• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

It's becoming a sport for spoiled brats

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a quote from Sastre about all the "fair play" stuff that happened during the tour. He states that waiting all the time is not part of the sport and only ensures that the sport becomes one for spoiled brats. Although he himself does not want to go into debate about it, he thinks that in the case of crashes and mechanicals there need not be any reason for the peloton to stop.

And while we had the thread concerning the chain of Schleck, this one is more general, not concerned with any one instance. But is the entire thing concerning "fair play" getting a bit out of hand, are mechanicals and crashes not just part of the sport and something they need to keep in mind.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
And he was right.

This crap of waiting for people, neutralizing the race, etc. ruins the spectacle and excitement. How much more exciting would this Tour have been if the Schlecks and others had lost a bundle of time early on? At the very least, there would no longer be track stands on a fvcking mountain.

Indurrey said:
And he was right.

This crap of waiting for people, neutralizing the race, etc. ruins the spectacle and excitement. How much more exciting would this Tour have been if the Schlecks and others had lost a bundle of time early on? At the very least, there would no longer be track stands on a fvcking mountain.

Totally agree. They waited for Schleck when he was not in yellow and then had to wait when he was ? Compared to the bedlam and uncertainty in the Giro, I know which I prefer. The Giro was still a better race but this year's Tour was more interesting than last year's dull event. Sastre is just saying what other riders want to say. It's not a charity ride.

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thats because he is losing

I bet if it would be him he would not be saying the same thing.

I think it was a cheap move on how to recover his lost time, Contador was cheap on his move...

We know there is no regulation, LAW, or testament stating a rider must wait for the yellow jersey.

Let me give you the big picture, when you watch racing event like Pinks All Out, the proper thing to do is wait for the contender/opponent and give him time to repair any malfuctions. What do they always say, "I want it to be a fair race", "I want to earn it".

There is much more than just waiting for the yellow jersey than just been polite and having some ettiquete, hey even the spectators when Contador was handed the yellow jersey showed there sentiment.

All I can say Contador has no bragging rights than what I have said in other postings, than to say he has more luck than a blind squirrel who just made it through a ten lane highway at rush hour...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
GrizzlyMan said:

I think it was a cheap move on how to recover his lost time, Contador was cheap on his move...

We know there is no regulation, LAW, or testament stating a rider must wait for the yellow jersey.

Let me give you the big picture, when you watch racing event like Pinks All Out, the proper thing to do is wait for the contender/opponent and give him time to repair any malfuctions. What do they always say, "I want it to be a fair race", "I want to earn it".

There is much more than just waiting for the yellow jersey than just been polite and having some ettiquete, hey even the spectators when Contador was handed the yellow jersey showed there sentiment.

All I can say Contador has no bragging rights than what I have said in other postings, than to say he has more luck than a blind squirrel who just made it through a ten lane highway at rush hour...

Sastre was also talking about yesterday when Contador said that Sastre should not attack as someone fell, that person was Sanchez. He also says that he himself had this year, during both the giro as well as the tour, multiple crashes and mechanicals, yet none waited for him, nor did he think they should've. So your statement that he would state otherwise if it was him, is factually wrong
This thread is also not only about this tour, and especially not solely about the dropped chain and the second stage, but the general direction the sport appears to be going and that is, especially according to Sastre, to a sport where everyone needs to wait for everyone, and thus a sport for spoiled whiny brats

BTW what other posting? have I responded to another sockpuppet?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
GrizzlyMan said:

Let me give you the big picture, when you watch racing event like Pinks All Out,

That's not going to happen..

Really, i hope that makes you feel better. I guess that is how he won all three Grand Tours in a row.
As was seen yesterday, Shlek was not dropping Bertie. There is not much point in these discussions anymore. The conversation happened yesterday on the mountains, not on the internet in the virtual reality that exists here.

GrizzlyMan said:

And this is your first post. How puzzling?

Who you might be?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
smoking roach said:
Who's acting like a baby or "spoiled brat"?
"Nobody every waits for me":mad:waaahh!
He should put his pacifier back in when he feels like crying like that.

Don't be dense. He's not asking that they wait for him; he's lamenting that they're asking racers to wait for every little mishap.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Indurrey said:
Don't be dense. He's not asking that they wait for him; he's lamenting that they're asking racers to wait for every little mishap.

Who's "asking racers to wait for every little mishap"? Stage 2 and Chaingate were unique situations, All this extrapolation over these "waiting" questions is crazy.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
GrizzlyMan said:

A unique perspective on what it takes to finish a Tour, let alone win one. At least the Blind Squirrel was nimble enough to keep his chain on.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
smoking roach said:
Who's "asking racers to wait for every little mishap"? Stage 2 and Chaingate were unique situations, All this extrapolation over these "waiting" questions is crazy.

the situation with Sammy Sanchez yesterday?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
smoking roach said:

If stage 2 and Chaingate were unique situations he was right to not wait when Samu had crashed.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
neineinei said:
If stage 2 and Chaingate were unique situations he was right to not wait when Samu had crashed.

Yes, I agree, Carlos was right to go for it. I just don't like the (nobody ever waited for me in my career) tone.

BTW, anybody find any footage of Sanchez's crash? I've only seen the aftermath at it was certainly ugly. What a great ride by Sanchez yesterday.
Hoping he keeps podium...

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I think Sastre is correct. Waiting for every little thing is not sport either.

In the case of waiting for Schlek when his chain jammed it was game on. He attacked. If it was just a jam while riding tempo, Schlek may have had a case, but Schlek attacked and it was game on.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
More Sastre quote

My translation skills are limited, but it's something like this.

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/sastre-ciclismo-patranas-ninatos/dasclm/20100723dasdaicic_6/Tes

"I think we are turning cycling into a children's fabrication ("patraña de niños"). Whoever wants to make controversy of this matter, let them do so freely. I have fallen in this Tour, I have fallen in the Giro, I have had mechanicals, and nobody has ever waited for me. When you do a children's cycling, that's what happens in these circumstances."

He was also quoted as saying that as soon as AC told him he was stopping Astana to wait for Sammy Sanchez, Sastre said "oh yeah? good," and attacked directly.

Sastre is absolutely right. This is a race, not a criterium. Menchov has reason to feel aggrieved. This year, the race was not decided on the roads. Gamesmanship and the shameless abuse of so-called "traditions" decided the Tour. It's cheating by any other name.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
the situation with Sammy Sanchez yesterday?

If Sammy was in yellow when he crashed, and the person in second place ATTACKED when Sammy was down - that would be ok?

There are very few instances of a second place rider ATTACKING a Yellow Jersey while the Yellow crashed, took a pee or feed, or had a mechanical.

Can anyone name another time that happened besides this year?
I'm sure it has, just cannot recall....

PS, Yellow Jersey wearer Jaan Kirsipuu made it across the Passage du Gois and held on to his Yellow back in 1999...

Polish said:
If Sammy was in yellow when he crashed, and the person in second place ATTACKED when Sammy was down - that would be ok?

There are very few instances of a second place rider ATTACKING a Yellow Jersey while the Yellow crashed, took a pee or feed, or had a mechanical.

Can anyone name another time that happened besides this year?I'm sure it has, just cannot recall....

PS, Yellow Jersey wearer Jaan Kirsipuu made it across the Passage du Gois and held on to his Yellow back in 1999...
Sylvain Chavanel in stage 3 of this Tour. Nobody waited for him when he flatted while Andy and Fabu attacked the cobbles like maniacs.

I know it could be different situation but you asked anyway.:)

TRENDING THREADS