daily Mail - "Muslim Terrorists hold British and Americas civilians hostage in Kenyan Shopping centre".

Nothing like stirring cultural differences to sell print.

I wonder if Porte apologised to the kid he abused on d'Huez who's flag got caught on his break lever when Porte was giving food to Froome and not looking where he was going?

Ugly behavior all round but did Walsh need to point the finger at nationalities?

To the first point. If he got it wrong about about the Irish fans what else has he not fact checked?

is the dogma he got a chinarello :D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
that's not the point.
The point is walsh is rehashing some of the classic armstrong/usps defense lines.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Were not French. Wonder how many nationalities turn up to watch the TdF on the roadside? To point the finger without getting the facts shows how far Walsh has deviated from journalism by believing everything Sky tell him.

That was based "on multiple conversations" with people at Sky. Read the ST piece and what Walsh said about Alan Farrell speaking to Irish fans the next day. The Irish fans tried to play it off on the French but Porte after Walsh's apology said it wasn't them. I think he would know a French accent if he heard one. I'm sure there was many Irish fans who behaved accordingly but from what has been said on this, I definitely think there was a section of Irish fans that indeed did do this.

gooner said:
I think he would know a French accent if he heard one. I'm sure there was many Irish fans who behaved accordingly but from what has been said on this, I definitely think there was a section of Irish fans that indeed did do this.

350,000 people on a mountain.

Flags from different nationalities, states/cantons, teams and whatever.

Accents, native languages, shouting, cheering, singing, running.

Porte is impressive.

Not only did he manage to drop back to the team car and get some food for Froome then cycle back up 15% mountain to the leaders but according to you was able to dissect linguistics differences in a crowd of people 300,0000+ large.

Smart kid.

More to the point Walsh was wrong. He and Porte kept at it even after the apology to the Irish fans.

Better time would have been spent going into more depth on Leinders, Kerrison, skinny-power and in-saddle comedy accelerations.

Sadly he did not.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
that's not the point.
The point is walsh is rehashing some of the classic armstrong/usps defense lines.

What on earth has this got to do with defending doping allegations with Sky? Do you think we should excuse behaviour like smashing eggs and beers off cars now? These idiots deserve to be shown up for the behaviour irrespective of where they come from.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
350,000 people on a mountain.

Flags from different nationalities, states/cantons, teams and whatever.

Accents, native languages, shouting, cheering, singing, running.

Porte is impressive.

Not only did he manage to drop back to the team car and get some food for Froome then cycle back up 15% mountain to the leaders but according to you was able to dissect linguistics differences in a crowd of people 300,0000+ large.

Smart kid.

More to the point Walsh was wrong. He and Porte kept at it even after the apology to the Irish fans.

Better time would have been spent going into more depth on Leinders, Kerrison, skinny-power and in-saddle comedy accelerations.

Sadly he did not.

Was there 300,000+ at Irish corner?

007.jpg

TRENDING THREADS