• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

It's all a bit Lord of the Flies!

The road forum has some what degenerated in my opinion.

A few random thoughts...

There seem to be different views about the issue of multiple threads on the same topic - personally I find it irritating - but I know others are less bothered. I don't mind threads wandering and meandering off topic - it's kind of like real conversations. The big issue for me is the way threads degenerate into childish insult fests.

I would like to see more active moderation of multiple threads and a firmer hand with posters who only seem intersted in picking fights with each other. I have seen the forum try to self moderate but it doesn't seem to be working.

Finally I think the treatment of new posters is pretty shameful - I don't see why we can't manage this kind of bullying a little better too.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
First time poster here. Whenever I need a good laugh I either go to CNN and read some of the liberal comments or I come here. From the way many on this forum act, you'd think they were attending a Code Pink or ACORN rally. Nice company to keep fellas. Workers of the world unite!

What kind of incentive do I have to contribute if I'm going to be shouted down for my low post count? Or the fact that my opinion differs from somebody else's?

I laugh whenever I see a "share the road" bumper sticker and think of the commentors here . . . "share" isn't in your vocabulary.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
RoscoePC said:
First time poster here. Whenever I need a good laugh I either go to CNN and read some of the liberal comments or I come here. From the way many on this forum act, you'd think they were attending a Code Pink or ACORN rally. Nice company to keep fellas. Workers of the world unite!

What kind of incentive do I have to contribute if I'm going to be shouted down for my low post count? Or the fact that my opinion differs from somebody else's?

I laugh whenever I see a "share the road" bumper sticker and think of the commentors here . . . "share" isn't in your vocabulary.

Apropos of nothing.

I agree with 180mm regarding some posters who could use a bit more moderation. Some have actually been talked to and brag about it like it is some badge of honor. Seriously, I think alot of newer people with valuable insight to contribute could be scared off.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
psychlist said:
Apropos of nothing.
Not quite. Much as you point out below, folks who hold non-liberal views tend to get berated because of said views, whereas the liberal poster can interject any slur irrespective of how inappropiate or even how inaccurate such slur may be. That was the primary reason I left the VN forum after years of activity.

I agree with 180mm regarding some posters who could use a bit more moderation. Some have actually been talked to and brag about it like it is some badge of honor. Seriously, I think alot of newer people with valuable insight to contribute could be scared off.
Not just new contributors.

When we run across uncalled for comments, we ought to let the poster know. And do so with dignity, irrespective of whether said poster is a 'friend' or an 'enemy'. Especially if the poster is a 'friend' in fact. Too often our 'friends' go too far berating posters offering differing views while we sit idly by.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Can we please keep politics of this board? Or perhaps set up a separate area for it to be discussed?

Liberals, Conservitives neither has a monopoly on fools.