• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Italy names world championships teams

Bettini selected Manuel Belletti and Sacha Modolo (Colnago CSF), Daniele Bennati (Leopard Trek), Oscar Gatto and Giovanni Visconti (Farnese Vini- Neri), Francesco Gavazzi (Lampre ISD), Daniel Oss and Elia Viviani (Liquigas Cannondale), Luca Paolini (Katusha) and Matteo Tosatto (Saxo Bank-SunGard).

Wow. I'm suprised there's really no one of these: Petacchi, Basso, Nibali, Scarponi, Cunego... not even Pozatto and Ballan, are they completely out of the form or does it have something to do with Italian antidoping policy?

Martin said:
Bettini selected Manuel Belletti and Sacha Modolo (Colnago CSF), Daniele Bennati (Leopard Trek), Oscar Gatto and Giovanni Visconti (Farnese Vini- Neri), Francesco Gavazzi (Lampre ISD), Daniel Oss and Elia Viviani (Liquigas Cannondale), Luca Paolini (Katusha) and Matteo Tosatto (Saxo Bank-SunGard).

Wow. I'm suprised there's really no one of these: Petacchi, Basso, Nibali, Scarponi, Cunego... not even Pozatto and Ballan, are they completely out of the form or does it have something to do with Italian antidoping policy?
You can stick a fork in Ballan, he's done. Basso? What would he do on this parcours? Nibali and Scarponi are clearly not in the form, the route probably doesn't suit Cunego, and the no former dopers policy eliminates Petacchi (and Basso) from contention.

Bennati, Gavazzi and Visconti are the most likely threats.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
He's basically selected captain Tossato and 8 potential finishers. I suppose Petacchi, Pozzato and Ballan are considered out of form, but climbers would be redundant on this course. IMHO.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Martin said:

Good team. Peta is not allowed on the team and it appears the course does not favor Basso, Nibali, Scarponi, or Cunego.

It would be interesting if they sent Visconti in a late break. Viviani's top end speed is impressive....but can he last over 6 hours? Would expect if it comes down to a sprint Bennati would be their man.

Martin said:

really good team in my opinion, maybe the best we (I'm Italian :D) can send!

Bennati can be the leader, but Modolo is doing really really well and can be a surprise! Oss is an excellent leadout man! and so is Belletti.
The other are all really fast, and they can win from a small group!

I'm just disappointed for Marcato and Ponzi...

That's a nice team indeed. They have stated that Bennati is the captain, though in my opinion they have better options.

The only disappointment is no Ponzi.
Oh yeah, and Cunego as well. He has had a lot of time since TDF to build his form, and he's been great this season. Kinda surprising.

I would have gone with Ponzi, Cunego, Tosatto, Oss, Visconti, Modolo, Bennati, Viviani and then one more. On second thought, maybe both Ponzi and Cunego would be overdoing it, and in that case I'd leave out Cunego, and probably include Gavazzi instead.

Hugo Koblet said:
That's a nice team indeed. They have stated that Bennati is the captain, though in my opinion they have better options.

The only disappointment is no Ponzi.
Oh yeah, and Cunego as well. He has had a lot of time since TDF to build his form, and he's been great this season. Kinda surprising.

I would have gone with Ponzi, Cunego, Tosatto, Oss, Visconti, Modolo, Bennati, Viviani and then one more. On second thought, maybe both Ponzi and Cunego would be overdoing it, and in that case I'd leave out Cunego, and probably include Gavazzi instead.

how Cunego can win in a race like this? he's not fast enough, and to try a solo is almost impossible... I agree with Ponzi (and I will add Marcato), but not with Cunego.

A

Anonymous

Shame Appollonio didnt make it, that would have put Sky, Sorry, GB up to 9 riders. :D

jens_attacks said:
worst team ever for squadra azzura.belgium and other countries will rip it apart and i can see only maybe visconti able to do something but i doubt.
Who will bring you as Bettini?

It's a really young team, but with a lot of good guys. Not champions, yet, but who knew Freire in 1999?

Anyway, you will see also Oss and Bennati in the last group, not only Visconti.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Bettini said since the start of the year that Bennati (after the FCI statement about dopers) would be the leader and he was lucky enough that Bennati actually won 1 (one) race few weeks before the Worlds.

IMHO Bennati doesnt give any security against other major players and Id rather put more faith on Modolo as 1st role and Viviani.

Sad not to see Marcato as he's ever up there compared to other many guys and he was willing to work for the team.

TeoSheva said:
Italy has one guy that could do really well in this race... unfortunately, he's doing the CT :D

...or the others have already been busted...let's not forget the new rule imposed by the FCI that no people busted for doping in the past should ever wear the "maglia azzurra"...

So, all taken into account, this is a really really good team. You've already mentioned the only 2 people that should've probably been there, and those are Ponzi and Modolo. I'd add even Manuel Belletti.

I would've removed Paolini, who seems to completely lack form, and maybe Gatto/Gavazzi...anyway that's it, I think it's still one of the strongest team on the field, much better collectively than, say, Spain or Australia from my point of view...what's really lacking is the big name (who, as said, is not available...)

Pippo_San said:
...or the others have already been busted...let's not forget the new rule imposed by the FCI that no people busted for doping in the past should ever wear the "maglia azzurra"...

So, all taken into account, this is a really really good team. You've already mentioned the only 2 people that should've probably been there, and those are Ponzi and Modolo. I'd add even Manuel Belletti.

I would've removed Paolini, who seems to completely lack form, and maybe Gatto/Gavazzi...anyway that's it, I think it's still one of the strongest team on the field, much better collectively than, say, Spain or Australia from my point of view...what's really lacking is the big name (who, as said, is not available...)

are you referring to Petacchi? I don't think he has a good shape, Bennati did better than him at la Vuelta.

Then, when you sayd Modolo maybe you meant Marcato, and Belletti is in.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Overlooking Marcato does seem a bit crazy as he's a reliable performer in hard races and in an uphill sprint. He wouldn't win, but neither would many others. If someone said that Modolo was looking like a good option as #1 sprinter I would agree, as he seems to be in form at the moment and he had that unexpected 4th at last year's MSR, showing he can handle the distance on a good day. Bennati would possibly be a safer bet to be there at the end, but then the race might not be that hard (I don't think it will). It looks like a team for a broken up race, with fast people that can be placed in different moves. I don't really see the point in taking Bennati, Modolo, Belletti and Viviani though: they don't ride in breaks, and mostly they don't do lead outs either.

Marcato and Gavazzi/Gasparotto for Belletti and Viviani. I fact, there are ten names, so Marcato in, Belletti and Viviani out.

Respect to Bettini's decision, but this is a cycling forum.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
You can stick a fork in Ballan, he's done. Basso? What would he do on this parcours? Nibali and Scarponi are clearly not in the form, the route probably doesn't suit Cunego, and the no former dopers policy eliminates Petacchi (and Basso) from contention.

Bennati, Gavazzi and Visconti are the most likely threats.

Scarponi is an ex doper.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
best chance for italy sacha modolo

he has a great winning streak, ha can manage the distance ( 4th at Sanremo in his first year as a pro), he has the speed to sprint, he can be un a small group.

maltiv said:
Pozzato is always good in uphill finishes so I'm surprised they didn't even include him. They can't know the course very well when they chose guys like Viviani instead.

He rules himself out. From Bettini:

"Pozzato was under special consideration but he called me and said: ‘Before you call me, I wanted to call you and say that I don’t deserve to be picked.’ I think that was the gesture of a campione and of a real man.”

TRENDING THREADS