• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

It's sad...

...when a great sporting event like the Tour descends into a slimy pit of grubby politics, hatred and racism.
We should be celebrating the many positives of Le Tour, which I consider rates above both the Olympics and the World Cup in football. It is the one sporting event I really look forward to experiencing every year. As a cyclist, I identify with the Tour cyclists when they are swapping turns on a long flat, climbing and descending.
Things don't always turn out the way we would like, but this is an illustration of the unpredictability of cycling and the winners generally deserve to be there. The day-to-day struggle of the riders is a huge attraction of the event.
Another big positive is being able to see the spectacular French countryside along with its history and culture up close each day.
In this Tour we can also be thankful there wasn't a drug bust, so the haters of the sport can STFU for another year.:D

sienna said:
...when a great sporting event like the Tour descends into a slimy pit of grubby politics, hatred and racism.
We should be celebrating the many positives of Le Tour, which I consider rates above both the Olympics and the World Cup in football. It is the one sporting event I really look forward to experiencing every year. As a cyclist, I identify with the Tour cyclists when they are swapping turns on a long flat, climbing and descending.
Things don't always turn out the way we would like, but this is an illustration of the unpredictability of cycling and the winners generally deserve to be there. The day-to-day struggle of the riders is a huge attraction of the event.
Another big positive is being able to see the spectacular French countryside along with its history and culture up close each day.
In this Tour we can also be thankful there wasn't a drug bust, so the haters of the sport can STFU for another year.:D

Racism? THEY'RE ALL WHITE.

Well, except Arashiro, but nobody's said anything bad about him.

I haven't seen a single racist comment.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
sienna said:
I've seen some comments that could be considered racist, but you can take it out if you like.:D

if you have "seen them" then post them. If you have heard them then share them

please don't play the morality card and cry wolf with no evidence and no solution.

Was it the "Rising Sun" comment by Phil in relation the the Japanese sprinter?

BTW I counted 2 total Euro-African or African Americans in the crowd on all the telecast. One was riding his bike up a hill with Bob Roll.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
sienna said:
Hey, I've just seen an excellent Tour, despite the relatively poor showing of my countrymen.
Who's negative? The sun is shining and I'm going out for a spin in the country.:D

you should have said the sun is rising

Boeing said:
if you have "seen them" then post them. If you have heard them then share them

please don't play the morality card and cry wolf with no evidence and no solution.

Was it the "Rising Sun" comment by Phil in relation the the Japanese sprinter?

BTW I counted 2 total Euro-African or African Americans in the crowd on all the telecast. One was riding his bike up a hill with Bob Roll.
I was not referring to the commentary – more some of the comments in this forum.:D

I don't get it? Most of the discussions that could be deemed negative regarding doping here are rooted in cleaning up the sport, something anyone with an objective eye could see as being killing cycling like the plague. While we can be thankful there were no drug busts, the real problem is a need for overhauling the system that all but allows riders to dope in the first place, and the failure to catch those who do. Does this assertion make me a hater?

Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't get it? Most of the discussions that could be deemed negative regarding doping here are rooted in cleaning up the sport, something anyone with an objective eye could see as being killing cycling like the plague. While we can be thankful there were no drug busts, the real problem is a need for overhauling the system that all but allows riders to dope in the first place, and the failure to catch those who do. Does this assertion make me a hater?

Yes in fact it does, and it is the part about overhauling the system that tips you as a hater. Over the past year the 'fanboy' doping manifesto has morphed from "Lance is clean, he's the most tested.....the bad apples are being weeded out......cycling is much cleaner..." to "we know they are all doing it and they always have so it's fair and we don't have a problem with it".
It is the simple fact that you think something should be done about it that makes you a hater now.
Oddly enough as the pressure on Armstrong increases they seem more and more to want to revise their stand to the never tested positive...most tested... paradigm. Thinking I guess that we either won't notice or are so few that we don't matter.

TRENDING THREADS