• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rainman said:
Froome bridged solo to Quintana. Contador stayed with him briefly but dropped off when they reached Nieve. The maillot jaune, with the threat contained, for some reason then repeatedly attacked Quintana. Walshes account of it is just fiction, befitting a tourist, but it may sell a few Sky subscriptions I suppose. Porte's supposed shout to 'Froomey' is just so ludicrous, even a schoolboy rider would feel stupid coming out with that, reminded me of Roy of the Rovers. (used to chat to team mates while slamming one in from outside the box)

Walsh has cashed in his chips. I await the true story from some disgruntled ex employee, someone in the cabal, not some obsequious outsider along for the jolly. Then maybe we get to find out what they are all so SMUG about.

Question is why Walsh felt the need to water down the performances?

Clearly he saw what everyone else saw. Why change the events?

He did the same on ax3.

thehog said:
Question is why Walsh felt the need to water down the performances?

Clearly he saw what everyone else saw. Why change the events?

He did the same on ax3.

Well, it's obvious this is nothing more than a long justification of what everybody saw was a performance which outlanced Lance. It's funny, the similarity with Dopestrong's story. In the beginning there were little to none people voicing that Lance might be doped but he chose to do pre-emptive strikes in which he claimed to be clean. Sky is trying desperately to convince everybody that Froome is clean using various methods such as swimming coaches, scientific preparations, downplaying the otherworldly performances, tailwinds and "look at Contador! In this new era he's just a nobody!"

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The teams are presented to the public at a ceremony by the sea in Porto-Vecchio on Thursday. As the previous year’s Tour de France winners, Team Sky are presented last. The team arrives like nine James Bonds atop a large white cruiser which cuts across the port. Some of the riders take photos of the scene ahead with their distinctive iPhones. Chris Froome stands to the side looking out to sea like Columbus who was born here, his Tintin profile peering towards either his destiny or a good spot for the spear fishing he enjoys so much. When the boat hits Porto-Vecchio a ramp descends and the nine Team Sky riders roll down onto the dockside on their Pinarellos. When you were a gangly spotty teenager there was always a tall, smooth, blue-eyed and Brylcreemed boy who turned heads everywhere he went. Team Sky are that boy. Most of you hated him. He knew that but he didn’t mind. You’re only human.
Brilliant stuff, I hope his Froome bio is just as good.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
It's alright you guys. By comparing Sky/Froome to fictional characters in Tintin and James Bond, Walsh is secretly and subliminally indicating that their achievements are 'fictional', i.e. the results of doping.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Libertine Seguros said:
As an aside, why did Suárez get so vilified for what he did in the 2010 World Cup? It was a professional foul, sure, it's blatant cheating and is a red card offence, but I remember seeing back in the 90s on several different occasions players handling the ball on the line to save a goal and those did not create the same kind of backlash. It's a calculated gamble. The handball goals are somewhat different in that they are more premeditated, they're not professional fouls to save a situation, they're professional fouls to create a situation. The Ghanaians can feel they were unfortunate, but Suárez took one for the team. Teams commit deliberate fouls to prevent opposition attacks all the time, his was just more obvious.

Off topic again, but the Suarez stuff was considered particularly offensive because it was so unsportsmanlike. And the other factors- it stopped an African team reaching the semi finals of an African hosted World Cup, Suarez's well earned reputation (even before he joined Liverpool) for being a colossal arsehole; and that 2010 was obviously vastly different to the 1990s, with huge numbers of internet lynch mobs going around blogging attacks based on faux-moral outrage- help explain why it was so overblown compared to say, Messi's handball goal in 2006/07, or even Maradona's World Cup handball goal.

Libertine Seguros said:
As an aside, why did Suárez get so vilified for what he did in the 2010 World Cup? It was a professional foul, sure, it's blatant cheating and is a red card offence, but I remember seeing back in the 90s on several different occasions players handling the ball on the line to save a goal and those did not create the same kind of backlash. It's a calculated gamble. The handball goals are somewhat different in that they are more premeditated, they're not professional fouls to save a situation, they're professional fouls to create a situation. The Ghanaians can feel they were unfortunate, but Suárez took one for the team. Teams commit deliberate fouls to prevent opposition attacks all the time, his was just more obvious.

I'm afraid it's cos he's got a face you just want to punch anyway.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Not that I was expecting a good book by any means, but the snippets I'm reading are just sad.
He might as well have called it Fifty Shades of Sky. I presume it ends with Walsh warmly describing Chris and Michelle's passionate love making session in the cité d'amour after Sky had secured the maillot jaune?

hrotha said:
Not that I was expecting a good book by any means, but the snippets I'm reading are just sad.

Its the Skybots bible.

More comedy?

281ybs5.jpg

2q3nbjo.jpg

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It keeps getting better and better.
The conversation had turned to the coming season and how he felt about riding the Tour de France in the same team as the defending champion, Bradley Wiggins. ‘What I want,’ he said, ‘is to arrive at the start in Corsica with my chance to win the race. Nothing more, nothing less.’ What he didn’t say but wanted you to know is that he would have his chance to win this year, no matter what. His intensity recalled what Apollo Creed said to Rocky Balboa: ‘Now, when we fought, you had that eye of the tiger, man, the edge!’ Two weeks later, Froome rode his first race of the year, the Tour of Oman. On the fourth day he rode well to finish second to Spaniard Joaquim Rodríguez on Green Mountain, took the leader’s jersey and attended to the usual podium, media and anti-doping duties. A car waited to take him the twenty kilometres to the team hotel. ‘The car’s over there,’ someone said. ‘It’s okay, I’ll ride back, a little extra training.’

Eye of the tiger, man. He is the man.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
It keeps getting better and better.
I'm so annoyed by stuff like that. It's written as if Froome is the only rider who'd add a few extra kilometers after riding an early season race. Which is just bull****, and really disrespectful against his opponents. Virtually every rider does this occasionally if they need more volume.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
I'm so annoyed by stuff like that. It's written as if Froome is the only rider who'd add a few extra kilometers after riding an early season race. Which is just bull****, and really disrespectful against his opponents. Virtually every rider does this occasionally if they need more volume.
It is comedy gold this book:
Kerrison moved to Nice this spring. It’s just a thought, but France has the toughest anti-doping laws in the world. If Kerrison were the new dark overlord of doping, well, Nice wouldn’t be the place to fetch up. That stretch of Med from Nice to Monaco has become a home-from-home for the Team Sky lads, though. What the Manchester velodrome was for the track boys and girls, the Riviera is for the road warriors. Richie Porte is in Nice. Froome is up the road in Monaco. G Thomas, Ben Swift, Joe Dombrowski, Ian Boswell, Luke Rowe, Ian Stannard – they are all around. And Team Sky bought a house on the Promenade du Soleil for other riders to drop down to. So between training camps they don’t float unsupervised. They get daily face-to-face guidance and contact. Kerrison has come to appreciate the history and lore of cycling both for better and for worse. The climb in the Med from which Team Sky are building their own database is the Col de la Madone – the ride out from Menton to the Col and then down to Peille. It has been used for a long time, but most famously in recent times by Armstrong and Ferrari in the weeks leading up to a Tour.
Aha! Gotcha. Cuff him, lads.
The taint is inescapable and regrettable, but every working day of his life Kerrison feels Armstrong’s bony claws reaching out from the past and contaminating his present. Kerrison is a scientist though. Armstrong and Ferrari having been on the mountain does nothing to diminish the mountain or its fitness for purpose.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The teams are presented to the public at a ceremony by the sea in Porto-Vecchio on Thursday. As the previous year’s Tour de France winners, Team Sky are presented last. The team arrives like nine James Bonds atop a large white cruiser which cuts across the port. Some of the riders take photos of the scene ahead with their distinctive iPhones. Chris Froome stands to the side looking out to sea like Columbus who was born here, his Tintin profile peering towards either his destiny or a good spot for the spear fishing he enjoys so much. When the boat hits Porto-Vecchio a ramp descends and the nine Team Sky riders roll down onto the dockside on their Pinarellos. When you were a gangly spotty teenager there was always a tall, smooth, blue-eyed and Brylcreemed boy who turned heads everywhere he went. Team Sky are that boy. Most of you hated him. He knew that but he didn’t mind. You’re only human.

My god is that serious? Threw up in my mouth at that excerpt.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
It is comedy gold this book:

I must say I find it hard to believe Walsh is serious with this stuff. He is like a parody of every skybot that has visited the forum in the last year. Kerrison lives in France means they are clean? jeez. lol. Even Taxis4all would get embarrassed by writing stuff like that.

Im looking forward to see if anyone still doesnt think Walsh is on the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

read all about it

thanks! everyone this thread goes on and..............on

most entertaining thread currently on the forum

but really? does anyone expect more from the latest sky book...............without doubt I will NOT be reading

such books are just an opportunity to cash in on sporting success

walsh is just doing his job

Mark L

TRENDING THREADS