• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 211 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
20 years ago, the model might have worked. Just maybe, but not now. No chance.

Anyway I see Walsh as just an average wh0re with a pen in the hand.
cant say i can disagree with this sentiment

wonder what pierre ballester's opinions on the matter are?

double negatives

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
cant say i can disagree with this sentiment

wonder what pierre ballester's opinions on the matter are?

double negatives

Ballester allegedly chooses to ignore the doping in Rugby, his favoured sport....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Wonder does Armstrong kick himself over not being nicer to Walsh.....:D

He could have been the Uk Sally Jenkins for Armstrong......:rolleyes:
but Armstrong exists on conflict. Without conflict, he is not Lance.

I dont even think losing the 7 tours matters a lick. It just gave his life a renewed force.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
but Armstrong exists on conflict. Without conflict, he is not Lance.

I dont even think losing the 7 tours matters a lick. It just gave his life a renewed force.

Nah, i think he was sick to see all these people taking massive kudos and acclaim for taking him down and he got zilch. There was no conflict in that, the battle was lost. The fight against the feds he is probably enjoying and SCA, but he is hardly leading the fight and the media forever now are going to portray him as dope cheat (even though he was not the only one) and i bet that sucks too.

You are right that Armstrong loves conflict, but only conflict where he will win and the odds are stacked in his favour.

Good to have Walsh back to his old tricks again. Apparently now speed and times are a strong indicarion of doping... :rolleyes:

In today's Sunday Times:

v8lg0z.jpg

Too bad that they do not have a tailwind to assist them. :(

Benotti69 said:
You are right that Armstrong loves conflict, but only conflict where he will win and the odds are stacked in his favour.

I disagree with you, he decided to comeback even though he knew that Contador is in much better shape than him and he has pretty much no chance to win TDF unless they decided to shaft Contador, yet he still decided to ride against him.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Good to have Walsh back to his old tricks again. Apparently now speed and times are a strong indicarion of doping... :rolleyes:

In today's Sunday Times:

v8lg0z.jpg

But the most unnatural bike rider of all time is using the most natural methods to ride even faster :rolleyes:

This is why Walsh is great. He is quite sane and logical, unless he talks about sky, then he becomes the alpha bot.

the sceptic said:
But the most unnatural bike rider of all time is using the most natural methods to ride even faster :rolleyes:

This is why Walsh is great. He is quite sane and logical, unless he talks about sky, then he becomes the alpha bot.

Walsh is the bot leader with his bot bible. All bots follow Walsh.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
Too bad that they do not have a tailwind to assist them. :(

I disagree with you, he decided to comeback even though he knew that Contador is in much better shape than him and he has pretty much no chance to win TDF unless they decided to shaft Contador, yet he still decided to ride against him.

I think Armstrong tried to get the old gang back together, Bruyneel, UCI, ASO and Ferrari but didn't calculate how tough Contador was going to be and how UCI and ASO were not prepared to make a positive on Bertie or maybe they tried and Bertie had planned for all eventualities.

Benotti69 said:
I think Armstrong tried to get the old gang back together, Bruyneel, UCI, ASO and Ferrari but didn't calculate how tough Contador was going to be and how UCI and ASO were not prepared to make a positive on Bertie or maybe they tried and Bertie had planned for all eventualities.

You really give everyone too much credit on planning.

That's how it works in the movies, everyone plans things really hard and the story has very intricate plots.

In the real world people are creatures of habbit. Cyclists don't spend 10 years planning how to avoid positives etc.

They act off impulses. Armstrong sees EPO so he dopes. Contador sees EPO so he dopes. Mcquaid sees cycling growing so he protects him. etc.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Agree that doping at Usps and UCIs role in it was all poorly planned.
But times have changed and there's a he'll of a lot of preventative planning behind new age clean teams Sky and Garmin. Programs are much more sophisticated these days.

The Hitch said:
You really give everyone too much credit on planning.

That's how it works in the movies, everyone plans things really hard and the story has very intricate plots.

In the real world people are creatures of habbit. Cyclists don't spend 10 years planning how to avoid positives etc.h

They act off impulses. Armstrong sees EPO so he dopes. Contador sees EPO so he dopes. Mcquaid sees cycling growing so he protects him. etc.

sniper said:
Agree that doping at Usps and UCIs role in it was all poorly planned.
But times have changed and there's a he'll of a lot of preventative planning behind new age clean teams Sky and Garmin. Programs are much more sophisticated these days.

Lessons learnt from USPS is to not talk about doping. Have a marketing arm to your team that touts "clean" riding and select drugs that work in training and have carryover into racing. Do not dope too much at races. Don't transport drugs across borders. Use drugs that are just about in detectable and walk the tightrope of TUE/legal/illegal drugs.

Apparently Walsh now consults on fashion sense. From a man in a floral shirt no less :rolleyes:

Walsh said: "When he's saying basically everyone was doing it, he's being so unfair to the people who rode the 1999 Tour de France and tours over the following years clean - and plenty did.

"And he's being so disingenuous because he knows he has travelled to France and met Christophe Bassons, who was one of the guys riding clean. And he has personally apologised to Bassons, whose career was taken away from him.
"Yet he has the gall to say 'we all did it'."

Bassons, who was not implicated in drug-taking, found it difficult to prosper in the world of cycling in the 1990s after speaking out against doping.

The 40-year-old told BBC Radio 5 live: "I think the fact that he says that he doesn't regret it, and that if he went back to the same time, he'd do it again... I think that shows an honesty.

"When I saw him last year, it wasn't the Armstrong that I knew in the '90s any more.

"Back then, he was strong, he was hard, he would stare you in the eyes; he was brutal, he was strong, and he would never make a mistake. But when I saw him last year, he was alone, he was badly dressed, he avoided eye contact - he didn't seem happy."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/30993315

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:

thats generous like santa claus.

walsh lies like the rest.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Deep down Walsh knows. He is simply protecting himself, he works for the Sunday Times which is owned by Murdoch/News Corp.
and that is the biggest feather in this protection racket. Murdoch owns the media. Sky is the sponsor. It is like the banks on Wall Street capturing the SEC

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
blackcat said:
and that is the biggest feather in this protection racket. Murdoch owns the media. Sky is the sponsor. It is like the banks on Wall Street capturing the SEC

If anything does ever come out about the team. Walsh knows he can always write another book about how he was duped by them, how sophisticated it was etc etc.

Electress said:
Embedding…such an evocative verb. Conjures up a horrible, and yet perhaps not wholly inappropriate image of just where Walsh positioned himself during his 'research'.

haha! it's an awful term alright

sadly it's part of the original Sky M.O. - to get journos on side...kill them with kindness, trips, make them feel important

TRENDING THREADS