• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 251 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

53*11 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
thehog said:
Wiggo's Package said:
Walsh in yesterday's Sunday Times:

- An "I wanted to believe" mea culpa about his blind faith (such a useful trait in a journalist!) in Brailsfraud, Wiggo and Team Sky. Still no criticism of the Dawg. Just an observation that he and Brailsfraud are now closer than they've ever been. Poor David just can't join those final dots...

- Brit team doctor David Hulse who was opposed to "overloading riders with medication" was sacked after the duff 2010 season and given the usual payoff in return for signing an NDA, in came Leinders and Bartolucci to teach Freeman the dark arts (echoes of Prentice Steffen being kicked out of US Postal and replaced by those nice Spanish doctors). In 2013 Sky's sidelined Brit doctors Farrell, Baynes and Usher "ganged up" on Freeman to stop him getting a fourth TUE for Wiggo ahead of the 2013 Tour of Britain. They insisted on a change of team policy so two Sky doctors had to approve Sky's TUE applications. Freeman scuttled off to the all conquering Team GB track squad...

- Team Sky insiders believe Shane Sutton is the source for Lawton's jiffybag story (no *** Sherlock!). However, no one on the team dares to publicly criticise Sutton as they fear Sutton has provided a witness statement to Lawton stating it was triamcinolene in the jiffybag. Sky insiders say Sutton is a "brilliant coach and a loose cannon" and now the cannon is turned on them. Walsh says "in time the truth will emerge"

Sutton was touting the Jiffy bag story around twitter before it got to Lawton. Lawton swapped the story out from a piece on Shane to Wiggins. Nice deal.

Sutton is playing is hand beautifully. Every time he speaks out in defence of Wiggo and Brailsfraud he digs them further in a hole :lol:

And there is some mind-blowing stuff about Sutton, Sky and BC which is not yet in the public domain. The only reason Brailsfraud is clinging on in the face of huge pressure to resign is that he knows that, notwithstanding everything that's already in the public domain, things could get much, much worse :D

even more TUEs?

More juicy than that

Wiggo's Package said:
And there is some mind-blowing stuff about Sutton, Sky and BC which is not yet in the public domain. The only reason Brailsfraud is clinging on in the face of huge pressure to resign is that he knows that, notwithstanding everything that's already in the public domain, things could get much, much worse :D
So let's get this straight: he's not quitting cause the best is yet to come? Isn't that usually why people *** off, so as not to be around when the 'worse to come' comes?

fmk_RoI said:
Wiggo's Package said:
So let's get this straight: he's not quitting cause the best is yet to come? Isn't that usually why people *** off, so as not to be around when the 'worse to come' comes?

Yes let’s get this straight, Lance and Bruyneel kept running away from the sport and they kept dragging them back. The same with Riis and all the other crazing doping people, they never wanted to stick around with things went pear shaped :cool:

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Wiggo's Package said:

Yep, you short on sources with the inside line? Pfft

Brailsfraud has a very, very big ego. He thinks he can BS his way out of anything (well it worked for such a long time, eh). The Murdochs have his back (a la Rebekah). And with friends like Alistair Campbell who needs enemies. So the delusion is strong in that one. And most importantly, he's clinging on to that knighthood, that's a biggy

Wiggo will walk away from the knighthood if he can make the noise stop. Wiggo's 8th autobiography will spill the beans. Brailsfraud will go to his grave spouting MBA grade BS

"If I had been Chris Froome, I would have quit racing once that salbutamol test was published," says Walsh. "Froome should have done that."

"Romain Bardet (AG2R) asked the question:" Does Froome think he can keep on cycling as if nothing happened? "And I agree with that question."

"Everywhere Froome drives, he is followed by a cloud, and until that cloud is not gone, he should not go to competitions, he is too important for this sport."

"I can hardly believe that Froome will not get any punishment, and his predecessors who had too much salbutamol in their bodies were all suspended, and none of them had such a high salbutamol value as Froome."

"I spoke to people from the medical world and I asked them:" How can you have 2,000 milliliters of salbutamol, twice as much as admitted, if you only used the inhaler 8 times in the previous 12 hours? "And the expert said:" That is impossible."

"But how can Chris Froome explain that so that we believe he did not do anything wrong?" I asked. The experts could not answer that question. It will be interesting to see if Froome can prove his innocence.

Sky has crossed the line from ethical to unethical, from moral to immoral, from legal to cheating, because I do not think Wiggins wants those TUE's. needed on a therapeutic level. "

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.3170357

Even more gems (Dutch):
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180328_03435228

Journalist: But what Sky does isn't cheating, it's a gray zone
Walsh: "We disagree on that point. You call it 'legal cheating', for me it's just cheating." ...

Journalist: You were an embedded journalist with Team Sky in the 2013 Tour. You received unlimited access, and afterwards you wrote very clearly that they were clean.
Walsh: "I look back on that with sadness. Today I know I should have said no to that offer. But sky mislead me." ... "I don't think Dave Brailsford is the right man to lead Sky now."

Journalist: Do you think Bradley Wiggins should be stripped of his Tour win?
Walsh: "I would like to see it happen. Even if I don't think he requested that injection" (i.e. Sky management suggested it to him)

Walsh has come a long, long way from the man who defended Sean Kelly and Martin Earley during the Intralipid affair (I wonder if he still thinks what happened there was defensible).
"cyclists' age-old desire to hitch their systems to an outside motor has created perceptions which are hard to change and the picture of a rider being injected leads to one conclusion: doping. It is a mistaken view, out of touch with the realities of modern sport but, for the armchair enthusiast, nothing good comes through the tip of a needle."
A pity he forgot just how far he'd come when he was writing that Sky book: all he had to do was ask them what was in the medicine cabinet. He'd made the contents of that a weapon against LA, was he too scared to ask in case the answer was the same?
Walsh and Ballester, in LA Confidentiel, procured the drugs manifest of one team from the 2000 Tour. It listed one hundred twenty-six products. Six hundred and eighty-four individual packages were detailed, which the authors calculated to amount to seven thousand four hundred and twenty-two individual doses. The 2001 manifest for the same team, which the authors also procured, covered one hundred and nineteen different products. Seven hundred and ninety packages were detailed, which the authors calculated to amount to eight thousand, three hundred and thirty-four doses. This is for a team of nine riders in a twenty-one day race. Do the math on the daily doses yourself.

Walsh and Ballester were minded to recall a comment from Daniel Delegove, the presiding judge at the Festina trial in 2000. Looking at the all the evidence he had heard about the use of drugs in cycling, Delegove declared: "These are not racers, they are cycling test tubes."

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe a a change to thread title as Walsh has admitted it was wrong to embed with Sky. Kimmage told him it would be. So Walsh has admitted he was bandwagoning.

Maybe use the word 'hypocrite' in the thread title...........

Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
Even more gems (Dutch):
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180328_03435228

Journalist: But what Sky does isn't cheating, it's a gray zone
Walsh: "We disagree on that point. You call it 'legal cheating', for me it's just cheating." ...

Journalist: You were an embedded journalist with Team Sky in the 2013 Tour. You received unlimited access, and afterwards you wrote very clearly that they were clean.
Walsh: "I look back on that with sadness. Today I know I should have said no to that offer. But sky mislead me." ... "I don't think Dave Brailsford is the right man to lead Sky now."

Journalist: Do you think Bradley Wiggins should be stripped of his Tour win?
Walsh: "I would like to see it happen. Even if I don't think he requested that injection" (i.e. Sky management suggested it to him)

What an absolute turd this guy is. Anyone with a brain could see what was happening with Sky. He took the money, now he's throwing them under the bus and trying to extract himself from his complicity.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Walsh's late, late transformation from gullible fool to world weary cynic is almost complete - hurrah! :rolleyes:

His article in yesterday's Sunday Times lays it on thick (link to firewalled article below, text from hard copy newspaper):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-brailsford-controversy-clouds-sky-at-giro-ditalia-zqg97cnxh

"Brailsford once explained that his team would never join the MPCC because he couldn't bear to sit in the room with 'some of those guys' who he believed had been involved with historical doping. Now that seems convenient.

As it was convenient to drop the pledge not to hire doctors from the contaminated pool of continental road cycling.

As it was convenient not to mention to doctors within his own team that they were applying for [Wiggin's TUEs in 2011, 2012 and 2013].

As it was convenient too to decide that they couldn't tell the sport's governing body about Josh Edmondson's use of banned injections... to escape the bad publicity of a doping ban.

And so much else that was convenient.. Dr Richard Freeman lost his computer while on holiday. He was then not well enough to appear before a parliamentary committee. As for the testosterone patches... that was just a mistake on the supplier's part."

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
How convenient indeed that Walsh is just now bringing up all that stuff, none of which is new.

And Walsh is just great at repeating his mistakes

He was embedded with Sky for weeks while researching his (shockingly bad) Inside Team Sky book and seems to have adopted a bizarre "pro cycling team wouldn't lie to the famous David Walsh about doping" approach to figuring out what might really be going on. Only recently has he admitted that Brailsfraud and Wiggo pulled the wool over his eyes

But at that point he kept the faith with Froome. Because he'd ghosted the Dawg's (shockingly bad) autobiography and retained the clearly broken not fit for purpose in the first place "pro cyclist wouldn't lie to the famous David Walsh about doping" approach to figuring out what might really be going on

Fool him once, shame on Brailsfraud and Wiggo. Fool him twice, shame on Walshy!

Wiggo's Package said:
hrotha said:
How convenient indeed that Walsh is just now bringing up all that stuff, none of which is new.

He was embedded with Sky for weeks while researching his (shockingly bad) Inside Team Sky book and seems to have adopted a bizarre "pro cycling team wouldn't lie to the famous David Walsh about doping" approach to figuring out what might really be going on. Only recently has he admitted that Brailsfraud and Wiggo pulled the wool over his eyes

But at that point he kept the faith with Froome. Because he'd ghosted the Dawg's (shockingly bad) autobiography and retained the clearly broken not fit for purpose in the first place "pro cyclist wouldn't lie to the famous David Walsh about doping" approach to figuring out what might really be going on

How would you expect Walsh to see anything just shadowing the team ? does everyone think the riders would dope in front of him ? this is a highly secretive regime and we are being told the riders dope themselves and do their own regime....so how could Walsh be expected to witness it ??

There was never an issue of Walsh not actually detecting all the cheating, there was only an issue of Walsh swallowing the PR hook, line and sinker, accepting explanations and dismissing problems with those explanations in ways he didn't apply to other teams and riders.

Cycle Chic said:
Wiggo's Package said:
hrotha said:

How would you expect Walsh to see anything just shadowing the team ? does everyone think the riders would dope in front of him ? this is a highly secretive regime and we are being told the riders dope themselves and do their own regime....so how could Walsh be expected to witness it ??
How about Walsh calling out other riders for their performance as probable dopers but when we witness the alien performances from Sky everything is normal.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

Cycle Chic said:
Wiggo's Package said:
hrotha said:

Have you read Inside Team Sky?

I have and IIRC it opens with Walsh hanging out with the soigneurs and mechanics and asking them if there's anything dodgy going on. They say no and Walsh makes a big deal of that

Walsh then goes on to praise Brailsfraud for being a great leader including explaining how ruthless he is in sacking without a second chance any soigneurs and mechanics who speak out of turn

Do you this where I'm going with this...? Because poor old Walshy didn't!

Wiggo's Package said:
hrotha said:

I’ll grant Walsh the courtesy of not believing anyone fooled him.

red_flanders said:
Wiggo's Package said:
hrotha said:

I’ll grant Walsh the courtesy of not believing anyone fooled him.
Indeed, he knew exactly what he was doing. He wasn't swallowing the PR, he was the PR

Walsh is back in love... and on message :cool:

x4f21k.jpg

Re:

Saint Unix said:
"That means that if there was some wrongdoing at the Vuelta last year, it was a one-off."

Wait, what? How does that make sense in any way? Unique and mentally tough athletes are physically incapable of doping themselves to the eyeballs?

Walsh has even confused his own logic. Looks like some of Dawg’s Giro appearance fee has hit the wallet of Walsh :cool:

Well, that is odd. The supreme athletic abilities and mental toughness only appeared in 2011, and the memories of Nairobian roads only came back this year...or possibly last year when Froome showed an improvement in bike handling skills and descents.

Obviously there was that brief moment 2 weeks ago where a sharp Right hand uphill bend took Froome's mind off Kenya, and he fell off.

TRENDING THREADS