• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Its own thread; Contador to stay with Astana

Status
Not open for further replies.
News just in..... Promesa del Tour.

___

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/...asdaicic_1/Tes

Kazakhstan’s parliament approved yesterday a budget for continued financing of Astana, the team of Tour de France 2009 winner Alberto Contador, reports Spanish sports journal as.com.

The move has come just in time for the team to submit all the paperwork to the UCI by today's deadline in order that their ProTour license be renewed. Economic issues were the main problem and it already seems to be arranged.

It’s not the solution that Contador liked best. He had preferred to gain the liberty to move to another team (he has offers from Caisse d’Epargne, Garmin and Quick Step), but if Astana has a ProTour license, he will have to fulfill the remaining year on his contract.

In any case, Contador took advantage of the Tour presentation to have an aside with the director of the race, Christian Prudhomme, who guaranteed Contador that he would dispute the Tour whatever his team might be.

If he remains with Astana, as current conditions indicate, his problem will be to count on a solid team to defend him in the Tour

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
true, it's so hard to trust sources that arent THE source. Take all the British papers confirming everytime it's mentioned that Wiggin's is riding for Sky (unless i've missed something)

thehog said:
If he remains with Astana, as current conditions indicate, his problem will be to count on a solid team to defend him in the Tour

In my opinion anything will be better than this year for him. Even if he only had 8 juniors riding for him it would still be better than being on a team that was riding more against him than for him.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Union Cycliste Internationale president Pat McQuaid told Cycling Weekly during the Gran Gala awards evening in Italy that Contador has made a mistake of naming today as a key deadline for his future.

The Astana team only has to supply basic details and guarantees for today's deadline such as naming sponsors and a minimum of 12 riders. McQuaid explained that Contador would only be free to change teams today if those requirements were not met. Otherwise Astana's ProTour application would then continue and would be decided by the UCI licence commission in several weeks' time.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/427352/contador-hopes-to-end-astana-contract-today.html

krebs303 said:
Union Cycliste Internationale president Pat McQuaid told Cycling Weekly during the Gran Gala awards evening in Italy that Contador has made a mistake of naming today as a key deadline for his future.

The Astana team only has to supply basic details and guarantees for today's deadline such as naming sponsors and a minimum of 12 riders. McQuaid explained that Contador would only be free to change teams today if those requirements were not met. Otherwise Astana's ProTour application would then continue and would be decided by the UCI licence commission in several weeks' time.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/427352/contador-hopes-to-end-astana-contract-today.html

Well I would say that met those requirements. I always thought a minimum of 23 riders were required, but I stand corrected. AC is with Astana until 2010. I predict he will be one of the (if not the first) transfer announced in 2010.

krebs303 said:

So once again McQuaid shows his incompetence. In what way can it possibly be a good thing for a team to have to wait until sometime in November (or even later) to learn whether it has a ProTour license? It is asinine.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
So once again McQuaid shows his incompetence. In what way can it possibly be a good thing for a team to have to wait until sometime in November (or even later) to learn whether it has a ProTour license? It is asinine.

In the way that it helps LA to screw with AC.

But yeah, I agree with you that Pat's bias is showing.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
well said

ingsve said:
In my opinion anything will be better than this year for him. Even if he only had 8 juniors riding for him it would still be better than being on a team that was riding more against him than for him.

A slight exaggeration but you make a good point, like St Matthew Chapter 12: "He who is not with me is against me"

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's looking to me like AC will stay with Astana.

I still think Astana can put together a decent enough team to support AC. If Vino gets back in shape, he'd be an excellent lieutenant if he's serious about supporting AC. Certainly the equal of Levi or Kloden. Keep Zubeldia and add Simoni and I don't see a problem at all.

richwagmn said:
It's looking to me like AC will stay with Astana.

I still think Astana can put together a decent enough team to support AC. If Vino gets back in shape, he'd be an excellent lieutenant if he's serious about supporting AC. Certainly the equal of Levi or Kloden. Keep Zubeldia and add Simoni and I don't see a problem at all.

I think that's right. What Astana needs to do is a real charm offensive to get AC on board mentally as well. Never understood why they were trying to force him to be where he doesn't want to be. Can't be good for the sponsors. Btw, does anyone know what bike they will be riding next year? I assume Trek is out of the picture.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
So the news today is that there is no news.

A decision may not be forthcoming until November? So if Astana folds Contador & Vino have to find new teams - which they should.
However the real disgrace here is the rest of the team will struggle to find teams as rosters are already filled and budgets spent.

Just to put this in perspective - Bbox Telecom have a sound financial footing, full roster, proper management team, absolutely no whiff of scandal or any violations of the ethical code, achieve results in line - or better - then their financial clout and get kicked to the kerb.

Astana - the KCF have the licence (the same KCF that gave Vino a 1 year sanction that the UCI had to go to CAS and get extended), did not pay their riders throughout the season, have dubious financial guarantees, have 12 riders, are hiring Martinello as DS.... and the UCI is still considering their inclusion?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think that's right. What Astana needs to do is a real charm offensive to get AC on board mentally as well. Never understood why they were trying to force him to be where he doesn't want to be. Can't be good for the sponsors. Btw, does anyone know what bike they will be riding next year? I assume Trek is out of the picture.

Haven't heard anything about bikes for next year.

For sure Trek follows LA (something about a lifetime contract) but I don't understand why a company of their size can only sponsor one pro-tour team? Certainly if Trek wants to add to their "tour" wins, they'd need to go with AC next year.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Eddy Merckx.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
However much Pat McBent and his paymaster Pharmstrong want to screw with Contador he will either a) have a strong team with Astana or b) go to any of a number of teams queueing up to sign him.

Do GeriShack not realise that all Contador has to do is stick to Armstrong's wheel like a limpet and then drop him like a bad smell on the climbs? One trick pony Boss Hog simply have no answer for AC's superior ability, end of.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
However much Pat McBent and his paymaster Pharmstrong want to screw with Contador he will either a) have a strong team with Astana or b) go to any of a number of teams queueing up to sign him.

Do GeriShack not realise that all Contador has to do is stick to Armstrong's wheel like a limpet and then drop him like a bad smell on the climbs? One trick pony Boss Hog simply have no answer for AC's superior ability, end of.

True, but you forgot LA's superior twittering abilities.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

i heard they allready had a 3 year deal with merckx ,and i believe it will be campag drivetrains.......also the new bikes are produced in collaboration with pinarello

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This whole mess is just ugly. The delay was perhaps understandable while Astana lacked backing and Bruyneel was still there officially, doing who knows what to poach riders and generally hinder progress. But this continued uncertainty is ridiculous. None of the riders should be treated like this.....and certainly not by their own organization.

Dr. Maserati said:
Astana - the KCF have the licence (the same KCF that gave Vino a 1 year sanction that the UCI had to go to CAS and get extended)

To be fair, most national fed's are more lenient on their own riders (Ricco as an example)

Dr. Maserati said:
are hiring Martinello as DS

They're getting that French guy who ran Festina after 98 now (on the UCI's advice). That probably helped curry favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS