• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sniper said:
Some twitterer named wallynomics calling walsh' upcoming xmas book on sky a conflict of interest.

His bank account isn't conflicted :rolleyes:

I say good on him. But can't trust anything he puts to paper now.

He appears in the Gibney film from 2009 only. Apparently he has other irons in the fire more profitable to work for Gibney.

Go Walsh!

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Too bad Dr Mas isnt with us anymore. I would like his take on how Walsh is still not on the Sky bandwagon.

Going to Kenya to have dinner with the Dawg. Doing research for the book? :rolleyes:

Hope he doesnt catch Badzilla.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Is Walsh taking Sky embed too far by having dinner with Froome in Kenya?

Chef Kiran Jethwa ‏@ChefKiranJethwa 11 Nov
awesome having @chrisfroome @DavidWalshST @SkySportsLia @SkyOrla & @michellecound at @ExperienceSeven last night.

**** the hypocrisy ‏@Digger_forum 2h
“@ChefKiranJethwa: awesome having @chrisfroome @DavidWalshST @SkySports @michellecound pic.twitter.com/qiEwSaK9DN” embarrassing.

Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike 55m
@Digger_forum wow, that is embedded...

Lesli Cohen ‏@CyclismasEditor 45m
@SSbike @Digger_forum I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Christopher Holbrook ‏@RenardFantastiq 42m
@CyclismasEditor @SSbike @Digger_forum Sort of bolsters LA's "Walsh taking a global victory lap."

Seems some agree that Walsh has crossed a line.

Benotti69 said:

Seems some agree that Walsh has crossed a line.

Out on a date with Mr. & Mrs. Dawg.

If only Lance took him out for texmex.

I actually don't think too much of it. Just means his articles are puff articles and not to be taken too seriously.

Good on Walsh. Cleaning up. When does he move to Monaco?

thehog said:
it's called "white line fever".
I hope Lemmy recovers quickly from the operation to
fit him with a pacemaker. First time I saw Lemmy he
was standing on top of a bus at the Bickershaw
Festival in May of 1972 (in Wigan!!) when he was
still with Hawkwind...as was the statuesque Stacia!

Kudos to Mr. Walsh for playing the long game. He is
obviously clever enough to know that he must truly
gain the confidence of the riders, WAG's, coaches
and team officials of SKY/21st CENTURY FOX/RAPHA/
PINARELLO if they are ever going to trust him to keep
their EPO or blood-bags in his ice-box.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

I heard he said "hello" to Froome. That's a clear proof he is on the bandwagon.

Also i heard Daniel Benson is calling Horner in the morning. This can mean a lot of things also.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
EnacheV said:
I heard he said "hello" to Froome. That's a clear proof he is on the bandwagon.

Also i heard Daniel Benson is calling Horner in the morning. This can mean a lot of things also.

Sorry, he is having dinner with Familgia Froome. Bit more than a hello, hey?:rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
Sorry, he is having dinner with Familgia Froome. Bit more than a hello, hey?:rolleyes:

Dinner? Walsh can get that anytime anywhere. Its time to see the big five, fully expensed:

170px-Serengeti_Safari_with_Leopard.jpg

Gotta say, Walsh got the perfect retirement job in a dysfunctional business. Good for him.

The Hitch said:
I don't understand what Shane Stokes and Lesli Cohen are saying.

I think the view is that he has become “too close” to the subject that he is writing objectively about. Probably the type of thing Lance would have done in the past. Invite a journalist on a ride to explain how to write his articles better.

Not sure conflict is the right word to use. I feel that there can’t possibly be objective when he is dinning and such with his subjects.

To be honest he’s not the SEC or an auditor. He is a journalist. Many of which do similar. Write lovely articles when being paid to do just that… write lovely articles.

thehog said:
The Hitch said:
I don't understand what Shane Stokes and Lesli Cohen are saying.

I think the view is that he has become “too close” to the subject that he is writing objectively about. Probably the type of thing Lance would have done in the past. Invite a journalist on a ride to explain how to write his articles better.

Not sure conflict is the right word to use. I feel that there can’t possibly be objective when he is dinning and such with his subjects.

To be honest he’s not the SEC or an auditor. He is a journalist. Many of which do similar. Write lovely articles when being paid to do just that… write lovely articles.

So what were they saying:confused:?

The Hitch said:
So what were they saying:confused:?

They are saying Walsh is conflicted. That Walsh won't be able separate himself for his friendship with the Dawgs and his job.

Probably not a big deal to cycling readers. But those in finance, government etc. it's a huge deal.

One only needs to see what happened at NOTW and with Murdoch publications in the Australian elections to have concerns.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
They are saying Walsh is conflicted. That Walsh won't be able separate himself for his friendship with the Dawgs and his job.

Probably not a big deal to cycling readers. But those in finance, government etc. it's a huge deal.

One only needs to see what happened at NOTW and with Murdoch publications in the Australian elections to have concerns.
Germany's ex-Bundespresident has been charged by the state of fraud and bribability on the sole basis that a business friend of his bought him some beers at the Oktoberfest.
so yes, walsh having diner with the dawg is a serious red flag (assuming the Dawg paid the bill).

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Book is coming out soon, right in time for the christmas shopping. Amazing coincidence.

Barking. Wrong tree.

Ghostwriting is a fixed fee arangement. There's no 'commission', so Walsh gets paid exactly the same regardless of whether the book sells 1 copy or one million; the eventual downfall of froome or sky wouldn't change that by a penny.

It's certainly an 'interesting' move, and i'd like to hear his explanation - but presumably it's pretty simple - 'i did my own due diligence during 2013, imbedded - he passed. Simple as.'

Of course, Leinders passed due diliegence too, by all accounts.

YMMV

sniper said:
Germany's ex-Bundespresident has been charged by the state of fraud and bribability on the sole basis that a business friend of his bought him some beers at the Oktoberfest.
so yes, walsh having diner with the dawg is a serious red flag (assuming the Dawg paid the bill).

Yes. Siemens had the same issues. All of the major US banks, Enron etc. all played the same game.

These days regulation (law) forces you to "declare" gifts.

But here you have two employees of News Corp. dining out for dinner. Hard to define a conflict.

As such Walsh should declare the fact. Selling advertising as journalism is illegal.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes. Siemens had the same issues. All of the major US banks, Enron etc. all played the same game.

These days regulation (law) forces you to "declare" gifts.

But here you have two employees of News Corp. dining out for dinner. Hard to define a conflict.

As such Walsh should declare the fact. Selling advertising as journalism is illegal.

Presumably when the book is published it'll have "with David Walsh" right on the cover, or at the very least the front page...that being the usual.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

captured is the term.

TRENDING THREADS