• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Its own thread; Contador vs Shleck in the Ardennes Classics?

Despite not knowing exactly which team he will be riding for in 2010, Tour de France champion Alberto Contador is already planning which races he rides in the build up to his title defence. Already having confirmed that he will be missing the Giro d’Italia, Contador confirmed in an interview on French television that he would like to ride the Ardennes classics of Fleche Wallonne and Liege-Bastogne-Liege at the end of April.

The Spaniard will not, he says, be looking to win either race – although the short sharp hills would likely suit his climbing prowess – but will be taking the opportunity of familiarising himself with the terrain covered in the early stages of the Tour de France. Unsurprisingly though, he has no plans to take in the cobbled classics of the Ronde van Vlaanderen or Paris-Roubaix to get to know the cobblestones that the race will also traverse come July.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2078/Contador-looks-to-Ardennes-Classics.aspx

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
it's a mistake not to dabble in the cobbles. bruyneel will be looking to exploit any weakness and that could certainly be one if he doesn't do his homework...

A

Anonymous

I think he could make Fleche interesting if it comes down to the usual slog up the Mur d Huy, given his light weight and substantial power he could get on the podium there, but will most likely just take it easy all race as he says.

As for skipping the cobbles, I think good and bad. Good becoz he doesn't want to injure himself in flanders, but bad becoz it would be good race preparation/practice for the tour.

I agree, the 'stronger' body riders will try and expose him on the cobbles, which I think is awesome that they include these in a 'climbers' parcours such as the tour. If the teams push him on the cobbles then I think guys like LA, Cadel, Menchov, LL, Kreuziger can make up a small amount of time on the smaller climber types, AC, AS, Sastre. That said, I would hate to see someone lose the tour from a crash/broken bone in the cobbles, but I think it's an excellent inclusion by the ASO to mix things up

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
A classic race has a lot different tatics than a mountain stage. AC has never done one in his life. You can't just jump away on the Mur De Huy. It's a slogfest.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Contador is going to enter a race and isn't going to try to win? That would be a new tactic for him wouldn't it? I can't replay all his races in my head, but I think he tries to win them all, at least from Paris/Nice onward. My earliest memory of him is from that year he won PN on the last day, out of the saddle, jammin' for the win. I've got it right, no? So, to enter Leige just to pedal around while Valverde and Evans and Schleck give it a real go just doesn't like the AC I've got tucked away.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
I think he could make Fleche interesting if it comes down to the usual slog up the Mur d Huy, given his light weight and substantial power he could get on the podium there, but will most likely just take it easy all race as he says.

As for skipping the cobbles, I think good and bad. Good becoz he doesn't want to injure himself in flanders, but bad becoz it would be good race preparation/practice for the tour.

I agree, the 'stronger' body riders will try and expose him on the cobbles, which I think is awesome that they include these in a 'climbers' parcours such as the tour. If the teams push him on the cobbles then I think guys like LA, Cadel, Menchov, LL, Kreuziger can make up a small amount of time on the smaller climber types, AC, AS, Sastre. That said, I would hate to see someone lose the tour from a crash/broken bone in the cobbles, but I think it's an excellent inclusion by the ASO to mix things up

At least Schleck said he will ride the Ronde van Vlaanderen.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The cobbles are one stage getting blown out of all proportions - Contador is far better to acquaint himself with the terrain that will be covered in a few stages than risk a stupid injury

As for a proper, full on Contador v Schleck Ardennes match up - that would be v tasty but unlikely to happen

Hammerhed said:
Contador is going to enter a race and isn't going to try to win? That would be a new tactic for him wouldn't it? I can't replay all his races in my head, but I think he tries to win them all, at least from Paris/Nice onward. My earliest memory of him is from that year he won PN on the last day, out of the saddle, jammin' for the win. I've got it right, no? So, to enter Leige just to pedal around while Valverde and Evans and Schleck give it a real go just doesn't like the AC I've got tucked away.

He did give up going for the win at Dauphne as he instead decided to become a domestique for Valverde just to stick it to Evans once again.

A

Anonymous

i find it interesting that a rider who doesnt know where he will be next year is already saying which races he is going to... the sort of arrogance we normally get from the texan.. i think he should wait and see who his boss is before he starts deciding what he is doing..

unless of course he knows where he will be next year...

(why does every thread round here start with its own thread?)

dimspace said:
i find it interesting that a rider who doesnt know where he will be next year is already saying which races he is going to... the sort of arrogance we normally get from the texan.. i think he should wait and see who his boss is before he starts deciding what he is doing..

unless of course he knows where he will be next year...

Just so you know what he did and did not say:

Contador also admitted that he will not take part in the Giro d'Italia in 2010. "I will pretty much only think of the Tour de France for next year," he said. A change in his programme could see him ride the Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège, "but it's difficult for me to make a plan until I know which team I will ride for," he said.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-awarded-the-velo-dor-in-paris

dimspace said:

I thought I was just the ignorant one for not knowing why that is. Glad to have the company.

I really don't see this topic splintering off some other thread although many things are brought up on each thread. And all threads seem to end up with Lance/JB suck in some form or fashion.

But when I get the nerve to initiate a thread, I will be sure to title whatever it is with "Its own thread...."

"Its own thread merino wool versus polypropylene....."
"Its own thread Performance Bicycle is the ruin of the local bike shop."

"I absolutely do not consider him a danger to my own position [on the team]. He would be an incredible asset to our team. I expect absolutely no problems between us," explained Valverde.

After winning the Vuelta for the first time, Valverde will look to repeat his win in 2010 and also target the Spring Classics.

But in order for Spain's top two riders to ride for the same team they must first overcome a couple of big hurdles.

Contador is currently signed with Astana through 2010 and the team has refused to release him from his contract. And while the International Cycling Union has said a blunder by Astana management with the ProTour paperwork has given the Spaniard a way out, he hasn't been quick to jump for the exit.

Currently Contador is being very careful with his words, and his tact during the situation will serve him well regardless of the team he rides for next season.

The second obstacle that could prevent the Spanish duo from riding together is Alejandro Valverde's appointment with the Court of Arbitration in Sport on November 16th to defend his case against the two-year doping ban imposed by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI).

CONI have banned Valverde from racing on Italian soil based on a positive DNA match between his blood, that was taken from a 2008 Tour de France stage that finished in Italy, and blood bags seized during the Operación Puerto raids in Madrid in May of 2006.

TRENDING THREADS