• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

It's spelled: P-E-L-O-T-O-N

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
That is not as bad as japanese CDs labeled "Eric Crapton."

3_234.jpg

May 23, 2011
Visit site
gregod said:
i have an idea. can the incorrect spelling(s) of peloton be added to the word filter?

Right after loose. Peloton I can understand. It is a foreign word. But I cannot understand how anyone can spell lose as loose. Everyone who reads cycling sites like cyclingnews would have seen it spelled correctly hundreds of times in race reports and articles. How do they come up with two Os. It is not just cycling sites. About 80% of the English speaking internet users spell it wrong. A line has to be drawn. I say we add this to the TdF rules on CN. One strike for every use of loose in place of lose.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Right after loose. Peloton I can understand. It is a foreign word. But I cannot understand how anyone can spell lose as loose. Everyone who reads cycling sites like cyclingnews would have seen it spelled correctly hundreds of times in race reports and articles. How do they come up with two Os. It is not just cycling sites. About 80% of the English speaking internet users spell it wrong. A line has to be drawn. I say we add this to the TdF rules on CN. One strike for every use of loose in place of lose.

+1X10^googol

that drives me nuts. "would of" instead of "would have", too.

Well, there's this thing called homophones...

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I always assumed both had /z/. Are native speakers confusing them in the spoken language as well? Semantically, they're not that far apart.

Nope, not in my experience. They sound quite different. I don't know why so many people are confused by the spelling.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
yes, you are being over pedantic

there are many people here whos first language isnt english (or french), there are people here who cant spell or maybe have learning difficulties.

As long as you can understand what they are saying who gives a crap if they spell a few words wrong.

totally agree, big deal if someone occasionaly posts a word wrong.
As long as you know what one means.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
TeamSkyFans said:
As long as you can understand what they are saying who gives a crap if they spell a few words wrong.
totally agree, big deal if someone occasionaly posts a word wrong. As long as you know what one means.

Well, that isn't the argument I was making in the OP. I fully understand that some people may have learning impairments, or English is a second language, or they're inputing from a smartphone, or they're at work and in a hurry, or whatever. I get that. I never said anything about "a few words," I only mentioned one: Peloton. It's out of respect for the sport, that's all.

Given all the possible reasons I just mentioned above, just consider this thread a Public Service Announcement of sorts. Now they know! :D

And since it already has more views, in only a few days, then the Forum Rules & Guidelines thread, and currently has a Five Star rating, I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Not to mention, I'm not sure dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator is the best way forward. I mean, do we really want more of this:
auscyclefan94 said:
Because today's syage is highlighted with a very long descent off the madeline I was wondering who do people think is the best desender in the wordl. Apologise if I miss anbody obvious pick for the poll.
Just wondering.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
very interesting thread :eek:

peloton, peloton...not pelaton.

laziness using the caps key typing too. i seldom use caps text messaging. apostrophe's are conveniently dropped as well.

it must be so annoying for good writers to read the spelling, punctuation, and grammar murdered.

peloton - definitely deserves to be spelled correctly. i was spelling as i heard it pronounced...i guess. nah, not a good excuse. i've read the word too many times.

think i'll just let some time pass and remove my location from the profile :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Interesting.

On another forum that I moderate on (a Professional IT forum) typos are fine, but txt speak isn't.

If someone shorthands their post using things like:, "2 b honest i dont no" their post will be automatically deleted. If they keep doing it, they get banned. :D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Gingerale said:
apostrophe's are conveniently dropped as well.
Or in this case, added when they are not required! :D

I'm not too fussed about spelling, although it drives me crazy when I mess up. Here are my two pet peeves; both seem to be recent phenomena:

1. Loose instead of lose. "He's going to loose the maillot jaune."
2. Adding an apostrophe when a word is pluralized. "Thor Hushovd won two stage's in the Tour de France this year."

/rant.

Martin318is said:
On another forum that I moderate on...
:eek:

Funny, I had you pegged for someone far, far more intelligent.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Interesting.

On another forum that I moderate on (a Professional IT forum) typos are fine, but txt speak isn't.

If someone shorthands their post using things like:, "2 b honest i dont no" their post will be automatically deleted. If they keep doing it, they get banned. :D

2b onest, they r rite.

Granville57 said:
<snip>

Not to mention, I'm not sure dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator is the best way forward. I mean, do we really want more of this:

auscyclefan94 said:
Because today's syage is highlighted with a very long descent off the madeline I was wondering who do people think is the best desender in the wordl. Apologise if I miss anbody obvious pick for the poll.
Just wondering.
Am, I think the answer is Thor Hushovd? :D

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
arrgh. are expressions allowed? lol, uhg, umm, er...

no more than 5 smilies. check. or the post will not go through. :eek:

gotta appreciate a british columbian around ;)

i will avoid apostrophe usage at all cost!

peloton...peloton...

i'm so exited i can barely type!

exiting now :D

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Interesting.

this made be laugh because it reminds me of disemvoweling. i belong to a private paid-subscriber-only professional forum. there is almost no moderation and discussions can get quite heated. to sign up for the forum you have to pay a subscriber fee and submit your credentials. you can immediately start posting before your credentials are confirmed once the fee is paid. because moderation is voluntary and confirming credentials takes time, new members are allowed to enter immediately on the honor system. occasionally, we get trolls who pay the subscriber fee and submit phony credentials. they are almost always immediately busted by the nature of their posts. the moderator has a script that goes through all of that person's posts and removes all of the vowels. the forum doesn't block the user because it continues to charge the poster's credit card/paypal until they submit a quit request, but all of their subsequent posts are automatically disemvoweled before they go up.

on another note; i am sympathetic to the argument of some of the posters here that spelling, grammar, etc. don't matter as long as we understand the meaning. (as you can see, i don't like using the shift key unless it is absolutely necessary.) However, the style one employs in one's posts sends a message to the readers about that person. what kind of impression do you think it sends to have a post filled with misteaks:)D)? what kind of impression do you want to send?

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
LOL...most people are here to read about cycling, not get graded on their spelling and grammar. I have never hit spellcheck on this forum...ever. Never will either. It's a cycling forum, not grade school. :D

May 14, 2010
Visit site
PELOTON

Print it and tape it on your monitor. It is annoying when it's spelled wrong by people who are supposed to be interested in cycling.

Not much can be done about english usage in the forums; their/they're/there, your/you're, lose/loose, etc., are all words correctly spelled but employed improperly, often. But egregious misspellings should I agree be added to the banned words list. That would solve the peloton problem.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Interesting.

this is my feeling.

i could care less about typos.
text speak is very lame tho. (you could argue tho is txt, but is the only word I use in such a manner.)