• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Italy: "After the storm, the Tsunami."

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
areas of inquiry

Race Radio said:
You don't make 15 million euros on referrals. There is something much bigger then just interval workouts and telling riders what to take and how to avoid testing positive. Considering that most riders pay in cash the fact that they are able trace 15 million in bank transfers is significant. It points to a much larger operation.

It looks like the doctor may have some 'splaining to do to the Italian tax man. Are the Swiss opening up to the Italians, or is this disclosure the result of an American request? The Swiss have finally stopped their banks from being a tax haven for US tax cheats . . .

The 15 mil looks like the total income for Ferrari over quite a period of time. This is not clear, though. 15 million over 16 years or more doesn't look all that awesome to me--especially if you assume that a big chunk of that period is unchargeable as beyond the SOL and he had a big exclusive contract during that period. Also, his earning potential has diminished greatly since the UCI ban. He's the best at what he does. It wouldn't surprise me that a rider would pay him 50K per year for advice. People pay that much for shrinks and lawyers all the time.

Now, if the doctor was pulling down 15 mil per year . . . That would be another story.

He's had a bulls-eye painted on his forehead for a long time. He's gotta know that any of his clients (save maybe Armstrong) would get a major walk if they could implicate him. He's experienced Simeoni, and I doubt that he wants another experience like that.

Why physically handle PEDs if you've already got big money in the bank? The only PED link that anybody has tried to fix on Ferrari is prescription PEDs. No hint of a link with the illicit illegally imported stuff. I doubt Ferrari is abusing his prescription pad. That would be way too easy to trace. The only other doping technique is withdrawal/transfusion, and any nurse or paramedic could do that cheaply. Why should Ferrari expose himself to that risk? Why should a rider pay to have Ferrari withdraw blood, when it can be done cheaper by another?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
It looks like the doctor may have some 'splaining to do to the Italian tax man. Are the Swiss opening up to the Italians, or is this disclosure the result of an American request? The Swiss have finally stopped their banks from being a tax haven for US tax cheats . . .

The 15 mil looks like the total income for Ferrari over quite a period of time. This is not clear, though. 15 million over 16 years or more doesn't look all that awesome to me--especially if you assume that a big chunk of that period is unchargeable as beyond the SOL and he had a big exclusive contract during that period. Also, his earning potential has diminished greatly since the UCI ban. He's the best at what he does. It wouldn't surprise me that a rider would pay him 50K per year for advice. People pay that much for shrinks and lawyers all the time.

Now, if the doctor was pulling down 15 mil per year . . . That would be another story.

He's had a bulls-eye painted on his forehead for a long time. He's gotta know that any of his clients (save maybe Armstrong) would get a major walk if they could implicate him. He's experienced Simeoni, and I doubt that he wants another experience like that.

Why physically handle PEDs if you've already got big money in the bank? The only PED link that anybody has tried to fix on Ferrari is prescription PEDs. No hint of a link with the illicit illegally imported stuff. I doubt Ferrari is abusing his prescription pad. That would be way too easy to trace. The only other doping technique is withdrawal/transfusion, and any nurse or paramedic could do that cheaply. Why should Ferrari expose himself to that risk? Why should a rider pay to have Ferrari withdraw blood, when it can be done cheaper by another?

the 15 million is only the bank transfers they have traced. Cash and other transfers could be much more. Prescription drugs are controlled substances and are much easier to trace then cocaine.

The information coming out of Italy is this is not a tax case. This is a trafficking case, that touches multiple teams and includes the Balken Mafia. This is the kind of case that sends you away for the rest of your life when you are almost 60.

There may be a good reason what few riders used Shumi in recent years...perhaps he had other businesses to deal with?

MarkvW said:
Tax evasion is the silent killer. There will be no evidence that it is coming, and then Whump! . . . Chrissie gets dragged underwater by the great white.

As Dave Niehaus would say: "My, oh my!"

One can only hope.

Seriously.. do we need to put up with reading the rubbish that this guy, Flicker & Polish constantly put out?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Seriously.. do we need to put up with reading the rubbish that this guy, Flicker & Polish constantly put out?

:) use the report symbol it is beside the number of the post top right hand corner of the post you want to report ;)

jimmypop said:
As I said in PM: I appreciate your position, but I don't care. The sport is a farce, and any discussion of a farce is (you guessed it!) - farcical.

To witness otherwise intelligent people bend logic to rationalize that their hero (Armstrong or other) - whose success has become inherently connected to their own egos - somehow won fair-and-square is beyond me.

We're spending so much time with our fingers in the dung of the dirty, inconsequential details that we often forget the sport is inherently broken from the top down. So, for example, while we while the hours away discussing the transport routes of a rider's B-sample, we happily ignore that said rider was seen to have doped by multiple witnesses. It baffles the mind; most of the discussions here are better suited to a forum on law than a forum on doping in cycling.

There's no sense in taking it seriously any more unless, as suggested previously, we burn it to the ground.

I gave up on the sport long ago; the smart amongst you should do so as well. I know my time is worth more, and I know the sport as it stands isn't worthy of the level of discussion we see here on a regular basis.

Let the circlejerk continue...

+ 1000

Too many people looking at the minutiae rather than the bigger picture.

Too many people as Bob Mould once said who are 'afraid of being wrong'.

With any luck a hard rain's going to fall

pmcg76 said:
Now Savio has been implicated in the ongoing investigation:eek:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/savio-caught-up-in-italian-doping-investigation

No way, Androni are one of the cleanest teams out there and Savio is one of the most upstanding DS, I simply cannot believe this, it truly blows my mind. I think its time to give up on cycling if these guys are doping. Oh wait........

Yes and the accusations date back to 2005.
Now, who's team rode almost everybody into the mountain dust that year, only for those riders to disappear, almost without a trace.................until one reappears in 2011?

Don't tell Ryo.:cool:

Having Stellar Sella back to his old self hardly helps his "I don't know what a ampoule of EPO looks like," defence.

HELL YEAH

Best news ever.

I must admit though I was thoroughly confused by this:
“It’s a vendetta because I didn’t give in to his requests for money for the presumed damages that doping caused him. He went to the anti-doping investigators showing them syringes and phials that he’d kept for six years. But I’m ready to do anything to prove otherwise, including a DNA test,” Savio was reported as saying on the Tuttobiciweb website.
What? What the hell is he talking about? A DNA t- what?

Mellow Velo said:
Yes and the accusations date back to 2005.
Now, who's team rode almost everybody into the mountain dust that year, only for those riders to disappear, almost without a trace.................until one reappears in 2011?

Don't tell Ryo.:cool:

Having Stellar Sella back to his old self hardly helps his "I don't know what a ampoule of EPO looks like," defence.

None of those guys doped. They are all just mentally weak. That explains why they havent performed since.

I am 100% sure of this.

hrotha said:
HELL YEAH

Best news ever.

I must admit though I was thoroughly confused by this:

What? What the hell is he talking about? A DNA t- what?

Yeah i wondered that, maybe one allegation is that Savio passed the epo ampoule, or something like that, to the rider(s) - hence his DNA would be on it?

pmcg76 said:
Now Savio has been implicated in the ongoing investigation:eek:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/savio-caught-up-in-italian-doping-investigation

No way, Androni are one of the cleanest teams out there and Savio is one of the most upstanding DS, I simply cannot believe this, it truly blows my mind. I think its time to give up on cycling if these guys are doping. Oh wait........
Horrible timing...I have almost the entire Androni team on my Giro manager squad!

But this was a huge surprise indeed, who would have thought that the team that earlier this year won a TTT with a team consisting purely of 50 kg climbers, and later had almost their entire team in a 7 man breakway, would be doped. Such a shock.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Horrible timing...I have almost the entire Androni team on my Giro manager squad!

But this was a huge surprise indeed, who would have thought that the team that earlier this year won a TTT with a team consisting purely of 50 kg climbers, and later had almost their entire team in a 7 man breakway, would be doped. Such a shock.

Not that i would trust a single rider, but i think here you forgot that this was a "4th-Class"-Race with a top team. I mean if ManU plays your school team, they would win 100 out of 100 even with their Replacement-Team.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Friend of mine raced for this particular team/ manager around 15-20 yrs ago, wont give exact time don't want to possibly id him, when he returned home in the off season, went training with him and asked him if he was going back to the team next year, his reply was no, because they wanted him to go on their "medical program" and if he didn't he wouldn't have a contract, he decided he'd rather ride clean than go back to italy the next year and his pro career in europe ended just like that. Looks like a leopard never changes it's spots, don't worry about 2005 Giro, it's been going on a lot longer than that!!!!

TRENDING THREADS